Help to choose a new processor to play PCSX2
Hello, I will buy a new PC and I need to choose a good processor.

I want to know what is the cheapest processor that is fast enough to play PS2 games with good quality, at full speed, without slowdown, without annoying problems, and with audio (I love game musics). My screen will not be larger than 17 inches.

How many cores should the processor have?
Should I run PCSX2 on Windows XP, Windows 7 or Ubuntu? 32 bit or 64 bit?

I do not want to use overclock.
I want to invest in a good processor and keep it for a long time.

Some of PS2 games that I want to play:
-Final Fantasy 10, 12
-Rogue Galaxy
-Radiata Stories
-God of War 1, 2
-Metal Gear Solid 2, 3
-Gran Turismo 4

PS2 is a huge world of games.

Thanks

Sponsored links

If you don't want to overclock, but hope to play those games so very well, you should get the fastest Core i processor you can. I know most those games could run great with minimal tweaking on a stock i5 2500. (No promises with GT4)

On the core count; I'd recommend 4 cores these days, but 2 cores is technically all you need. More can be additionally helpful with the MTVU hack, or when you're stuck in software rendering.
Pretty much the single best CPU to buy these days is the Intel 2500K, yea.
Beats everything else in price / performance and the more expensive Intel ones don't add much worth paying premium for.

Edit: And make it a desktop PC, of course Wink
the fastest I7 will perform well.
About the OS : better use win7 since it'll have Dx10 support (provided you new GPU suports it, of course Tongue2)
Quote:I want to know what is the cheapest processor that is fast enough to play PS2 games with good quality, at full speed, without slowdown, without annoying problems, and with audio (I love game musics)
wow. all at the same time ?
Quote:I do not want to use overclock.
u-oh. I hope you're not planning to run to much demanding games.
Quote:-Metal Gear Solid 2, 3
-Gran Turismo 4
ouch... Sad
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(12-29-2011, 07:24 PM)rama Wrote: Pretty much the single best CPU to buy these days is the Intel 2500K, yea.
Beats everything else in price / performance and the more expensive Intel ones don't add much worth paying premium for.

Edit: And make it a desktop PC, of course Wink

2600k now actually.... since the 2700k pushed its price down
You want a cheap processor, but also want to play the most resource demanding games, except for the Final Fantasy series.

Running PCSX2 on Windows is better. GSDX is the fastest and most compatible plugin, which is only available on Windows. XP or Seven does not affect the speed, although you'll need Seven for GSDX10, which is said to be more compatible. But still XP is good enough if you don't want to spend some Xtra money.

Here is some CPU I recommend:
  • If you have limited budget: Pentium G840, G850, G860
  • If you have fair budget: Core i3 2100, 2105, 2120, 2125, 2130
  • If you have good budget: Core i5 2500K (as said above)
have any of you heard the new rumors of Ivy Bridge coming out in March?
I heard it will come out in April 2012. Tongue2 Ahh. Its not Rumor its true. Tongue2
[Image: recodersignature2.png]
They say April but I won't be surprised if it's delayed again, maybe until June. Either way it's nothing to wait for unless you need a new notebook. Anyway if you want to play those games on stock speed get the 2500, but you will have to use speedhacks for a few games
I will forget Gran Turismo.
Is there a list of the most hardware demanding PS2 games?

I cannot use overclock, because I do not want to reduce the processor durability. I play games many hours a day.
Is Turbo Boost safe?

After many years with my ancient PC, I will replace it with a newer one.
A core i3 would be enough for my next PC, but I would choose a more expensive processor if it can play PS2 games.
I think I can buy a Core i5 2500K, but if it is not enough to play PS2 games near-perfectly, I would rather forget PS2 games and buy a Core i3.
Core i7 is too expensive.