How's SW rendering with 4core cpu going?
I'm planning to replace my outdated AMD cpu with something new faster one.
E8500 overclocked is supposed to be the first candidate.
On the other hand seen a few reports that getting it work with decent fps in software rendering with 4core.
I've never thought to run pcsx2 regularly in SW mode because of my crap cpu.
But if it goes pretty well with recent processer like C2Q Phenom2, I think 4core SW rendering is a very reasonable choice.
Regarding GSDX development trend too.

So, I'd like to ask quad core users how games run in SW mode.
Slow in most? or depend on OC rate, many work at around fullspeed?

Sponsored links

pcsx2 only supports 2 cores, even with quad core it will only use 2 cores.
Laptop Rig:

Core 2 Duo @ 1.8Ghz
3 gb DDR2-800 RAM
256mb ATI HD 3430
Windows Vista Buisness 32-Bit

Desktop Rig:

P4 HT @ 3.0Ghz
3 gb DDR2-533 RAM
256mb ATI X1300
Windows XP Pro 32-Bit
(03-26-2009, 11:16 AM)Mortred Wrote: pcsx2 only supports 2 cores, even with quad core it will only use 2 cores.

True, but the Q6600 is a very nice processor that easily overclocks to 3.2 ghz with a cheap after market cooler. More importantly, it is a cheap option to get the SSSE3 instruction set, which works very nicely for PCSX2. With my rig, I can run Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XII at full speed. With more and more multi-threaded programs these days, you may as well get a quad core now. It never makes sense to upgrade your PC JUST for PS2 emulation.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
(03-26-2009, 11:16 AM)Mortred Wrote: pcsx2 only supports 2 cores, even with quad core it will only use 2 cores.
Gsdx can use more than 2 cores for software rendering. It's in the gsdx's config - SW render threads.
Also, if you plan on upgrading to an E8500 or one of the Core 2 Quads...why would you want to be running in SW mode anyway?
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
4 core sw rendering is very likely fast enough for more than 2/3rd of the games that run ok on pcsx2.
Just make sure you get something in the lines of 3.2 to 3.8Ghz, and if possible with SSE4.1 (qx9550).
If you want a cpu just for pcsx2, get a dual core which you can overclock to 4GHz like the E8500 but if you want future proofing than its better to get a quad core like the one i have.
q6600 OC @ 3.3Ghz, 4gb ddr2 ram, nvidia gtx 260, 2x 1 tb hard disk
(03-26-2009, 11:39 AM)Renegade Wrote:
Gsdx can use more than 2 cores for software rendering. It's in the gsdx's config - SW render threads.

Yeah, I saw that somewhere.
In case of Hardware rendering Pcsx2 use only 2core.
1 for gsdx, another for all the other things right?
However it's in Software rendering with proper setting you can use all other 3core for Gsdx to render screen.
Some reports say that the fps in 4core sw mode is getting over 100 upto 200(was it?) not sure but anyway big number.

GSDX is really great plugin but the dev is only one person.
So it's very hard job to take care of every single bug report
and it seems most of the fixes for long while are for software mode not for hardware.

So I had a thought if 4 core sw running is actually such fast at many games, choosing 4core for pcsx2 is very efficient option. Besides that sw rendering is almost glitches free.

If you have 4core, give it a shot if it makes any speed difference from hardware mode.
Set the number to 3 in Sw rend. threads in gsdx config.

Thanks rama. that's what I want to know.
Now I'm leaning to Quad so much!
Just tried it on with MGS3, I figured 3 threads for gdsx and one for the emulator so I set threads to 3. Gotta say thats the first time Ive ever seen all 4 cores of my q9550 pegged.
A QX will split the load over all four cores though and you could maybe set affinity to all four as well, not sure as I have a QX and don't need to bother setting it.
Plus like rama said, you can set the GSdx 890 (MSVC 15.00,SSE41) 0.1.14 option in your Graphics on the main configuration screen. All four cores are definitely used then.
*image removed* can you please use an image which doesnt take up half a meg thanks. try to keep it < 100k if you can - Admin