Help with settings on Dell Inspiron 7577
Hi everyone, 
as title says, i've just installed PCSX2 on my laptop, which has the following specs: 

Windows 10 OS; 

Intel i5-7300HQ Quad Core (6MB Cache, up to 3.5 Ghz);

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 w/4 GB;

8 GB RAM.

However, since i'm not exactly an expert in emulation, i'm having some trouble in choosing which settings are the best, as i've tried playing a Gradius V ISO with default settings and experienced a lot of slowdowns, especially during cutscenes and huge explosions/particle effects.

By the way, i don't know if there's a problem with the ISO,  but i also own the retail version of Gradius, and i'll try it just to check once i'll grab an usb DVD reader(which my laptop doesn't have installed)
I've tried following the suggestions made in this video, since this guy has a previuos version of my Dell (bar a different CPU): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OXS68sHPpk

but unfortuately the situation seems to be worsened.

Thank you very much in advance

Sponsored links

Don't know why my previous message was darkened, anyway, here's my laptop specs:

Windows 10 OS;

Intel i5-7300HQ Quad Core (6MB Cache, up to 3.5 Ghz);

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 w/4 GB;

8 GB RAM.

However, since i'm not exactly an expert in emulation, i'm having some trouble in choosing which settings are the best, as i've tried playing a Gradius V ISO with default settings and experienced a lot of slowdowns, especially during cutscenes and huge explosions/particle effects.

By the way, i don't know if there's a problem with the ISO,  but i also own the retail version of Gradius, and i'll try it just to check once i'll grab an usb DVD reader(which my laptop doesn't have installed)
I've tried following the suggestions made in this video, since this guy has a previuos version of my Dell (bar a different CPU):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OXS68sHPpk

but unfortuately the situation seems to be worsened.

Thank you very much in advance
Mind sharing your GSdx plugin settings as well as your Speedhacks menu settings with us? This will give us a better idea of if settings are dialed too high.
(06-07-2018, 04:26 PM)pandubz Wrote: Mind sharing your GSdx plugin settings as well as your Speedhacks menu settings with us? This will give us a better idea of if settings are dialed too high.

Sure thing, once i'll go back to my house i'll check them
So, here are my current settings, i've tinkered a little bit with them yesterday, but, unless isn't mentioned, everything else is on default value:

Emulation settings:

Preset: 2-Safe (Faster)
EEE/IOP: Default
VUs: Default
GS: Default
GS Window: Widescreen 16:9
Speedhacks: Default (Enabled, Default values)
Game Fixes: Default (Disabled)

Bios: USA V02.30(20/02/2008)

GS Plugin: GSdx 20160105132032 (MSVC 19.00, AVX) 1.0.0 [gsdx32-avx]
GS Settings:

Adapter: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050
Render: Direct3D11 (Hardware)
Interlacing: Auto
Internal Resolution: Native
Anisotropic Filtering: Off

It's worth mentioning that i've just tried playing the retail version of Gradius V instead of the ISO with these settings, and i'm still experiencing some major slowdowns, albeit in a different way from the ISO (maybe the ISO is damaged?).

Thank you in advance
Upgrade to the latest PCSX2 version here: https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
(06-07-2018, 11:22 PM)CK1 Wrote: Upgrade to the latest PCSX2 version here: https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

I'll do it for sure, but besides that, is there any way to make everything work with this version (1.4.0, the latest one i've got from the website?)
That depends a lot on the games your playing but typically default with gsdx opengl will be fine, in emulation settings speed hacks make sure mtvu is enabled. and do what ck said and update to 1.5
(06-08-2018, 12:43 AM)weirdbeardgame Wrote: That depends a lot on the games your playing but typically default with gsdx opengl will be fine, in emulation settings speed hacks make sure mtvu is enabled. and do what ck said and update to 1.5

Ok, i've uninstalled version 1.4.0 and got the latest 1.5, left all the settings as default and it works wonders from an FPS standpoint, with barely any slowdown experienced, altough the game looks pretty dated.
Is there any graphic setting i can tinker with in order to improve the visual quality?
did you set the renderer in gsdx to opengl hw? aside from that use the internal resolution box to set different multipliers 2x 4x etc, go no higher then 4x and don't ever use custom resolution's use only the multipliers provided.