Hi the latest version suddenly stores settings in base folder
and not in \My Documents\PCSX2 anymore. Bios settings savestates.

Is it an intentional change or a bug? Looks like a bug to me.

Sponsored links

Do you happen to have a portable.ini file in your root folder ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(11-11-2014, 01:49 PM)Fgeds Wrote: and not in \My Documents\PCSX2 anymore. Bios settings savestates.

How do i chance it back?
Good it's so now, actually

Move (as to merge) your PCSX2 folder under My Documents to inside the base folder.

I didn't know the new version makes the portable the default option but this is actually the way to go.

The BIOS and Memcards folders is advisable creating as external so to allow several versions to share them, but you should never mix savestates between different builds. Ini files would be better keeping the proper set to each PCSX2 version/build also.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(11-11-2014, 01:51 PM)jesalvein Wrote: Do you happen to have a portable.ini file in your root folder ?
yes i do actually!, should i delete it?
ok i reinstalled again, deleted the portable.ini, which was in the archive of the git build btw, and all the settings are back. Of course i cant quite clearly say that, because i already altered some of them, but it definitely looks like old settings because the .iso history is back.
Portable.ini tells PCSX to use the folders in the root PCSX2 folder instead of those in the My Documents folder. And GIT builds are portable by default to help make testing different builds easier.
(11-11-2014, 02:11 PM)Fgeds Wrote: ok i reinstalled again, deleted the portable.ini, which was in the archive of the git build btw, and all the settings are back. Of course i cant quite clearly say that, because i already altered some of them, but it definitely looks like old settings because the .iso history is back.

I'm sorry you preferred that way, it tells me there is a reasonable chance the PCSX2 itself is installed under C:\Program Files and this can only bring headaches ahead.
Interesting, I never knew that there was an option for PCSX2 to store settings under My Documents like Dolphin does. I even remember asking about it once here in the forums and no one told me about it, if I'm remembering correctly. -_- But yeah, that's great! Laugh

(11-11-2014, 02:20 PM)Topken Wrote: Portable.ini tells PCSX to use the folders in the root PCSX2 folder instead of those in the My Documents folder. And GIT builds are portable by default to help make testing different builds easier.

Speaking of making testing builds easier, I would like to see portable.ini come pre-populated with 'RunWizard=0' so that the setup wizard doesn't come up with every new version. Anyone second this?
[Image: pNm13X9.gif]
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Games that don't need a strong CPU
(11-11-2014, 06:13 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: Speaking of making testing builds easier, I would like to see portable.ini come pre-populated with 'RunWizard=0' so that the setup wizard doesn't come up with every new version. Anyone second this?

The wizard has to run in either case to prepopulate the settings. If you never want to see the wizard again just delete the portable.ini. The point of this file is to make different versions coexist together and, well, for testing purposes.
(11-11-2014, 09:30 PM)Fgeds Wrote: The wizard has to run in either case to prepopulate the settings. If you never want to see the wizard again just delete the portable.ini. The point of this file is to make different versions coexist together and, well, for testing purposes.

Or more simply, to make the emulator portable, all you need is under one root folder.

Isw the default Windows installer which puts those folders and files under the /Documents folder, on the other hand most people using the installer is going to install under Windows default folder C:\Program Files (x86). A nasty mistake for any application which relies on plugins and/or mods.

Edit: As for myself I created and use a /shared to keep the BIOS and Memcards folders so there is no need to keep several copies of them. The other folders should not be messed in between versions/builds. An exception could be the /cheats folder which is reasonable to share. This is specially valid for testing versions where mixing inis, plugins and such defeats the purpose.

Edit 2: actually even the /Documents folder is moved out of C: on my Windows configuration.