How pnach files work
I'm trying to use cheats in Phantasy Star Universe Story Mode but I can't get it to work.

I have a pnach file I've put into the cheats folder named 29B44F89.pnach (the name the crc value I took from the wiki)
Quote:gametitle= Phantasy Star Universe [SLUS_211.94] (U) 
//C0 74 3E 9E BF 76 2C BC 4F A8 EF 01 8E 03 2E A1 DA 9C 54 75 
//SLUS_211.94 000D3D00 01C6C5C2 0384CD00 01C6C5C2 0384CD00 

//MASTER
//patch=1,EE,FE129B51,extended,800813BF
//patch=1,EE,000FFFFE,extended,0000024E
//patch=1,EE,000FFFFF,extended,0000024E
//patch=1,EE,901B14F8,extended,0C044FDE

//Timers Never Increase
patch=1,EE,2086A1A0,extended,00000000

//Infinite Item Usage
patch=1,EE,202F8820,extended,24100000

//Gain 1000 Meseta Per Change
patch=1,EE,202A6738,extended,341103E8

I've enabled cheats, then did a fresh boot of the game  (fast if that makes any difference) and loaded my last ingame save.

I used an item and it certain wasn't infinite but normal item usage. 
I got the codes from using codebreaker (v7+) codes and converting them with omniconverter to Unencrypted > Standard and then I used the Pcsx2 Converter without changing any settings.

What did I do wrong? Is the game title correct this way? Did I make a mistake during conversion?

Sponsored links

Hey guys,
Wondering if anyone is able to explain the cheat system a little more in depth, I'm having trouble figuring out how they work. I had one unique time where they did work, and since then, I've had no luck.
I'm currently testing with Jade Cocoon 2 (NTSC-U) (CRC=CA91718B) (SLUS=20309).
I took the working example from this website, it was another thread with other users posting their own .pnach files. I placed the file in the correct file directory location. I then edited most of the codes off, as I only wanted 9 of 195 enabled, so with Notepad++, I done a "find and replace" on "=1" to "=0", then went back and manually changed the desired cheats back to "=1".
I started up my game, selected "Shutdown," clicked "Enable cheats," and resumed game. The cheats worked. After saving via the emulator save state, I cannot replicate these cheats what so ever, I've tried every method I can think of, every variation of enable/loading the cheats. I think the problem may lie with me using the turbo mode, as it loads the cheats every time turbo is activated or deactivated, but I believe I've tested thoroughly against this.
Has anyone had a similar experience, or has anyone figured out a set of solid guidelines to ensure the cheats work?

I'd appreciate any feedback,
Thanks,
Jamie.

(I don't claim any ownership over the .pnach file, as I did not create it, it was publicly sourced from this forum.)

Attached Files
.pnach   CA91718B.pnach (Size: 9,72 KB / Downloads: 542)
Going to redirect everyone to here: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-How-PNACH-files-work-2-0

@Jamjar: If you load a Save State, it will load that exact same 'state' that it was saved in. So if codes were disabled at the time of creating the state, they will be disabled again, even if they were enabled before loading the save. You don't have to shut down the game entirely to turn on codes. Simply enabling turbo and disabling it will update the emulator to refresh it and enable the codes. Unfortunately some codes can't be turned off without restarting the game, so be aware of that.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
I'll link that in the OP.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Thanks for the quick replies guys.
I read your thread before posting Ryudo, but I felt that it didn't clear up my issue. (No offence meant.)
I'll do some tinkering with the save state and see if I can get them to work again.

Thanks,
Jamie.
Yeah, after some testing today, I can confirm that the cheats work if I start up a game and don't reload a save state. This wouldn't be a problem as I'd just use the virtual memory card rather than save states, but the cheats randomly stopped working on this newly loaded game again. I'm having trouble nailing exactly what makes it occur though...
You're using patch=0 for most of these codes. As I mentioned in my guide - using patch=0 makes the codes run at the start of the game, but it doesn't constantly write to the memory. This causes the game to eventually refresh stuff and the code won't re-enable. If you want to permanently enable a code, use patch=1, and if you want to just fully disable the code, comment it out with //patch. (As I also mentioned; turning off a code might not always be possible without fully restarting the game).
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(10-18-2016, 11:43 PM)Ryudo Wrote: You're using patch=0 for most of these codes. As I mentioned in my guide - using patch=0 makes the codes run at the start of the game, but it doesn't constantly write to the memory. This causes the game to eventually refresh stuff and the code won't re-enable. If you want to permanently enable a code, use patch=1, and if you want to just fully disable the code, comment it out with //patch. (As I also mentioned; turning off a code might not always be possible without fully restarting the game).

I've zero'd out all the ones that I didn't want, I just wanted quick exp (which is the only ones I've marked patch=1 with)
The ones I did mark as positive, I do want on permanently, but I will go back and comment out the codes I do not want.
My issue is, even the positive marked codes, work only for a short while on a new game with no loaded save state, when as you explain; patch=1 identifies as permanently enabled.
This is why I'm confused, logically, they should be working, the log even states that the codes are loaded, but they simply don't other than the new game example as above.
Sorry for going in circles with you Ryudo, I'm just getting a little frustrated as I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Edit: Changed all the "patch=0" lines to include comment markings "//patch=0" No change in results.
Fixed.

Ryudo, I apologise again for going in circles, but I figured out the issue. It was not emulator or .pnach file related, everything was working as expected. The issue lay the game I had chose, in the way it identifies beasts.

Basically, in this game you have an active roster of 8 beasts, and can hold a vast amount in a "bank," if you will. I assumed, as the code was described as, beasts one through to eight would be the active beasts, but the code points to a list of all obtained beasts instead. I just needed to activate more than the first eight in the .pnach file, and reorganise the bank list to ensure the code applies to the newer beasts I obtain.

TL;DR: Game issue.

Thanks for the feedback during this problem guys. Smile
Jamie.
Request. Can someone make cheats for Midnight Club 3: DUB Editon Remix or link a cheat download?