HELP, 'GS plugin failed to open' Error
Hello all,

Here is my situation.
I have window 7 OS with Intel HD Graphics(I believe this GPU supports 3D), Intel i5 core, 8G RAM, 500GB HDD.
I installed PCSX2, directx 9.0c, directx 10, visual c++ 2010.
When I try to run it, it says "GS plugin failed to open. Your computer may have insufficient resources, or incompatible hardware/drivers. Press Ok to go to the Plugin Configuration Panel."
Can someone tell me what the problem is??

I uninstalled PCSX, directx, restarted and installed again, but it still gives me GS plugin failed to open.

Strange thing is that I try playing it on an old laptop, manufactured in 2005. It has Pentium M 2.26GHz, 1GB RAM, and it worked! Only bad news is that it's too slow to play.
I noticed this laptop has Windows XP, and the one with the problem is Windows 7. Is it possibly because of the OS??

I did everything it says on the PCSX2 installation guide and FAQs, and nothing worked.

Is possible that Intel HD Graphics does not support 3D??

I'm attaching DXDiag.txt.
Someone please help... Thanks.

Attached Files
.txt   DxDiag.txt (Size: 29,46 KB / Downloads: 376)

Sponsored links

I think perhaps is your integred graphic card, not strong enough.
(01-09-2013, 05:24 PM)hdammy Wrote: Hello all,

Here is my situation.
I have window 7 OS with Intel HD Graphics(I believe this GPU supports 3D), Intel i5 core, 8G RAM, 500GB HDD.
I installed PCSX2, directx 9.0c, directx 10, visual c++ 2010.
When I try to run it, it says "GS plugin failed to open. Your computer may have insufficient resources, or incompatible hardware/drivers. Press Ok to go to the Plugin Configuration Panel."
Can someone tell me what the problem is??

I uninstalled PCSX, directx, restarted and installed again, but it still gives me GS plugin failed to open.

Strange thing is that I try playing it on an old laptop, manufactured in 2005. It has Pentium M 2.26GHz, 1GB RAM, and it worked! Only bad news is that it's too slow to play.
I noticed this laptop has Windows XP, and the one with the problem is Windows 7. Is it possibly because of the OS??

I did everything it says on the PCSX2 installation guide and FAQs, and nothing worked.

Is possible that Intel HD Graphics does not support 3D??

I'm attaching DXDiag.txt.
Someone please help... Thanks.

Lets guess: is PCSX2 installed under C:\Program Files (or its x86 counterpart)? or under the Documents folder?

Yes, you may be right and is the OS itself, Win Vista and newer creates all kind of "access rights" issues to programs installed in those folders which sadly are the default for installation.

Install PCSX2 again somewhere else, even C:\WhateverName you create yourself and install games there will do the trick (yes, that is valid for PC games also, mainly those using plugins and mods).

This alone should resolve a lot problems, some you aren't even aware yet.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Hello can i ask you one question Nosisab Ken Keleh,

When "hdammy" has 'GS plugin failed If he run as admin, change that something?
(01-09-2013, 06:04 PM)sandra23 Wrote: Hello can i ask you one question Nosisab Ken Keleh,

When "hdammy" has 'GS plugin failed If he run as admin, change that something?

You'd not believe the range of problems that "access rights" can bring. Some seem to not make sense at all.

Besides, I did not grant it was the cause but before getting rid of that non blessed "specially protected" folder the user is subject to lots of problems later on, so let's make the right thing from start.

PS: Besides, just by having to play a game as "administrator" already show things are wrong and is a good practice to avoid any software to run under administrative privileges when not explicitly necessary. To install a game that privilege may be needed for the game may want to install things like directX and other under the system folders, but should never be necessary to "play" a game.

Last but not the least, this kind of advice slowly but surely teaches the user to avoid those folders when installing any game, including native PC ones because it is not an issue related with PCSX2 only and contrary of PCSX2 some games may be much harder to reinstall later on, mainly if loaded with many mods, and these moddable games are the Windows Vista (and later) security mechanism main targets.
athough that seems to be nosisab's favourite solution at the moment, i suspect all you have to do is run the program from this link and then it will work. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...aspx?id=35
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Thank you for your answers
(01-09-2013, 07:10 PM)refraction Wrote: athough that seems to be nosisab's favourite solution at the moment, i suspect all you have to do is run the program from this link and then it will work. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...aspx?id=35

Yes, it will be my favorite answer every time I see PCSX2 installed at one those directories, even when I know that will not resolve the immediate problem it will avoid future ones.

Sometimes I give the same advice for PC games as well... at least have been doing it at Nexus forums since Windows Vista debut.

Edit: and the kind of problems those directories cause in moddable PC games is order of magnitude harder to troubleshoot than those on PCSX2, for obvious reasons.

Among the strange issues Windows sometimes simply move files to hidden folders what might cause the game's misbehavior, simply crashing and poor mod creators being blamed to death.
Personnaly I haven't seen much of that issue on windows 7, however windows 8 its totally rampent and does very odd things, like if you delete a file and replace it with an empty file of the same name, it will restore the original one. Very scary.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(01-09-2013, 09:39 PM)refraction Wrote: Personnaly I haven't seen much of that issue on windows 7, however windows 8 its totally rampent and does very odd things, like if you delete a file and replace it with an empty file of the same name, it will restore the original one. Very scary.

I tell it from personal experience, being active on Nexus forums helping with games like the Bethesda ones (Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout NV and Skyrim and non Bethesda related as Dragon Age, etc). The access rights issues are old, as old as Windows Vista itself. And even so, still today there are those unaware of the dangers, being the default install folder on almost all installers does not help understanding those folders should be avoided Sad

If was to enroll all the different issues related with C:\Program Files seen in all these years it would flood this thread.