Help! Recorded Audio and Video Out of Sync
Ok, my kids love them some FFX, so I have begun playing and recording to make a movie so that they can watch it at anytime. (For them, its the story, not the gameplay). Everything works fine, except the FPS drops to ~45 when recording. My problem is when I try to combine the video and audio, the output video and audio are slightly out of sync. The action happens, then you hear the video. What am I doing wrong? I have used Virtual dub, Sony Vegas, and Pinnacle but all have the same problem. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! BTW, I have searched the forums but can't seem to find anyone having this particular issue. If I missed it I apologize in advance. Thanks!

Sponsored links

I assume you're using the built-in recorder?
And yeah, I've seen the same thing happen, the delay is roughly 300ms for me when this occurs. To get around this, when muxing or re-encoding the files you have to set the audio delay manually. In VirtualDub you can do this in Audio -> Interleaving (Ctrl+i), don't know with the other programs. You could try Avidemux as well.

Alternatively, you can set the delay during playback with media players that support this, mplayer and frontends or mpc and derivatives can all do that, and I'm sure others as well. Just look around for things like audio delay or timeshift.
(12-01-2012, 10:39 PM)Eloris Wrote: I assume you're using the built-in recorder?
And yeah, I've seen the same thing happen, the delay is roughly 300ms for me when this occurs. To get around this, when muxing or re-encoding the files you have to set the audio delay manually. In VirtualDub you can do this in Audio -> Interleaving (Ctrl+i), don't know with the other programs. You could try Avidemux as well.

Alternatively, you can set the delay during playback with media players that support this, mplayer and frontends or mpc and derivatives can all do that, and I'm sure others as well. Just look around for things like audio delay or timeshift.

Yes I am. I'll give that a try as it has been driving me crazy.
I forgot one very irritating aspect of this. The audio is synced at the beginning, but gets worse at the end. I tried your suggestion but there was little improvement. Any other ideas? Thanks again.
Are you re-encoding the files? If so, will it go out-of-sync with the original untouched files as well?
To check you can play them back with players that support loading of external audiotracks (again, the mentioned (s)mplayer or mpc-hc can do that) or you can just quickly mux the audio and video without re-encoding them. I like avimux_gui for that, does exactly what it says (and does support mkv, despite the name).
I just tested with mpc-hc, and the same thing happens. In sync at the start, way off at the end. I am using the original h264 (avi) video and wav files created during the pcsx2 gameplay.
How far into a video does it take before you begin to notice the audio getting out of sync?

And if it's alright with you, volntn2000, could you upload a recording that goes off sync onto youtube for us to examine?
(12-02-2012, 08:13 PM)patrickdinh Wrote: How far into a video does it take before you begin to notice the audio getting out of sync?

And if it's alright with you, volntn2000, could you upload a recording that goes off sync onto youtube for us to examine?

I'm working on uploading the video, the link follows, with about 15 minutes of upload time remaining from now.

http://youtu.be/MTYtqQxmtiA

The sync is fine at the beginning, and then I start noticing a slight lag at ~16 minutes and gets progressively noticable. This particular recording is about 1:45, though I uploaded only the first hour.
I'm guessing the framerate is a bit off. Probably a mismatch with 29.97 vs 30.00fps (or 54.94 vs 60.00).

(30.00 / 29.97) x 60 x 16 = 960.96 seconds
(29.97 / 29.97) x 60 x 16 = 960.00 seconds

So through the course of 16 minutes, nearly a second of lag is introduced because the framerate isn't exactly set.
(12-02-2012, 10:19 PM)volntn2000 Wrote: I'm working on uploading the video, the link follows, with about 15 minutes of upload time remaining from now.

http://youtu.be/MTYtqQxmtiA

The sync is fine at the beginning, and then I start noticing a slight lag at ~16 minutes and gets progressively noticable. This particular recording is about 1:45, though I uploaded only the first hour.

Well crap - they deleted it because it was too long...