How to download the latest SVN version?
(06-19-2014, 04:08 PM)SamSoNight Wrote: Is the latest SVN recommended over 1.2.1 r5875?

I would be careful with that.

GIT/SVN versions are not optimized. You can get a speedboost using a release version. (Only interesting if you see slowdowns.)

Sponsored links

(06-19-2014, 05:49 PM)willkuer Wrote: I would be careful with that.

GIT/SVN versions are not optimized. You can get a speedboost using a release version. (Only interesting if you see slowdowns.)

It's interesting what you said, because I've always thought (and admins says that too), that SVN/GIT versions are faster and more compatible than stable releases.
(06-19-2014, 06:00 PM)kenji28 Wrote: It's interesting what you said, because I've always thought (and admins says that too), that SVN/GIT versions are faster and more compatible than stable releases.

Eh, it's not exactly faster, since pcsx2's goal(?) is compatibility and not speed.
On the contrary, earlier versions might be faster for some machines.
[Insert Witty Sig Here.]
(06-19-2014, 06:00 PM)kenji28 Wrote: It's interesting what you said, because I've always thought (and admins says that too), that SVN/GIT versions are faster and more compatible than stable releases.

Please quote to back up this claim?

The point is that development builds (svn/git) sometimes have new features or improved speed (not very frequent at all), but release builds have optimizations which take a lot of time to perform - so the development builds don't have them.

In practice, unless you happen to play a game which got improved since the release (and there are few at most), release builds are 5-10% faster than development builds due to this special (PGO) optimization.

And if an important feature lands at the development builds, it's likely that a release will follow not very long afterwards.
don't wanna overshadow what the admins said but that doesn't make sense. i thought they did pgo for the releases. which would optimize the whole thing. sure balanced for a couple of games that went into the profile and still imbalanced for specifiic differences. it can't really be faster for every game.

a "quickie" sure is fast for one game that got hotfixed and tested in that revision.

greetz @avih. Smile
(06-19-2014, 06:09 PM)dabore Wrote: don't wanna overshadow what the admins said but that doesn't make sense. i thought they did pgo for the releases. which would optimize the whole thing. sure balanced for a couple of games that went into the profile and still imbalanced for specifiic differences. it can't really be faster for every game.

They do. I've seen that mentioned a few times since I joined.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
The difference I see in most games is about 5%. But if you are just barely full speed, it could be worth it.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(06-19-2014, 08:40 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: They do. I've seen that mentioned a few times since I joined.

Next time it happens it would be a good idea to correct them and point them to my post above, or to any other post which turns up as search result for the search term 'PGO' at the forum.

However, since most admins and devs are well aware that we do PGO optimizations on release versions only, I think you're much more likely to find admins/devs say exactly what I said above, rather than ones which say that nightly builds are faster.
Agree with avih.

By the way GIT is the latest release while SVN was stopped back in March. The Build Bot has not been updated to built from GIT at this point in time. That is why the latest date for SVN 5932 is 2014-03-23 08:25:54. The switch to GIT broke the bot and it hasn't been updated yet hence the thread on the forums for the weekly GIT releases.