HELP! lag on pcsx2!
Star 
OK, so here's my situation. no matter what settings I try with pcsx2 I always seem to get lag in my games and their really shouldn't be any because my system is OK in spec. first of all, here are my specs:

windows 7 32 bit
500GB Sata Hard drive
4 GB DDR2 RAM
Intel Quad Core processor Q6600 @ 2.4ghz but overclocked to 3.2ghz
ATI Radeon HD 5830 1GB Graphics Card

The problem:
I will use resident evil 4 as an example here. when I start the game everything loads up fine. all cutscenes and everything work great. no screen issues or anything but when I finally get in game I get a weird situation. their is lag when I am running forwards but if I turn around and run the opposite way then it runs at 60fps no problem. its only when I am running forward or in a wide open area that I get lag. and this is with all of the games I have tried. I've tested around 30 of my original ps2 discs and get the same situation with all of them. the closest I got to a game running full speed was Fahrenheit PAL and it runs at 57-60 fps. I have also ripped some of my games to ISO's but it doesn't make a difference. all of my emulation settings are at default except the speedhacks menu. no matter what settings I get I still get the same problem but I have found my games run best when the EE and VU is set to 0. but mVU Flag Hack, MVTU, Enable Wait Loop Detection and Enable INTC spin detection are on.

My plugins being used are:

GSdx 5084 (SSSE3) 0.1.16 with Direct X 11 Hardware Renderer
LilyPad svn
SPU2-X r5025 2.0.0
cdvdGigaherz (r4488) 0.8.0
USBnull Driver 0.7.0
FWnull Driver 0.7.0
DEV9null Driver 0.5.0

I am using the latest build of pcsx2. which is currently 0.99.5037 (svn)

I get an extra 3-5 frames when I play in native and my EE and GS metre are stable whilst playing. EE ranges from 40-50% and GS ranges from 30-40% but I don't have such a bad computer. I can max battlefield 3 with this rig. why am I experiencing these problems? can someone help me please? I would really appreciate any advice or help for this situation. Thank You

Sponsored links

Are you running the game from the original DVD? If so, try making an ISO image and running that instead.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(01-29-2012, 02:50 PM)Bositman Wrote: Are you running the game from the original DVD? If so, try making an ISO image and running that instead.

yeah I have already tried that. still get the same error with most of my games Sad I haven't gotten a perfect constant 60fps emulation yet Sad and my specs are decent
Go to GSdx config, check "allow 8 bit textures" and try how it works with it, usually it's very usefull in radeons as they lack memory bandwidth needed soo much in pcsx2, but in some games it can be opposite and give you a slowdown, soo make note it's not an universal setting. Also you could decrease internal res couse obviously your GPU is at fault here and you didn't post what internal res/upscalling are you using. Don't compare pc games to emulation, you waste loads of hardware just to fill the difference between ps2 and pc architecture here soo don't expect same results.
(01-29-2012, 03:20 PM)miseru99 Wrote: Go to GSdx config, check "allow 8 bit textures" and try how it works with it, usually it's very usefull in radeons as they lack memory bandwidth needed soo much in pcsx2, but in some games it can be opposite and give you a slowdown, soo make note it's not an universal setting. Also you could decrease internal res couse obviously your GPU is at fault here and you didn't post what internal res/upscalling are you using. Don't compare pc games to emulation, you waste loads of hardware just to fill the difference between ps2 and pc architecture here soo don't expect same results.

Smile Thanks a bunch, this has made resident evil 4 at least. pretty playable Smile running at around 54-60 frames but only in native res :/ why is my gpu at fault here exactly? I don't understand how a GB graphics card can suffer such problems to only run at less than full speed at the playstation 2's native res. should I switch back to my old radeon HD 3870 for ps2 emulation?
Like I said radeons have fairy low memory bandwidth(in compare to nvidia and generally pcsx2 needs), that option can often cut alot of that demand, but in cost of increased work for gpu core. 125gb/s of your gpu should be more than enough normally for getting x3 or sooTongue, but I guess it's just your choice of games is gpu heavy. It could also be something else, ie if your mobo has just pci-e x16 1.0 and your gpu cannot use it's full power even if it seems like in pc games.

You could also get better results if you turn off any web browser you have turned on while playing, for me althrough I have just hd5670, just a few flash or even non-flash pages opened can lag gsdx like hell in more demanding games at least.
(01-29-2012, 03:37 PM)miseru99 Wrote: Like I said radeons have fairy low memory bandwidth(in compare to nvidia and generally pcsx2 needs), that option can often cut alot of that demand, but in cost of increased work for gpu core. 125gb/s of your gpu should be more than enough normally for getting x3 or sooTongue, but I guess it's just your choice of games is gpu heavy. It could also be something else, ie if your mobo has just pci-e x16 1.0 and your gpu cannot use it's full power even if it seems like in pc games.

You could also get better results if you turn off any web browser you have turned on while playing, for me althrough I have just hd5670, just a few flash or even non-flash pages opened can lag gsdx like hell in more demanding games at least.

thanks for the help Smile its really got my hopes up now lol. maybe after all I can play my fav ps2 games once again Smile I ended a lot of my processes in task manager and I can run resident evil 4 in 2x native with virtually no problems Smile slight frame drops when I'm in a huge area. but nothing that puts me off gameplay completely Smile I do have 1 more problem though. when I try to play metal gear solid 3: snake eater, it runs fine during the first area, then the second area the frames drop significantly. each new area is different. is can either run it at full speed or it lags dramaticly lol. do you know any fixes for that by any chance?
MGS3 is much much harder to emulate than RE4 so you have no chance with that PC.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(01-29-2012, 04:03 PM)Bositman Wrote: MGS3 is much much harder to emulate than RE4 so you have no chance with that PC.

lol thanks for the encouragement XD, its OK, I wasn't too bothered about that anyway. I have a ps3 and the HD remastered collection for mgs comes out in like a week in the uk. so I'll just buy that. but I just thought that mgs 3 would be like the ultimate test. if I could get that working at full speed I could run most games. so.... now it's pretty much a game of hit and miss right? I just have to keep testing games and see which ones work? and how will I know what games will work with my specs? guess I'll just have to hope for my fav games to work huh?
i dont know if you're using a different version of pcsx2, because im on 0.9.8 and i cant find an 8-bit thingamajig button in the place you said. i can run kingdom hearts I with about 50-60 fps, but when i start any gameplay including the title menu for some reason, the title screen having 30 fps and any and all gameplay 20 fps. if you know any lag fixes for 0.9.8 please reply