Help! Graphics config for Ratchet & Clank 2 & 3?
Here's a puzzler...(sorry, I don't mean to make you guys go crazy with suggestions - I'm trying everything and I vastly appreciate your help)

Starting it in Direct3D11 with MTVU, EE cycle rate 2, and fx shader, texture filtering, and FXAA disabled...I'm getting 40 FPS and slow-mo.
If I hit F9, it jumps to 60 FPS and normal speed. In fact, it plays flawlessly. However, approx. half of the textures rendered are glitched.

Sponsored links

(06-24-2014, 11:01 PM)willkuer Wrote: Yes, probably it is needed but considering he hasn't used speedhacks before and already had 20-40 fps it is possible that he could live with recommended + mtvu. Don't know if ee can create problems. (never had problems with EE or VU sliders... but since they are considered as 'dangerous')

The op's cpu is clocked 100mhz above mine and is the same architecture. I was just playing some Ratchet and Clank going commando and needed the EE cyclerate hack almost maxed out to maintain 60fps.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(06-24-2014, 11:19 PM)TheRybka Wrote: Here's a puzzler...(sorry, I don't mean to make you guys go crazy with suggestions - I'm trying everything and I vastly appreciate your help)

Starting it in Direct3D11 with MTVU, EE cycle rate 2, and fx shader, texture filtering, and FXAA disabled...I'm getting 40 FPS and slow-mo.
If I hit F9, it jumps to 60 FPS and normal speed. In fact, it plays flawlessly. However, approx. half of the textures rendered are glitched.

This is well-known. F9 toggles software/hardware renderer.
In HW renderer some load is put to the gpu. Therefore the performance is better. In SW renderer the rendering is more precise but only on the cpu which should handle all the other stuff as well. Therefore the performance is worse.

HW renderer: gpu depending, often fast, possible glitches, (+ some nice hw hacks/tweaks)
SW renderer: cpu depending, often slow, almost as perfect as the original ps2 image

Edit: Please consider what Nobbs is advising: Increase the EE-slider. (maybe even max it out.). You can also play with the vu-slider. But this one can fake wrong fps-readings. Maxing both sliders will probably always end in slow-downs.
If you want to play even below 60fps and the sound is annoying you can try async-mix (as output mode instead of timestretch) in the spu2-x plugin settings. For some game/slowdown combinations this yields better results.
Please consider also again using the latest stable release(1.2.1) because of the performance benefit due to the compilation routine as well the available avx2 plugin.
i had this on a notepad, hope it works for you.
you have to edit the (system?) ini

Ratchet and clank fix:

[Settings]
ShadeBoost_Contrast=50
ShadeBoost_Brightness=50
ShadeBoost_Saturation=50
Adapter=default
ModeWidth=0
ModeHeight=0
ModeRefreshRate=0
Renderer=4
Interlace=7
AspectRatio=0
upscale_multiplier=1
MaxAnisotropy=0
windowed=1
filter=2
paltex=0
logz=1
fba=1
aa1=0
nativeres=1
resx=1024
resy=1024
extrathreads=3
AnisotropicFiltering=0
ShadeBoost=1
Fxaa=0
shaderfx=0
UserHacks=0
Everyone, thank you for all the help! What a great community!
(06-24-2014, 11:34 PM)willkuer Wrote: This is well-known. F9 toggles software/hardware renderer.
In HW renderer some load is put to the gpu. Therefore the performance is better. In SW renderer the rendering is more precise but only on the cpu which should handle all the other stuff as well. Therefore the performance is worse.

HW renderer: gpu depending, often fast, possible glitches, (+ some nice hw hacks/tweaks)
SW renderer: cpu depending, often slow, almost as perfect as the original ps2 image

Edit: Please consider what Nobbs is advising: Increase the EE-slider. (maybe even max it out.). You can also play with the vu-slider. But this one can fake wrong fps-readings. Maxing both sliders will probably always end in slow-downs.
If you want to play even below 60fps and the sound is annoying you can try async-mix (as output mode instead of timestretch) in the spu2-x plugin settings. For some game/slowdown combinations this yields better results.
Please consider also again using the latest stable release(1.2.1) because of the performance benefit due to the compilation routine as well the available avx2 plugin.
Ohhh, I see now. Thank you! I thought F9 just restarted software rendering. I'm going to try your suggestions, and then post back here.

Additionally, I am running 1.2.1, but I'm still not seeing avx2. Are you sure that that's not part of a beta release?

(06-25-2014, 12:31 AM)megafilipe Wrote: i had this on a notepad, hope it works for you.
you have to edit the (system?) ini

Ratchet and clank fix:

[Settings]
ShadeBoost_Contrast=50
ShadeBoost_Brightness=50
ShadeBoost_Saturation=50
Adapter=default
ModeWidth=0
ModeHeight=0
ModeRefreshRate=0
Renderer=4
Interlace=7
AspectRatio=0
upscale_multiplier=1
MaxAnisotropy=0
windowed=1
filter=2
paltex=0
logz=1
fba=1
aa1=0
nativeres=1
resx=1024
resy=1024
extrathreads=3
AnisotropicFiltering=0
ShadeBoost=1
Fxaa=0
shaderfx=0
UserHacks=0
Thanks so much! Where is this .ini? Seeing as these are all pcsx2 plugin settings I checked my install folder, but haven't seen anything. I'll try poking around a bit more and possibly just setting these correlating values through the menu, if nothing else.

EDIT: Woohoo, it's running smoothly! EE cycle rate maxed at 3 and VU cycle stealing set to 0 yields the overall best performance. Thank you guys so much!
One last question before I relive the R&C series - what's the best way to get the best resolution possible?
My documents>PCSX2>inis>GSdx
(06-25-2014, 02:09 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: My documents>PCSX2>inis>GSdx
Perfect! Those settings are buttery smooth; I approve. Thanks again!

So my final question, now that everything is operational. In D3D Hardware I can set the resolution to 3x native, and the game looks great. However, I need to run it in D3D Software, and the native resolution is so small that it gives nearly everything jagged edges. Is there a way to change D3D Software's native resolution scaling?
Nope.