Hardware mode - colored/distorted screen borders
I've tried various settings tweaks to try and fix this, but it's difficult to test because even when using identical settings, the issue doesn't always appear (only maybe 50% of the time).

Basically the edges of my screen (always the right and/or bottom) will frequently appear distorted when using hardware mode for my GS plugin. See the attached pics, which are from Castlevania LoI (every game is affected, though). I know I can zoom the screen to fix the bottom, but the side distortion remains.

Sorry if this is already a known issue. I did a search but didn't find any previous posts on this.

I'm using v1.2.1, with an i7 3770 @3.5ghz and Nvidia GTX 680 (332.21)

EDIT: It looks a lot worse in-game than in those shots, because the image is pillarboxed with black on the left and right, instead of gray as they are here. On my screen, those little red slivers stand out in a major way.

EDIT 2: If you have a picture viewer on your computer that uses a black background, like FastStone, you can see the problem much clearer.
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
Intel i7 3770K @3.5ghz
Nvidia GTX 680
16 gigs RAM

Sponsored links

(02-14-2014, 01:25 AM)ThreeSon Wrote: I've tried various settings tweaks to try and fix this, but it's difficult to test because even when using identical settings, the issue doesn't always appear (only maybe 50% of the time).

Basically the edges of my screen (always the right and/or bottom) will frequently appear distorted when using hardware mode for my GS plugin. See the attached pics, which are from Castlevania LoI (every game is affected, though). I know I can zoom the screen to fix the bottom, but the side distortion remains.

Sorry if this is already a known issue. I did a search but didn't find any previous posts on this.

I'm using v1.2.1, with an i7 3770 @3.5ghz and Nvidia GTX 680 (332.21)

Edit: It looks a lot worse in-game than in those shots, because the image is pillarboxed with black bars on the left and right. On my screen, those little red slivers stand out in a major way.

So it looks fine in software mode?
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
(02-14-2014, 08:13 AM)Donovan24 Wrote: So it looks fine in software mode?

I think so. Or at least, I can't remember ever seeing those kinds of distortions in software mode.

I'd prefer not to have to always use software, of course. Have you never seen a problem like this before? I'm not using an exotic GPU or anything, so I would've thought at least a few other people have also had this issue.
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
Intel i7 3770K @3.5ghz
Nvidia GTX 680
16 gigs RAM
Maybe it's only me but I can not see any distortion (?)

Edit: Sorry.. now I see it.

You also change internal resolution by changing to software mode... What is your resolution setting in gsdx?
(02-14-2014, 01:47 PM)willkuer Wrote: Maybe it's only me but I can not see any distortion (?)

Edit: Sorry.. now I see it.

You also change internal resolution by changing to software mode... What is your resolution setting in gsdx?

EDIT: Gah... you cannot see the problem in these shots. Let me try a different screenshot method and I'll update this post in a bit.

Yeah, it's harder to see in the shots on these forums. Mostly it's noticeable during "fade to black" moments in games where that bright-colored border really stands out in an ugly way. Here's a couple of shots from the Final Fantasy XII intro (with the distortion on the bottom) and Disgaea (distortion along the right and bottom) that might be easier to see.

As far as resolution - the problem is definitely worse when using resolutions that are 2x native, 3x native, etc. But it shows up even in native res as well. Here is another shot from Disgaea, this time using native res instead of 2x (all the other shots were taken using 2x native). This time the distortion only shows up on the bottom left border, and is not as noticeable:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
Intel i7 3770K @3.5ghz
Nvidia GTX 680
16 gigs RAM
Alright, I can't find a way to take screenshots that make it easier to see, but I've narrowed down the problem enough to make it easier to explain. To see what's causing the issue, open up the following two pictures in two different browser tabs, and then switch back and forth between the two:

The top image was taken in hardware mode 2x native res, and the bottom image was taken in software mode. Notice how the rendered screen in the bottom image "shifts" one pixel down and to the right compared to the top image? That's the problem.

The bottom image is correctly aligned, and the top image is misaligned, which is why there is that one pixel-wide colored border visible on the bottom and right in-game (You can't really see the colored border in these shots, but you should be able to notice the shift in position if you switch back and forth between the two pics. In-game you can definitely see the problem and it's quite distracting and ugly).

So basically I'm trying to find a way to re-align the image when using hardware mode, if that is possible.

EDIT: If you have a picture viewer on your computer that uses a black background, like FastStone, you can see the problem in the top image much clearer.
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
Intel i7 3770K @3.5ghz
Nvidia GTX 680
16 gigs RAM
TC offset hacks in the hardware hacks section might help you. it shifts texture coordinates around. don't think it can do negative values though
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
(02-14-2014, 09:21 PM)hellbringer616 Wrote: TC offset hacks in the hardware hacks section might help you. it shifts texture coordinates around. don't think it can do negative values though

That specific fix doesn't affect it, but trying it out led to an improvement anyway - The act of pausing the emulation and opening up the video settings suspends the GS plugin. From there, even if I restart the emulation without changing any settings, the image is now aligned correctly.

So it appears to be a workaround of sorts, if a bit cumbersome. It should work for now anyway. It looks like I don't have to manually pause the emulation either - Two F9 presses in-game will also do it.

Hopefully that info is useful for the development team. Thanks all for the assistance.

EDIT: Ugh. Just when I thought I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore - It looks like this workaround only works on certain games. When trying the fix for Suikoden III, the misaligned picture returned no matter how many times I tried to refresh the GS plugin. So it looks like this will be an ongoing issue for me. Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
Intel i7 3770K @3.5ghz
Nvidia GTX 680
16 gigs RAM
Can you please show us all your pcsx2 settings.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
(02-15-2014, 10:28 AM)Donovan24 Wrote: Can you please show us all your pcsx2 settings.

Sure. I've attached my ini files. Let me know if you want any more info. These are my typical settings - using D3D 11 hardware mode at 2x internal resolution, v-synce enabled (toggling v-sync doesn't fix the issue), zoom at 102%, and MTVU speedhack enabled (I've tried disabling speedhacks entirely, which didn't work). I believe everything else is at its default setting.

Some more details: After testing further, I confirmed that this issue only occurs when running in hardware mode using higher than native internal resolutions (2x, 3x, etc.). But it doesn't matter which hardware rendered I use (D3D9, D3D11, and OpenGL - all the same problem). And it happens regardless of whether I boot the games using the real DVD, the DVD image mounted on a virtual drive, or directly from the ISO file.

Also, whenever I open up the BIOS/plugin selector window in PCX2, I get the following error stream in the log window:

[wx] Failed to load shared library 'C:\Games\Emulation\PlayStation 2\PCSX2\Plugins\gsdx32-avx2-r5864.dll' (error -1073741795: unknown error c000001d)
Path: C:\Games\Emulation\PlayStation 2\PCSX2\Plugins\gsdx32-avx2-r5864.dll
File is not a valid dynamic library.

Some kinda plugin failure: C:\Games\Emulation\PlayStation 2\PCSX2\Plugins\gsdx32-avx2-r5864.dll
[wx] Failed to load shared library 'C:\Games\Emulation\PlayStation 2\PCSX2\Plugins\gsdx32-avx2-r5875.dll' (error -1073741795: unknown error c000001d)

Path: C:\Games\Emulation\PlayStation 2\PCSX2\Plugins\gsdx32-avx2-r5875.dll
File is not a valid dynamic library.

Some kinda plugin failure: C:\Games\Emulation\PlayStation 2\PCSX2\Plugins\gsdx32-avx2-r5875.dll

I've tried using a completely fresh install of PCSX2, including fresh plugins, but that error stream happens anyway. Also, it doesn't matter which GSdx plugin I use (AVX, SSE2, SSE41, or SSSE3) - all of them have the same problem with the in-game video and the same log error output when I open the plugin selector window. I am using the compressed package version of PCSX2 v1.2.1 (with Visual C++ Studio 2013 12.0.21005 installed).

Attached Files
.txt   PCSX2_ui.ini.txt (Size: 4,68 KB / Downloads: 238)
.txt   PCSX2_vm.ini.txt (Size: 1,83 KB / Downloads: 191)
.txt   GSdx.ini.txt (Size: 562 bytes / Downloads: 172)
.txt   LayerBreakCache.ini.txt (Size: 36 bytes / Downloads: 148)
.txt   cdvdGigaherz.ini.txt (Size: 20 bytes / Downloads: 143)
.txt   SPU2-X.ini.txt (Size: 1,18 KB / Downloads: 189)
.txt   padPokopom.ini.txt (Size: 1,98 KB / Downloads: 182)
.txt   Dev9null.ini.txt (Size: 13 bytes / Downloads: 129)
.txt   FWnull.ini.txt (Size: 13 bytes / Downloads: 151)
.txt   USBnull.ini.txt (Size: 13 bytes / Downloads: 165)
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
Intel i7 3770K @3.5ghz
Nvidia GTX 680
16 gigs RAM