How hard would it be to implement a WS hack feature?
Like the one that Dolphin uses. I was thinking this would save time and effort for people making all of these WS codes for every single game.
I5 3570k 3.4ghz| 4GB R9 290| 8GB DDR3

Sponsored links

it's not very hard. the routine is simple and it might actually be faster doing it automated. also the machine can read the elf sections if they are data (dynamic or static) or code. but i guess it's crash intensive nonetheless. Wink

doing the machine it would probably be like. search a close to aspect ratio value (which can be different from game to game tho- this needs some preknowledge). replace it and check if the pixels in the framebuffer moved from the stretched 4/3 space into the 4/3 portion of the 16/9. that's basicly the routine. thing is what happens if the found value is not the aspect ratio. whether bugs and crashes or misbehaviour ends the routine. this is pretty much the tricky thing to code there.

btw... comparing that to dolphin is not a good idea. afaik dolphin is fixed function hardware where the screen projection is easier to override. i dunno the details , but that's why it looks so easy on dolphin. Wink
Screen modes on ps2 games are coded by the game devs so they all vary. Best we can do is have a patch system you can enable and disable, but the patches will still neef to be user made.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(04-11-2013, 03:24 PM)refraction Wrote: Screen modes on ps2 games are coded by the game devs so they all vary. Best we can do is have a patch system you can enable and disable, but the patches will still neef to be user made.

Any plans on possibly adding the massive list already compiled by the forums?
[Image: 2748844.png]
(04-12-2013, 07:00 AM)Koji Wrote: Any plans on possibly adding the massive list already compiled by the forums?

Wouldn't that make the download too large to be practical?
(04-12-2013, 07:13 AM)Clank Wrote: Wouldn't that make the download too large to be practical?

No. The pack (which can be found here) is only 415KB compressed. After decompression the pack in total is 4MB (or so). That is not horribly big, but it is still kind of clunky.

I don't think adding it in would make the download impractical. It would make it slightly bigger, but not impractical.
In fact we're already implementing that Tongue2
(04-12-2013, 08:17 AM)rama Wrote: In fact we're already implementing that Tongue2

EDIT: yay now I can play SpongeBob: BFBB in wide screen. So when can we expect it to see it? will we see it in a SVN or do you not have an ETA yet?
PCSX2 widescreen patches will always be patches, not some universal "checkbox".
And don't forget FMV hacks, font hacks, GUI hacks, render fixes, etc. Stuff that some automated process probably can never account for. Tongue
Pelvicthrustman who made the ELF Search Tool was considering making it so that the program could automatically find and detect possible widescreen values using an algorithm.

Perhaps in the future, the latest cheats_ws folder could always come pre-bundled with PCSX2, but I'd need to know first before that happens.
I was thinking of making every patch follow a professional standard. We currently have 550.

PCSX2 coders can take as much time as they need, although I'd like to see it done in the next mainstream PCSX2 1.1.0 release, possibly by this summer.