Half Life stutter
Wondering why Half Life doesnt feel smooth on PCSX2, theres no reports of faults on the PCSX2 wiki, all report max FPS or even 300% on older hardware. Just playing it, i seem to have an un-smooth experience compared to the real PS2 version. Im having the PAL version. which works perfectly fine on the PS2 (aside from the <20 fps it gets on the actual PS2.
Its just the microstutter feel thats there, im using one of the latest builds on a i5 3550, tried all modes soft and hardware, no difference.
One of the least demanding PS2 games to emulate, yet one that gives me problems. Can play TimeSplitters Future Perfect just like on PS2 but not Half Life.

Someone reported having it running 50/50 fps on the PAL version with a ancient E2160, maybe their getting full speed but not smooth gameplay?

Sponsored links

Are you playing the game straight from the disc or ISO?

What are the rest of your computer specs?
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Playing straight from the disc its un-playable, from image its playable but not smooth.
Gtx660/8gb ddr3/1tb hdd 7200rpm.
Cant imagine hardware being the problem, game not either as it feels smoother on the ps2 (altough longer load times). Wouldnt i never had them played at the same time i wouldnt have thought about it, but knowing it i just wonder why half life has to be stuttery on pcsx2.
Could you post your emulator log to see if it provides any clues? maybe your emulator settings too.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Havent been playing around PCSX2 for a while until recently, thought saying that i didnt have the same stutter on my old 920 (must be something on the i5 pc), will look further whats causing the behaviour, seems only be half life anway.
It could just be the game. Smuggler's Run runs like ***** internally regardless of what settings you have.
(05-03-2017, 05:26 PM)CK1 Wrote: It could just be the game. Smuggler's Run runs like ***** internally regardless of what settings you have.

Very true, had this for GTA3, felt very laggy on PCSX2, fired it up on the real ps2 and it was laggy on the exact same spots (when driving fast beachside for exemple). But for Half Life, it seems somehow stuttery on PCSX2, but not on the real PS2, only game so far that does this. On my 920 it feels better, but not as smooth as PS2. No idea why, half life is a very light game to emulate, even in software with blending accuracy to full.
Planning to play Decay with a familymember, the real PS2 is ruled out as the CD tray is quit loud on that game cause its a blue cd game, on openps2loader it doesnt have any music playback. That and PCSX2 gives much better internal res, just the stutter il have to live with if i dont find out whats causing it Tongue

Edit: havent exacly tested all hardware hacks in combination with all modes, but if i find the cause/fix il update that here.
(05-03-2017, 05:34 PM)Aggressor22 Wrote: Very true, had this for GTA3, felt very laggy on PCSX2, fired it up on the real ps2 and it was laggy on the exact same spots (when driving fast beachside for exemple). But for Half Life, it seems somehow stuttery on PCSX2, but not on the real PS2, only game so far that does this. On my 920 it feels better, but not as smooth as PS2. No idea why, half life is a very light game to emulate, even in software with blending accuracy to full.
Planning to play Decay with a familymember, the real PS2 is ruled out as the CD tray is quit loud on that game cause its a blue cd game, on openps2loader it doesnt have any music playback. That and PCSX2 gives much better internal res, just the stutter il have to live with if i dont find out whats causing it Tongue

Edit: havent exacly tested all hardware hacks in combination with all modes, but if i find the cause/fix il update that here.

IOP interpreter sometimes gives better throughput in certain situations. It could be worth a try.
Doing that the game crashes after going through certain areas, loaded a savestate though. Could be it was a abit smoother, could be placebo effect, wasnt PS2 smooth atleast.
Looking at this youtube video, there it seems very smooth just like ps2 if not better, but dont know if thats cause of youtube, if not, its probally something on my end,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyPJdmwX28k