How much impact does a graphics card have?
(02-25-2018, 02:15 PM)FlatOut Wrote: Yes. Even most Intel integrated HD graphics series, which have a low graphics rating, can still pull off 2x native and sometimes even higher in some less demanding games.
What do you consider a low graphics rating?  I have seen a lot of integrated Intel chips at 500-600, but I have also seen a few at 1500+ (score as per the PassMark website)

(02-25-2018, 11:30 PM)scythefwd Wrote: a gtx 750 ti oc (like the one in my sig) will outperform the 1030, so will the gtx 950.  If you can find them used.. they should be under 100.. Though for some reason those 750's are asking 400ish on amazon right now (I should sell mine lol.. even used, 200 would be a steal in comparison)
Cost is not the issue, form factor is.  I don't want a computer (I already have one of those).  I want something small that can be tucked away by the TV (or even better, VESA mounted) and be invisible.  I understand that this is a limiting factor, but there are a handful of micro/mini PCs that seem like they can handle PCSX2 in all/most games, but each of these devices has trade-offs and I am trying to figure-out which trade-off to make that will have the least negative impact on PCSX2. My ultimate goal is 100% speed on all supported titles, at native resolution.  Any resolution increase beyond that is a bonus.

(02-26-2018, 06:44 PM)gregory Wrote: The issue isn't the graphics effect but the way is must be emulated to achieve the same rendering as the PS2. For example, if you want to do a depth of field effect on a modern game,  you bind the depth texture, and do a read in the fragment shader. It can be done with 1 draw call. You can't do that on the PS2, so instead depth format is interpreter as a color and 100-1000 draw calls are used to modulate the rendering based on this pseudo texture color. You can add another factor 2x, 3x (so ~300 draw calls minimum) on top of that because of the overhead of emulation. So a cheap effect on modern GPU is ultra expensive to reproduce in the PS2 way.

If you can replace some PS2 rendering by an HLE shader, you easily gain a factor 10 !
I understand, thank you for the explanation.  I see that, according to that link, that shaders area already implemented in many titles, but are missing in others, is there a place that tracks which titles have shaders to replace the fixed function pipeline effects?

Sponsored links

(02-27-2018, 03:47 PM)latreides Wrote: What do you consider a low graphics rating?  I have seen a lot of integrated Intel chips at 500-600, but I have also seen a few at 1500+ (score as per the PassMark website)
The 500-600 ones. That is the bare minimum you should consider though.
(02-27-2018, 04:22 PM)FlatOut Wrote: The 500-600 ones. That is the bare minimum you should consider though.
Ok, I haven't seriously considered any that don't have at least a 1500 on graphics rating and at least 2000 on STR so I should be good for the most part.  There are a few that dip below 2000 on STR and go up much higher on the graphics rating (these are quad core that are presumably for actual modern gaming, not emulation).  I appreciate all of the feedback here.
(02-27-2018, 03:47 PM)latreides Wrote: I understand, thank you for the explanation.  I see that, according to that link, that shaders area already implemented in many titles, but are missing in others, is there a place that tracks which titles have shaders to replace the fixed function pipeline effects?

No there isn't any list. Besides the link is about a single effect of the GS. There are tons of features not supported (or slow) by modern GPU.

Quote: fixed function pipeline effects

Just to make my self clear. It isn't an effect attached to a fixed pipeline. Instead, the fixed functions give you a couple of operations (basically texturing, blending, pixel test). Those operations are used with multiple draw calls to emulate a rendering effect. So it is rather complex to decipher the rendering of the game to replace it with a dedicated shader.