How does one create a PSX / PSOne / PS1 iso?
Hi,

Yes, I did a search using Google directly and the Google search on this site, but either there isn't anything on this subject or I used the wrong search words.

Anyway, I have some PSX / PS1 / PSOne disc (the BLACK underside ones) and am wondering:

1) Can I make an ISO of these discs? If so, how does one go about it?
2) I believe the emulate will run PSX disc / iso from my reading, but I'm not 100% sure. Does it? Is it straight forward or do I have to do something to make it run.

My Son an I have several Black discs and I'd love to save them and also to run them on my Windows system (over a real PSOne / PS1) system.

Thank you so very much for you time,

PG

Sponsored links

you can use a program like IMGBurn from http://www.imgburn.com/ to make your isos, but you will need epsxe to play them as PCSX2 is a playstation 2 emulator which does not support Playstation 1 games.

Good luck!
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(04-16-2012, 03:32 PM)refraction Wrote: you can use a program like IMGBurn from http://www.imgburn.com/ to make your isos, but you will need epsxe to play them as PCSX2 is a playstation 2 emulator which does not support Playstation 1 games.

Good luck!

Thank you, refraction, for your very helpful reply.

I did some more reading and another option is to use a PS1 emulator instead of the PS1 plug-in for PCSX2. I might try both routes to see, which one I like best.

Anyone try out epsxe and compare it to one of the many PS1 emulators?

PrisonGuy
(04-17-2012, 07:05 PM)PrisonGuy Wrote: Anyone try out epsxe and compare it to one of the many PS1 emulators?

I've tried 4 PS1 emulators.

pSX: Straight-forward emulator, doesn't really offer many options and lots of appraisal. I'm not too sure whether it accepts other plugins, haven't used it a lot.

PCSX: Tried this for a short while just to see how it is, but personally i found it the worst of the lot. Messy, can't spare the details, it's been a year since and it didn't last 2 days.

PSXeven: A good emulator, allows you to change settings on the fly, plugin/memcard/savestate manager, nice all around. A bit notorious for being retarded and crashing out of the blue though, i don't know if it's just me or it is some sort of bug.. moved away from it because of that.

ePSXe: My personal favorite. You have to restart the emulator to change any settings once a game has been launched, and it doesn't exit properly if you close the game window without "terminating" emulation (keeps playing the game without a window running). Some buttons don't do anything at all, and it's advised to keep away from the "test plugin" buttons. -- Alright, i make it all look bad, but at least it's not crashing without a reason (while emulating that is). It just takes a little getting used to.
IMGBurn is not preferred, CloneCD, Alcohol or DT with subchannel reading to an MDS/NRG or CCD image is preferred

some titles do not work too well with bin/cue and many psx titles use redbook audio or subchannel data which ISO does not support.
CD-ROM is only in BIN format
tekken tag tourmanent is one of the example of the PS2 game disk in(blue in the back of the disc)and must be created in BIN format.
all PS1 games in *.bin format.
then ImgBurn will follow as is.

DVD-ROM/DVD-DL is a ISO format.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled buildĀ 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
PSX disk data is RAW+SUB
drives not supporting RAW cannot read psx disks, and those not supporting sub cannot boot subchannel protected disks from the drive (without a ppf patch)

PS2 disk data is PFS. ISO is a container image which just happens to support the PS2 file system

BIN is not the format of any disk file system. its a container/archive for RAW data. the downside is some programs that create BIN images cause issues with some Redbook games (Tombraider 1 and 2 are known to freeze in some emulators when ripped with imageburn)
(04-17-2012, 08:02 PM)Coornio Wrote: ePSXe: My personal favorite. You have to restart the emulator to change any settings once a game has been launched
If you use PEC(psx emulation cheater)as video plugin you can change at least video settings during gameplay by pressing Ctrl+K

(04-17-2012, 08:02 PM)Coornio Wrote: and it doesn't exit properly if you close the game window without "terminating" emulation (keeps playing the game without a window running).

It does,just make sure to enable Run=>Enable Logs(this will show the console but this way,you will always be able to close the emulator)
Restart the emulator after enabling the option

(04-17-2012, 08:02 PM)Coornio Wrote: Some buttons don't do anything at all, and it's advised to keep away from the "test plugin" buttons.
I can't remember encountering any problems with the Test button or some buttons to not work.

BTW since we are talking about PSX emulators...which one is better,ePSXe or PCSX Reloaded.
The newest beta update at emucr for PCSX Reloaded is from yesterday and it's constantly updated but the last ePSXe update is from 2008)
epsxe works with subchannel enabled disks and sapu cdr where as pcsx(reloaded) support sapu properly.
pcsx reloaded is slower than epsxe as well.....
(04-18-2012, 06:39 AM)vsub Wrote: If you use PEC(psx emulation cheater)as video plugin you can change at least video settings during gameplay by pressing Ctrl+K
I can't remember encountering any problems with the Test button or some buttons to not work.

BTW since we are talking about PSX emulators...which one is better,ePSXe or PCSX Reloaded.
The newest beta update at emucr for PCSX Reloaded is from yesterday and it's constantly updated but the last ePSXe update is from 2008)

That's not a problem. Peop's video plugins have a small black toolbar on the top of the screen that you can toggle on and off. You can bind it to toggle, show explanation for each setting, scroll values up down and select options. I keep mine on insert for the toggle, home for explanations and the arrow keys for moving through.
As for the buttons that don't work, that's usually the normal corner close button of a windows dialog. does nothing. Tongue

Never heard of PCSX reloaded before.. i'll be sure to check it out. Smile
EDIT: last codeplex project update august 14 2010?