Help with widescreen patches - not working!!!
(09-06-2016, 07:55 AM)jesalvein Wrote: It's just that the PS2 you own (the very first japanese model) has an early bios that is known to cause various issues with pcsx2.
Therefore, there is no guarantee you'll be able to get optimal behaviours when emulating your games.

Sorry about that Sad

No no, no problem.  I seriously didn't know why that would matter (and I frankly had no idea what PS2 version I had - I just picked it up off ebay about six years ago).  I didn't realize you were talking about the bios.  Do you think I should get the bios from a newer PS2?

Sponsored links

(09-06-2016, 08:04 AM)avih Wrote: Thanks. Though it probably wouldn't hurt to try it still, to make sure that's how it worked for you before.

That would be good to know if more widescreen patches need a similar fix. Thanks. FWIW, I'd suggest to try it with plain PCSX2 first (i.e. without hyperspin) to make sure that hyperspin doesn't use some work around for PCSX2 bugs, as our goal is to fix PCSX2 itself (or the widescreen patches it's bundled with in this case).

Off topic, but AFAIK both Amplitude and Frequency should work pretty great with PCSX2. Are they not?

Just to make clear - I encountered the problem because I'm checking my collection with Hyperspin, but yeah, once I find a problem, I run PCSX2 separately to make sure it's not caused by Hyperspin or RocketLauncher.  I'll be able to check your fix in about two hours.

As for Amplitude and Frequency... I wasn't able to get the timing right using PCSX2.  I read a lot about it before giving up.  The impression I got was that rhythm games are impossible to emulate accurately.  Admittedly, this was about 18 months ago - I haven't tried PCSX2 with either game since then.  Maybe newer builds have corrected the issue...?
(09-06-2016, 10:03 PM)bacchuspup Wrote: No no, no problem.  I seriously didn't know why that would matter (and I frankly had no idea what PS2 version I had - I just picked it up off ebay about six years ago).  I didn't realize you were talking about the bios.  Do you think I should get the bios from a newer PS2?

that would mean buying another PS2, but do as you please...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(09-05-2016, 09:21 PM)avih Wrote: I'd suggest a patch fix as follows:
1. Copy the file 60A42FF5.pnach from inside cheats_ws.zip into your cheats_ws folder.
2. At the cheats_ws folder - edit it and add the following two lines (doesn't matter where, at the end would be fine):
Code:
patch=0,EE,00527e14,word,3c013fe3
patch=0,EE,00527e18,word,34218e34

And let us know if it worked.

Bingo bango!  Yes, it worked.  I'm going to spend a little time making a list of all the games where I'm having this issue (I don't have all the PS2 games by any stretch), and I'll get back to you.
(09-07-2016, 12:26 AM)bacchuspup Wrote: Bingo bango!  Yes, it worked.  I'm going to spend a little time making a list of all the games where I'm having this issue (I don't have all the PS2 games by any stretch), and I'll get back to you.

Excellent news! Thank you very much Smile

Please keep this thread updated with more info if you have any. Thanks again!
Okay, this is a pain. Is there any master list of game and patch names?

(and thank YOU very much)
(09-07-2016, 01:23 AM)bacchuspup Wrote: Okay, this is a pain.  Is there any master list of game and patch names?

(and thank YOU very much)

Not sure what kind of list you want. Do you mean list of games and their CRCs? all 2500 of them? Smile

The "patch name" is the game's CRC. So you just need to boot the game, watch its CRC (appears at the console's title) and go directly to that file inside cheats_ws.zip .

You can also try the text file GameIndex.dbf at the same dir as pcsx2.exe is (that's how PCSX2 knows the game's name from its CRC).

Note, however, that I did run a search over all the widescreen patches inside cheats_ws.zip and there were only three which had a comment that it needs to fast boot twice:
- 60A42FF5.pnach (Midnight Club 3 - DUB Edition Remix SLUS_213.55) - which you confirmed.
- 7B94480C.pnach  (Shadow the Hedgehog SLES_532.42)
- A5D29941.pnach  (Shadow the Hedgehog SLUS_212.61)

Though that doesn't mean that these are the only ones - but only those had such comment.
(09-07-2016, 02:08 AM)avih Wrote: Not sure what kind of list you want. Do you mean list of games and their CRCs? all 2500 of them? Smile

The "patch name" is the game's CRC. So you just need to boot the game, watch its CRC (appears at the console's title) and go directly to that file inside cheats_ws.zip .

You can also try the text file GameIndex.dbf at the same dir as pcsx2.exe is (that's how PCSX2 knows the game's name from its CRC).

Note, however, that I did run a search over all the widescreen patches inside cheats_ws.zip and there were only three which had a comment that it needs to fast boot twice:
- 60A42FF5.pnach (Midnight Club 3 - DUB Edition Remix SLUS_213.55) - which you confirmed.
- 7B94480C.pnach  (Shadow the Hedgehog SLES_532.42)
- A5D29941.pnach  (Shadow the Hedgehog SLUS_212.61)

Though that doesn't mean that these are the only ones - but only those had such comment.

Lol... yes, ALL 2500!!!!  

I actually did find a list, but it seemed incomplete.  I also didn't realize the patch names were the same as the CRC... um... not that I know what a CRC is.  Smile  I'm still a little new at this.  But yeah, having an easy way to associate a particular game with a particular patch will make it a lot less difficult.  On the other hand, sometimes it's hard to tell whether a widescreen patch is being applied or not without looking up screenshots of the original game.

I took a look through about 8 of the 125 games I have, but had to spend quality time with the wife.  Will do much more tomorrow.
CRC is a text of typically 8 characters with can contain numbers and the letters A-F. Like 60A42FF5 . It can be calculated for any file and considered a sort of "signature" of the file, such that if two files have the same CRC it's highly likely that these two files are identical.

In PCSX2 we calculate the CRC of the main game file on the PS2 DVD (the ELF file), and then display it at the console's title, and we use it to identify things which are specific to this game, like widescreen patches - we load the patches which have name like the game's CRC.

You can read more about CRC here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check
Not sure what you need it for, but just in case, here's a list of all the widescreen patches file names (CRCs) which are currently inside cheats_ws.zip and the game's name and Sony's serial numbers (this is the "gametitle" line in each patch file, which was written manually by whoever wrote that patch, so it's possible that some data is missing or incorrect).

[edit] I updated the attachment few times to clean it up a bit.

Attached Files
.7z   widescreen-CRCs.7z (Size: 41,49 KB / Downloads: 178)