High-end PCs: Good enough or Wait to buy new PC?
Are the high-end graphics cards and processors sufficient for 60 fps in games like MGS3, FFX, FFXII, KH1, KH2, DQ8, GOW 1, GOW2?

Or should I wait longer to buy a new PC? I would like to buy one now but not if waiting a while would get ideal emulation performance.

Sponsored links

How much "HIGH-END"are we talking here?i7 GTX480m if so then yes you would get 60 FPS *most* of the time except in the places where those damn BUGS turn up Smile
Intel E5700 @3.0Ghz,
Xfx Radeon 5670 1Gb,
4Gb DDR3 Ram,
Microsoft Windows7 Ultimate x86
even a pc that costs around 700 euro if u first "study" well the market and some reviews u can get a very good one to run them. and lol u dont need a gtx480!!!! that would be an ultra triple overkill!!!!!! Tongue
though if u want to w8 u can w8 till june that nvidia will get out their mainstream gpus (if u are an nvidia fun or something like that) or w8 till ati gets out their 6xxxx series (around november-octomber). your call ^^

btw if u want some good reviews look at "guru3d" or google Tongue
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
"ultra triple overkill!!!!!!" I like that. Biggrin

Yeah, there is no need to wait. The current "High-end" graphics cards are already overkill for PCSX2. Even the faster processors may need to be overclock for full speed (when possible, mind you), but the fastest Core i available should perform about as good as it gets, even stock speed. OC'd for sure.

Of course, if you wait for new hardware, odds are the emulator's compatibility will increase to the point of making the best available now "ultra triple overkill!!!!!!".
(05-08-2010, 09:51 AM)Rezard Wrote: "ultra triple overkill!!!!!!" I like that. Biggrin

Yeah, there is no need to wait. The current "High-end" graphics cards are already overkill for PCSX2. Even the faster processors may need to be overclock for full speed (when possible, mind you), but the fastest Core i available should perform about as good as it gets, even stock speed. OC'd for sure.

Of course, if you wait for new hardware, odds are the emulator's compatibility will increase to the point of making the best available now "ultra triple overkill!!!!!!".

What is the fastest Core I would need to buy?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...20Desktops

Which $300-400 processor is best? Or should I get the $500 models (I would only if the difference is worth it).
that may just do it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
but you can still get 60fps with lower config. For example for GoW 2 I used amd 3800+ @2GHz and got 40 fps. It depends.
Tongue Skype: lucasboy_k // If you need me, just write to me, tell me who you are and I'll do what I can to help you Wink
(05-08-2010, 11:32 PM)PCSX2Bob42 Wrote:
(05-08-2010, 09:51 AM)Rezard Wrote: "ultra triple overkill!!!!!!" I like that. Biggrin

What is the fastest Core I would need to buy?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...20Desktops

Which $300-400 processor is best? Or should I get the $500 models (I would only if the difference is worth it).

u dont need to spend 500 lol. just buy i7 930 and overclock it to the speed of 975 without even changing the voltage's from the default. u must ofc know what u are doing Tongue and spend the rest of the money to a better gpu (hey i dont think u will only use the pc to play ps2 games lol) or a better mobo etc etc) i7 9xx series can run every game at max fps easy
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
If you just want a PC for PCSX2, go for an i5-660 dual core, a 5770 or gtx 260 at max is all you need for the highest resolutions, and overclockable motherboard. You can OC the i5 to 4 ghz and 5770 to 960/1390 easily and you won't ever have to worry about less then full speed.
[Image: necok0.jpg]
Specs:
i3-530 @ 4.3 ghz
GTX 470 OC 725/1450/1875
6 GB DDR3 RAM
I'm affraid that it's not possible to get constant fullspeed in all games playable on pcsx2 with any cpu from current generations, it may not be even possible with next generation cpus and version 1.x.x of pcsx2. Intel is not the best choice because of very poor rate price/speed. 2-core i5 cpu is the best you can get for now but it's the worst for future software that will use more than 2 cores, with this cpu u can't do anything just change it (with amd at least u can try to unlock some cores). For this price from intel u can buy bargain i7 that will be too slow for pcsx2 and too slow for future software. In my opinion the only intel that makes any sense is i7 980x or 975 if u don't mind to throw out $1000 for cpu only. From amd for the price of 2-core i5 you will get phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz - 4 cores and comparable speed or X6 1090T 3.2GHz - 6 cores, both with unlock multiplier and enough even for few years. The choice is always yours.
AMD Phenom II 550 Black Edition @3.8GHz
4GB DDR2 1066MHz CL5-5-5-15
ASUS Radeon EAH4770 Formula 512MB DDR5
midlothian:
Don't forget these "bargain Intel i7 920" are meant to be overclocked.
I don't see how that chip at 4Ghz can be too slow for future software, and AMD's Phenom 2 chips are not.
Please remember that for PCSX2 (and all other emulators) an Intel cpu is still preferred.

Edit:
Oh, and let's not forget that currently 90% of all desktop applications can't max out 3 cores.
In the foreseeable future this will not change.