[Help] Increase FPS
Sad 
So I thought I could run games with my new laptop (i7-4500U, GT740M, 8gb RAM, win 8.1) but I'm only getting tops 20fps for games such as Jak X, Kingdom Hearts 2 and Scaler.

I haven't changed any of the configs as I thought it would be best to leave it but does anyone know how to increase my framerate up to something substantial?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored links

PCSX2 does not work well with Ultrabooks(I assume you got one).
Laptop doesn't supposed to play demanding graphics games, moreover a PS2 game via emulator.

Unless you buy mega overprice high end gaming laptop.
PC Specs: AMD FX 8350, 16GB RAM, GTX 780
Games beaten with PCSX2: Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, Persona 4
I don't agree. The GT740M is good enough, and the i7-4500U, while not ideal, should be enough to run PCSX2 at a decent speed. However, you will need to force your processor to run at turbo boost (2.7ghz, instead of the default 1.8ghz) using ThrottleStop.
ThrottleStop is dangerous since it forces your processor to ignore high temperatures, which could cause overheating and damage. The max temperature of your CPU is 100C, but other components in the laptop may have a lower threshold, so keep an eye on the temperatures and you should be fine. If temperatures get too high, simply reduce the multiplier.
I suggest doing some research before trying ThrottleStop. If you're ok with these risks, then get ThrottleStop, bump up the multiplier, turn it on, then run PCSX2. Remember to turn ThrottleStop off when you're done (closing the window isn't enough) or else you might break your laptop.
An i7-4500U is not as fast as you probably imagine it to be. ULV i7s don't come close to the full-power mobile or desktop ones.

However you should be getting higher framerates in the games you mention than what you are seeing. Enable some speedhacks and make sure you're running GSdx in hardware DirectX mode.
(08-10-2014, 01:20 PM)DrDaxxy Wrote: An i7-4500U is not as fast as you probably imagine it to be. ULV i7s don't come close to the full-power mobile or desktop ones.
Even though it's ULV, I think you could get by with a dual-core haswell @ 2.7ghz. A game like Kingdom Hearts 2 should run full-speed.

Also check Nvidia Control Panel and make sure that PCSX2 is actually using your GT740M ("high performance graphics processor") and not your integrated graphics.