Help please! Am I doing this wrong?
Question 
I'm rather new to the emulation scene so I don't really know that much, Basically I'm curious about my frame rate in many games. I recently obtained a Phenom 2 x4 980 processor, I've overclocked it to 4GHZ. My other specs are: sapphire HD 5770, 4gbs of gskill at 1600mhz 460 watt psu and yeah... I kinda expected to be able to full speed pretty much any game with this setup butttt........... on mgs3 In some areas i get full speed, in others it can drop to like 35-40fps. In zone of the enders 2 I get 30 fps right at the starting mission. Valkyrie Profile 2 lags pretty bad at certain times and Xenosaga is good, and then a complete 30 fps mess sometimes. Is this normal? my settings in the emulator are: No speed hacks. Direct 3d eleven, 4x native, texture filtering, and 8bit textures. Running at 1080p. I'm on version .9.9. I would appreciate any tips, and thanks in advance for any input you guys put out! Laugh

Sponsored links

See MGS3 is the most demanding game ever seen on a ps2. Its cutscens run slow on a ps2 too. It needs around 4.2Ghz+ CPU to run at fullspeed. Don't know about AMD's.

Change it to 2x Native. 4x is higher and might cause a slowdown especially with that game. Speedhacks can be used and will help you get a slight speedup.

Use the MTVU Speedhack too. It will use 3'rd core.
Also, change the round/clamp modes to nearest/none in EE/VU.

Make sure your PC is set to High Performance to use 100% raw power of PC.
[Image: recodersignature2.png]
8bit textures are not that much of an improvement in any game I have played so far and MGS3 is really really stressing for both the CPU and the GPU so slowdowns maybe expected here and there.
For speeding up your games I suggest the MTVU hack.
It makes use of multi-core processors like yours to carry out instructions more efficiently.
And remember that AMD processors are not so good in emulation as compared to Intel processors so in short don't expect too much from that 4Ghz overclock rightnow.
Intel E5700 @3.0Ghz,
Xfx Radeon 5670 1Gb,
4Gb DDR3 Ram,
Microsoft Windows7 Ultimate x86
Yeah, that's pretty normal. You are trying to emulate some of the heaviest games, and you're not even using Speedhacks.

Do lower the internal res; not all games will keep full speed at 4x with that GPU.

Disable 8-bit textures; it's not always going to help (like changing clamping or rounding).

Enable the [Recommended] Speedhacks, and gradually try increasing the sliders to make sure the results are good.

Try the MTVU hack found in SVNs. It usually will help, but sometimes may not. You can also consider changing the VU1 recompiler to superVU as an alternative to MTVU, which can also improve speed (but may have issues with some).
@Speedy42 AMD CPU's aren't as fast as Intel with PCSX2, mainly due to their Instruction Set, but AMD CPU's aren't that terrible for PCSX2 Smile I'm running my 980 BE @ stock and I can play all my games @ 60 fps. Ofcourse a lil tweaking is necessary, but nevertheless AMD CPU's aren't bad in Emulation Smile
Amd isn't bad. Its pretty fine. But its not better than Intel. You will face speed problems while using emulator such as PCSX2. Then Phenom Series much better than Bulldozer. Tongue2

Also, AMD refuses to include the good instruction sets which makes many games work on Intel rather than AMD. (Although they agreed to include it in bulldozer and FX Series. Also, the Architecture of AMD is poor than Intel. Intels have much better clock performance per core. So when comparing on a thing like emulator/game or probably any other thing Intel Wins.
stop the boyfaning Tongue

both AMD and INTEL are nice

but...

each one has it own specializes :

Intel offer Speed and good instructions and with a hell of prices ( not proper for 60% of population )

while AMD offer price for performance and APU solutions ( 6550D is the best internal GPU i have ever seen )
AMD/ATI Cards are very nice. I use ATI Radeon HD 4650 2GB and can play every game at almost fullspeed. Smile

Intels are Costly but better. Tongue2
(12-26-2011, 02:13 PM)abdo123 Wrote: stop the boyfaning Tongue

both AMD and INTEL are nice

but...

each one has it own specializes :

Intel offer Speed and good instructions and with a hell of prices ( not proper for 60% of population )

while AMD offer price for performance and APU solutions ( 6550D is the best internal GPU i have ever seen )

We're talking about how it perform on PCSX2 here, anything from Intel on any price range would be better than AMD.

There's no "fanboying", it's just fact.
well not anything from Intel Wink I mean I wanna bet that a Celeron would majorly suck monkeyballs Tongue the only thing Intel is so good for PCSX is the Instruction Set (SSE4.x)