How do you set a custom resolution in PCSX2 nightly?
I can do it in the stable 1.6 version, but only 8x internal max option is for the nightly builds? Is there something in a config file I can change, or what am I missing in the settings?

Sponsored links

Pretty sure that option was removed since then (even on pre-QT wx nightly builds), since it introduces more bugs than multiply the resolution set by the game.
[Image: cGzK8nC.gif]
Back years ago using pcsx2, I remember 8K 12x being the max, now it's only 8x on version 1.6? I have a 3090 and just bought a S95B tv. I want to get the best possible picture
The Play! Emulator supports up to x16. Not that I could run any thing at that resolution myself and Play's compatibly in general is much reduced compared to PCSX2.
(06-10-2022, 01:48 AM)smoothbutter Wrote: Back years ago using pcsx2, I remember 8K 12x being the max, now it's only 8x on version 1.6? I  have a 3090 and just bought a S95B tv. I want to get the best possible picture

anything above 6x is basically useless.
so 8x is overkill. but as said above, Play! maybe give you satisfaction
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(06-10-2022, 09:03 PM)jesalvein Wrote: anything above 6x is basically useless.
so 8x is overkill. but as said above, Play! maybe give you satisfaction

I set 7680x4320 which is 8k on 1.6, and there is a difference from 6x internal.. It's even easier to see the difference on my 85 inch 4K LCD compared to my S95B So I strongly disagree... Anyways, Why are you going promoting another emulator when PCSX2 will do it, just not on the latest nightly builds?? Anyways... I am missing out on the best new feature of pcsx2 which is saving settings per game...
(06-10-2022, 11:21 PM)smoothbutter Wrote: I set 7680x4320 which is 8k on 1.6, and there is a difference from 6x internal.. It's even easier to see the difference on my 85 inch 4K LCD compared to my S95B So I strongly disagree...  Anyways, Why are you going promoting another emulator when PCSX2 will do it, just not on the latest nightly builds?? Anyways... I am missing out on the best new feature of pcsx2 which is saving settings per game...

because Play! will do what you need.
that's probably the best advice we can give since custom res is something we defnintely banned for obvious reasons
Dude, there is no discernable difference that can be seen by the human eye between 4k and 8k. A test was actually performed with Pro game players where they played games at 4k and 8k and asked if they could tell the difference. The game players couldn't tell and often guessed wrong. Warner Bros. did a study to see if people could tell the difference and they said...
"Warner Bros., participants viewed content on both 4K and 8K screens. They found that the 8K clips were rated only "marginally slightly better" or "slightly better" than those in 4K. In some instances, people actually rated the 4K viewing better than 8K."

Most studies have shown that people that think it's better just imagine it is because they expect it to be. But when they don't know which one is 4k and which one is 8k, then they really can't tell which one is which
Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB DDR4 RAM
(06-10-2022, 11:26 PM)envisaged0ne Wrote: Dude, there is no discernable difference that can be seen by the human eye between 4k and 8k. A test was actually performed with Pro game players where they played games at 4k and 8k and asked if they could tell the difference. The game players couldn't tell and often guessed wrong. Warner Bros. did a study to see if people could tell the difference and they said...
"Warner Bros., participants viewed content on both 4K and 8K screens. They found that the 8K clips were rated only "marginally slightly better" or "slightly better" than those in 4K. In some instances, people actually rated the 4K viewing better than 8K."

Most studies have shown that people that think it's better just imagine it is because they expect it to be. But when they don't know which one is 4k and which one is 8k, then they really can't tell which one is which

I see the differences. Some games are easier to tell than others obviously. The darker the game, the harder it is to tell any difference for example... the more colorful a game is, the easier it is to tell

(06-10-2022, 11:23 PM)jesalvein Wrote: because Play! will do what you need.
that's probably the best advice we can give since custom res is something we defnintely banned for obvious reasons

What are the obvious reasons?
Custom res made more harm than good. Each time a user was setting it, we were advising to use multipliers. That's why