How noticeable of a change?
I am currently using 0.9.6 to emulate my games, and almost all of the games that I play run, but without a very good FPS.

//System:
Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
Originally: Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
2GB RAM
Processor (listed below)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 Integrated Graphics at Approx. 256MB

GTA3 - 33-37FPS
FFX - 35-40FPS
FFXII 26-32FPS
Legaia 2 -32-38FPS

Those FPS are what it looks like while your actually playing the game, cut-scenes and menus all run at about 65-80FPS, depending on the game.

I know its because my processor is fairly week to be running higher-end emulations:
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.31GHz

So I was looking at either overclocking or upgrading, with overclocking, the highest I would push my processor would be 2.8GHz, if it could handle it.

With upgrading I was looking at something more like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819103274
(AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ Brisbane 3.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor)

If I where to overclock/upgrade, how big of a FPS/speed change would it make?

Sponsored links

get the fastest core2duo and you should be cool.
Nobody can accurately say what kind of speed gains you'll get because since speed in the same game keeps varying with different versions and the SAME hardware. So its the emulator's code that 'decides' how much of a speed gain in every version. Smile

Plus do try to get a nice GPU if you can afford.
Best one that I can spot on new egg (without digging to much) would be this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819103228
(AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor)
Overclocking would help you a few fps, not really a cure.
Upgrading and you'd get yet another couple fps more > still too slow.

As long as you keep those athlon x2 cpus, it won't get much faster Tongue2
Mreah, as long as I can push it up to be atleast 44-46FPS avg (about 75% orig speed) I am fine with it, I play games on it somewhat regularly as it is now, it just gets a tad annoying when you hit a high graphic effect spot and it drops down to like 11-22FPS as it gets glitchy and the sound likes to flicker rather loud in your ear until it gets past it.
Try the new Phenoms if you have the dough...Try to use speedhacks too.
[Image: Sig3copy.gif]
id say getting a halfway decent pci-e 2.0 vcard instead of upgrading your cpu. while your using onboard graphics, your using some of your processor to rendor the graphics, so thats whats really killing your fps when you get into intense scenes.
also the amd 7750 is a great chip for the price, and if your ganne get that, try to get the black edition, unlocked multiplier = godsend for oc'ing Tongue
and make sure you get a nice fan for it, bc amd sends really crappy stock fans Sad
[Image: 1816969.png]
Oh didn't see his GPU. Yup I second anorexic's suggestion on the upgrade of your GPU.

Actually I just found out that GPU does in fact help in producing frames that I only use 1.05 Ghz(changed my CPU max speed to 50% in power options) of My laptop's CPU speed to save energy when playing PS2 games and I still get 55FPS(I limited it to 55 FPS to help me with the combos of the gameSmile) in Ar Tonelico 2.
[Image: Sig3copy.gif]
Wow, I didn't even think of getting/upgrading the GPU, I'm not that die hard of a PC gamer so when I do play them I just install and go, so I don't hardly ever mess with it.

I guess I know what I am asking for my birthday! Tongue
Im afraid they are correct, those GPU's are both quite shocking and will seriously slow down your games due to all the GS plugin processing which is done via hardware.

Get yourself a nice midrange card (geforce #600 series) or higher and youll notice a nice boost in speed Smile
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]