How about EE/IOP Sync Hack x4, x5, or even x6? Or huge speedup.
Hi guys.

First of all, I recently tried Shadow of the Colossus PAL on the PCSX2 Playground 1.0.0395 with the default plug-ins, and to my surprise it appeared almost playable on my not so fast system - ะก2D 2.4, 2Gb, HD3870, WinXP SP2. With speed hacks enabled that is (except VU Overflow). I encountered that EE/IOP Sync Hack x3 made the game almost playable even with my processor (20-50fps).

Now I don't know anythingabout the hack, but is it possible to implement further multipliers for the hack? I mean like x4 or even x6? Seeing how good x2 and especially x3 helped, I guess x6 could sustain constant 50fps ingame.

I beat 2 Colossuses without any problems, the game was fully stable as far as I could see, despite your notice near the EE/IOP x3 checkbox - "Even faster, but very unstable. Use at your own risk!".

So, is it possible at all?

And thanks for your efforts.

Sponsored links

Obviously the Sync Hack x3 is too unstable, and they don't want to push the limit further.
(01-24-2009, 12:44 PM)bigmehdi Wrote: Obviously the Sync Hack x3 is too unstable, and they don't want to push the limit further.

Why not?
At least for experimental purposes?

As I wrote, I'm able to actually play Shadow of the Colossus with Sync hack x3 and the game is stable. I played for 2 hours yesterday - no lockups or anything like that, beat 2 Colossuses, I also didn't notice any additional graphics bugs. The game was unplayable without the hack, if x3 worked perhaps x4 or x5 also could work?
Nope,not gonna happen.PCSX2's target is to properly emulate the PS2 not to hack it's way through games.The x3 hack is already pushing it,breaking tons of games,an x4 hack would probably kill 90% of them,so no point in having one.
This has been discussed before here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2954-page-1.html
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(01-24-2009, 01:03 PM)Bositman Wrote: Nope,not gonna happen.PCSX2's target is to properly emulate the PS2 not to hack it's way through games.The x3 hack is already pushing it,breaking tons of games,an x4 hack would probably kill 90% of them,so no point in having one.
This has been discussed before here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2954-page-1.html

Well, but people there say that they had no problems with x3 enabled.

F.e.:
WaitCycles Sync Hack always work fine with most game. Never got trouble with WaitCycles Sync Hack enabled.

"Hmm i succesefully finished many games with Pcsx2 ( more then 20) with x3 Sync hack always was enabled without any crashes and it gives not bad speed boost."

In my experience, SotC works fine.

Perhaps you exaggerate about 90% with x4? It's THE hack that makes "heavy" games playable for people with not so fast processors.

I'm ready to test games if you guys implement experimental multipliers in a beta release.

And this posy of Air:
Indeed, higher cycle sync hacks break all but the fewest of few games. The only games I know of that it helps are games that are conversions from other older platforms, like dreamcast ports and early PS2 releases. Some of those games only use a small fraction of the PS'2s raw power, and spend the rest of their time idling, so they don't mind an X4 or even x5 hack. But then again those games already run plenty fast, so there's not much point to speeding them up more.

doesn't correspond with reality too well it seems. I mean look at the above quotes, and SotC isn't conversion or older game too...
Well you think 20 games are a representative portion of all PS2 games? No I'm not exaggerating,it could even be higher.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Greyest, this has been discussed before, and no we won't do any hack higher than x3.
(01-24-2009, 01:28 PM)Krakatos Wrote: Greyest, this has been discussed before, and no we won't do any hack higher than x3.

Krakatos, I understand you won't, but still it's strange you don't want to try to speed up it hugely even for experimental purposes, the section could be hidden from people. Someone, even I, could test a number of games with the hack and report back about real situation. Perhaps reality would be better than you suppose, seeing how good x3 actually works.

Oh well, maybe some 3rd party could implement it in an unofficial build if the source is open?
I do not think you get it. We tested, back then. I'll quote Jake here

Indeed, higher cycle sync hacks break all but the fewest of few games. The only games I know of that it helps are games that are conversions from other older platforms, like dreamcast ports and early PS2 releases. Some of those games only use a small fraction of the PS'2s raw power, and spend the rest of their time idling, so they don't mind an X4 or even x5 hack. But then again those games already run plenty fast, so there's not much point to speeding them up more.

So no, we won't do it. It's useless and it will only complicate our lives with borked bug reports and forum requests.

As for third parties, well the code is open source. If they want to do that, and if they provide credits and the source code with the files as dictated by the GNU General Public License v2 license that pcsx2 is subject to, they can do that. But there will be no talking nor support to any unofficial build here, ever
@Krakatos
Quote:Indeed, higher cycle sync hacks break all but the fewest of few games.

Well you could release the hack with a big warning box that it breaks almost every games , when you check the option. This might sound stupid, but people would (normally) stop asking for it.
At least people's curiosity would be satisfied.
Never mind, if that still bother you.

Quote:it will only complicate our lives with borked bug reports
borked ? I don't know that word.