Help with configuring for my system?
Hey guys, sorry to make "another" one of these threads but im at my wits end. I have a beefy computer. My Processor is an AMD sure, but i can run litterally everything (other than PS2 Emulation apparently) at 60fps minimum.

AMD FX 8350 OC 8-core
GTX 770 OC
16gigs Ram

So far ive been running Dolphin for gamecube emulation and its been buttery smooth at 4x native with 8x AA and 16AF. I decided to try PCSX2 out and im rather surprised.

First game i tried was Metal gear Solid 2Wackoubstance and it ran like purified ass >_> 2 hours messing with configs i managed to get it running at framecap most of the time (IT lag spikes when going into first person view for some reason) with decent graphical enhancments. Right now im at 4x native Res with 16AF. Kinda disappointed i wanted to get up to 6x Native res considering i can max it out on Dolphin (maybe im wrong comparing Dolphins native with PCSX2's native though)

I suppose my question in this long post is...am i doing anything wrong? With Dolphin (my only other experience with emulation) it was simple. Read the wiki for any specific settings, crank up the native res to max and it'll run great. But with PCSX2 theres SO many options and speedhacks and i dont even know. Ive got a good setup now i think (Preset 4 but with VU Cycle Stealing set to 0) but im just confused that i even had to "configure" these speedhacks at all. My PC can run a Gamecube emulator with no sweat, a console that is arguably more advanced than the PS2! Is it just how emulation works? Am i missing some hidden magic setting that will let me run faster? On Dolphin for example, everyone reccomends Direct X 11 but i saw a 15fps increase in going with OpenGL. Is my computer just not good enough? (long shot i know).

Sponsored links

MGS 2 is one of the most demanding ps2 games there is. If you're 8350 is at stock speeds, then make sure you have a good cooler because you will probably need to oc to around 4.5ghz. Also, the PS2's architecture is far harder to emulate than the gamecube/wii's.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Trust me dude I'm in the same boat as you I have a beast of a pc and I'm still searching for the sweet spot with pcsx2. I've probably spent twice the amount of times making changes ect than I have played. I'm beginning to just believe pcsx2 is just buggy in general
(09-11-2014, 03:51 AM)markyrocks69 Wrote: Trust me dude I'm in the same boat as you I have a beast of a pc and I'm still searching for the sweet spot with pcsx2. I've probably spent twice the amount of times making changes ect than I have played. I'm beginning to just believe pcsx2 is just buggy in general

No, it's more due to the nature of the PS2 and how different it is when compared a standard x86 platform. It's really a trade off between speed and compatibility. The amount of work that's been put into pcsx2 just to make games run this well is a miracle.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Well so far ive got MGS2 running well at 57-60fps at 4x native (which is around 2048x1792 res i think). It has no AA but it has 16AF so i guess thats something. I guess im just trying to ask too much of the emulator. Im just so used to Dolphin and being able to crank EVERYTHING on max with HD Texture packs for some games, while running at full fps (Since some games break if set higher than their intended fps). I suppose getting a gaming pc has spoiled me :/

PCSX2 is a fantastic emulator and it has a staggering amount of plugins and options (too many imo). I just dont understand emulation enough i suppose, since i was expecting to DEMOLISH these games with my pc and i can barely run them at max fps. Quick edit to say that my processor is overclocked to 4.4ghz i think, and i don't really have the cooling to go faster. TBh i shouldn't need to! 4.4ghz is INSANE, i have 4 physical cores and 4 logical cores. I know AMD CPUs arnt the best for emulation but this is quite literally the best amd cpu you can buy right now :/ I guess im being spoilt but i just..expected more
Well speaking as someone who has a similar processor to you (except mine is the 6 core 6300) what I can tell you is:

Your CPU can run almost all PCSX2 games at full speed, but it will need around 4.2Ghz(and 4.4 for some really heavy ones). PCSX2 relies heavily on single threaded performance and that's where our chips are weak. At most PCSX2 can use 3 cores for emulation, so for PCSX2 a 4300/6300/8350 are essentially the same. Regardless, with a stock clock of 4.0, 4.4 should be easy to hit. Just make sure you aren't using the awful stock cooler. I got heat throttling at STOCK speeds with it.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(09-11-2014, 05:16 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Well speaking as someone who has a similar processor to you (except mine is the 6 core 6300) what I can tell you is:

Your CPU can run almost all PCSX2 games at full speed, but it will need around 4.2Ghz(and 4.4 for some really heavy ones). PCSX2 relies heavily on single threaded performance and that's where our chips are weak. At most PCSX2 can use 3 cores for emulation, so for PCSX2 a 4300/6300/8350 are essentially the same. Regardless, with a stock clock of 4.0, 4.4 should be easy to hit. Just make sure you aren't using the awful stock cooler. I got heat throttling at STOCK speeds with it.
well my motherboard has this xboost thing that i enabled a while ago that (according to my bios) overclocks my CPU to 4.4-4.6ghz depending on the cooling. I also have a really nice fan-based cooling system so i SHOULD be okay on that front.

As i said in my last post though i think its just me being too greedy with settings. 4x native res is good enough i guess, it's higher than any Dolphin game could go. I was just excited about maybe getting up to 6x with my rig but i guess that wont happen with any AMD Cpu.
Over 4x is overkill. There is only a mild supersampling effect. Better is 3-4x and 4-8xMSAA(can be set in HW hacks)

MSAA won't add any load to the CPU side(whereas increasing internal DOES), but rather MSAA adds to the GPU load.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(09-11-2014, 05:29 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: Over 4x is overkill. There is only a mild supersampling effect. Better is 3-4x and 4-8xMSAA(can be set in HW hacks)

MSAA won't add any load to the CPU side(whereas increasing internal DOES), but rather MSAA adds to the GPU load.
Mm i might try that. I'm probably just gonna get an Intel cpu in a year or two. This AMD one was cheap and it performs fantastically in actual PC games, but for emulation intel will always be king. Oh well, the main reaosn i decided to try out PCSX2 was to play MGS2 and 3. Apaprently MGS3 runs worse than 2 so if 2 is having issues...*sigh*
Another guy recently actually had more luck with 3 than 2.