Hardware or Software Renderer on Xeon?
Hi all,

I run an older Xeon based rig for emulation (dual CPU - e5 2667s - 32gb ram, GTX 1050ti).
No issues with anything other than a few odd fps drops on really cpu intensive stages in Tekken Tag (even SOTC runs fine).

My question: Are the software renderers multithreaded? Would I get better framerates / smoother gameplay switching to a software renderer given i've got 12 cores to play with @ 2.9ghz?

I realise most people here probably not running xeons but figured was worth an ask. - I asked a similar question on the dolphin forums the other day and was just met with a torrent of "baaaaa old cpus are crap baaaaa go away" so hoping you guys might be more helpful!

Cheers!

Sponsored links

you can try, but that won't help much.
actually, pcsx2 will require high per-core processing power.
Your CPU's STR barely reaches the minimum 1600.

intensive games will require over 2000.
so, no, sorry. more threads won't bring many improvements
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
That makes sense, cheers @jesalvein.

Don't have any issues really running most games @ 2000x2000 internal resolution (weird resolution because otherwise I get black lines on Soul Calibre 3 and seems to be the highest internal res I can get away with still having good fps) so will just leave it alone!

For context - I'm setting up a new emulation station for my students ( I teach games design in a college) hence the slightly weird hardware config of a dual xeon workstation. Was previously running a single i3 but it's just inadequate for anything but retro games so built a new rig out of what bits I could scrounge.
that's a good setup to run 3 emus at the same time.
but apart from that...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
If your system's GPU is good, then we would strongly recommend running a hardware renderer. The software renderer rarely matches hardware for speed, and with the current design the upper limit where extra rendering threads stop helping varies per system but best case is somewhere around 6 to 8. Beyond that, the extra threads don't have enough to do, and you start slowing down again due to scheduler overhead increases.