How to control voice files
Hi guys! I'm playing Grandia III for the PS2 via PCSX2. Since this game does not show any subtitles while playing cutscenes (by cutscenes I mean engine rendered scenes, not CGs), it is hard to follow sometimes if for example you want to play the game with the japanese voices. 

My idea here is to find when the game sends the "play voice x file" order to the engine, and do some stuff from it. But I don't really know how this order is executed, or if there is any kind of variable that the game uses in order to set the voice file pointer. 

I was wondering if there exists some audio plugin for PCSX2 that prints a line in the console each time an audio file is decompressed and played by the engine, or somehing that could allow me to know when the voices are playing.
Do you guys have any ideas of how to approach this problem? 

Thank you in advance! 

Sponsored links

In the SPU2-X Debug settings, you can choose to display Key On/Off events in the console as well as Voice Stop events. You may need to compile SPU2-X with Visual Studio because certain debug options are restricted otherwise.
(04-06-2018, 05:27 PM)CK1 Wrote: In the SPU2-X Debug settings, you can choose to display Key On/Off events in the console as well as Voice Stop events. You may need to compile SPU2-X with Visual Studio because certain debug options are restricted otherwise.

I've already tried that out, but the console only prints messajes when a sound is being played (sounds like hits, UI navigation, etc) but It doesn't print anything when the voices are played during cutscenes...
For now just to enjoy the game, you can use this Grandia 3 game scenes script:
http://www.neoseeker.com/grandia-iii/faq...cript.html
(04-06-2018, 09:55 PM)dhillel Wrote: For now just to enjoy the game, you can use this Grandia 3 game scenes script:
http://www.neoseeker.com/grandia-iii/faq...cript.html

Thank you, that sure will be handy. But right now I'm more interested on how to detect the voices playing in the engine, since maybe I could come up with a program that adds subtitles in the cutscenes externally (without hacking the game). 

I was wondering now if the voice files are loaded on memory before they start playing, but I'm not an expert... What do you think, guys?