How GPU dependent is PCSX2?
(09-12-2013, 11:31 AM)mr_bigmouth_502 Wrote: I've tried OCing my GPU before just for the hell of it, but I start seeing problems even after only a 10-20MHz boost. Strangely, it copes just fine with me overclocking the PCI-E bus somewhat. I'm actually quite happy with the performance that this thing delivers, but I just think it would be cool if I could get the same performance without it being installed, and maybe make my next build a mini-ITX or something.

Actually, just thinking about it, I probably wouldn't be able to make my next build a mini-ITX unless I decide to take my current hard drives (3x 500GB, filled with all sorts of backups and other junk), and throw them into a home server. It might be a cool thing to do, but ultimately I like to have all of my data right at my fingertips, and it would be less work just to keep my current case and drive setup and just upgrade the rest of the internals, GPU included. Or, maybe I could leave this box as it is and build a whole new one as my "upgrade", since I love this thing so damn much as it is and would hate to modify it much from how it currently is.

Get a cheap used intel atom (very power efficient) system. Should be able to find them sub-100. Don't even need a proper OS, just buy a 2-4GB USB stick to run off of it and hook your drives to that plus a network cable.

Then just shove that in a closet somewhere and run it 24/7. It'll cost maybe $5 a year to run, stay relatively cool (again power efficiency) and give you quick access to it. That's what I did, works great.

I guess you could also get an ARM device (like the raspberry pi, $25) and then construct your own housing and do the same. The problem would be you'd have to hook up the drives via USB instead of sata so they'd be slower... but depending on whether you need quick access to those backups or not, it might be the cheaper solution (raspberry pi $25, powered USB hub $15, 3 sata to USB kits $10 each, some static free enclosure $20-30)
[Image: 2748844.png]

Sponsored links

It would definitely be more power efficient than having this old beast going all the time. XD It only has a 350w power supply, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's contributed a fair bit to my dad's power bill going up.
CPU: Athlon x4 860k @4.2GHz
RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @1600MHz 10-10-10-30-39
GPU: 4GB Asus Strix GTX 1050ti @stock
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+
Storage: 480GB Mushkin ECO3 SSD, 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 4TB Seagate Barracuda
PSU: 650w Corsair CS650M