Help with Graphics Plugins configuration
Hi there, i've finally got PCSX2 up and running (closely following the guide) in an attempt to play Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3. At first I had graphical glitches on the title screens, sorted by changing the plugin from ZeroGS to, GSdx (SSE2), there was problem with the cutscene at the start, which had odd audio anomalies, this was cured by using the EE Cyclerate Speedhack (and whatever else is enabled in the speedhacks by default). It was now running perfectly through to the menus at a constant 60 fps, I then go into the car select screen, still okay, until I actually choose a car, at which point the 3d model is shown, massive fps drop to around 25 and the audio greatly distorts, this becomes even worse once out onto the road, it cuts to around 19 fps and is unplayable. Something isn't right here, can anyone help?

I've got the latest version of Direct X (9, i'm on XP SP3) and the latest drivers for my graphics card.

System is as follows;
MSI K9n NEO AM2 Motherboard
AMD Athlon X2 +4200 2.2ghz
2gb OCZ Platinum DDR2 Ram at 800mhz
ATI HD Radeon 3870xt with 512mb of VRAM.

Surely my system should be able to run this? Any help is greatly apreciated.

Sponsored links

Quote:Surely my system should be able to run this?
Surely not if you read the readme about the minimum -and recommended- requirements.

Give 0.9.7 beta a try, it should be faster: http://pcsx2.net/downloads.php?p=publicbeta
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(10-22-2010, 08:08 AM)Bositman Wrote:
Quote:Surely my system should be able to run this?
Surely not if you read the readme about the minimum -and recommended- requirements.

Give 0.9.7 beta a try, it should be faster: http://pcsx2.net/downloads.php?p=publicbeta

I'm using the 0.9.7 Beta r3878, is there anything else that might be affecting it?

And I looked at the system requirements. I fit into the 'Will work at reasonable speed' in all the categories
(10-22-2010, 11:44 AM)Loplop509 Wrote: I'm using the 0.9.7 Beta r3878, is there anything else that might be affecting it?

And I looked at the system requirements. I fit into the 'Will work at reasonable speed' in all the categories

Where did you look?
The recommended cpu is a dual core at 3.2ghz. For you at 2.2ghz youll be able to play simple games like ffx and most 2d games. But in most games youll notice huge slowdowns, which is the case here.
Specs:
CPU: C2D E8400 @ 3.6
GPU: GTX 560Ti 2Gb
MOB: Asus P5QL
RAM: Crucial 4Gb
(10-22-2010, 12:08 PM)GamerGeek Wrote:
(10-22-2010, 11:44 AM)Loplop509 Wrote: I'm using the 0.9.7 Beta r3878, is there anything else that might be affecting it?

Where did you look?
The recommended cpu is a dual core at 3.2ghz. For you at 2.2ghz youll be able to play simple games like ffx and most 2d games. But in most games youll notice huge slowdowns, which is the case here.

As I said, It fits into the 'Will work at reasonable speed'

(12-10-2008, 03:20 PM)Bositman Wrote: Originally posted by Refraction
Will work at a reasonably playable speed (this does not mean full speed):

AMD Athlon FX Dual Core
AMD Opteron Dual Core
AMD Athlon X2 (and Turion laptop equivalent)
AMD Phenom
AMD Phenom II
Intel Core 2 Duo (and laptop Core Duo equivalent)
Intel Core 2 Quad
Intel Core i 5
Intel Core i 7

I do believe it's something different though, the way I have things configured, I fiddeled around today and got it up to 40 fps with the counter, but it was still running extremely laggy and the audio was shocking
Yeah that's a general idea. But there are Athlon X2s clocked WAY higher than yours, so you are marginally in that list. The graphics card is also weak, marginally in reasonable speeds as well. Combine these with a medium to hard to emulate game, and you get crap speeds.
Try checking 'native' in GSdx and reduce your speed hacks (especially VU cycle steal, that is what is causing the frame counter to falsely report 40 fps while the game is really crawling)
You can try setting EE/VU clamps to None which will give some extra speed, but keep in mind doing that can cause severe graphics bugs and/or crashes (or just work fine, depends on the game)
I wouldn't call the guide misleading, but I would say that it could be refined in that respect then, as the Athlon X2 family being in that list lead me to believe otherwise. Also, the 3870 is on part if not faster than the 4750, which is the reccomended Ati Card. I've ran it with native and I tried reducing speedhacks (even disabled them), I also turned off the clamps. There were no graphical glitches but I was still getting a reportd 40 fps, yet had the audio and video lag, this is extremely confusing. I do however apreciate the help you guys are giving me
You can't call it misleading since it's merely guidelines. There is no way to 'classify' and test every possible processor and graphics card configuration. Not to mention performance varies extremely from game to game either due to emulation bugs or other reasons.
Have you tried running it from an ISO file? Maybe you're getting slowdowns from the spin ups/downs of the DVD drive
(10-22-2010, 03:13 PM)Bositman Wrote: You can't call it misleading since it's merely guidelines. There is no way to 'classify' and test every possible processor and graphics card configuration. Not to mention performance varies extremely from game to game either due to emulation bugs or other reasons.
Have you tried running it from an ISO file? Maybe you're getting slowdowns from the spin ups/downs of the DVD drive

Exactly why I said I wouldn't call it misleading, simply confusing Smile
I am indeed running it from an ISO using the Linuz ISO plugin as when I tried the cdvd Gigaherz plugin I got an error when I tried to run the emulation.

EDIT: Scratch that, for some reason the cDvd plugin is now working with no errors, it has however had zero effect on performance