How to get shadows at high resolution?
I'm playing The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal night on PCSX2 v1.6.0 and in hardware mode there are no shadows, and in 1 of the levels the player need to look for shadows of dropping bombs to avoid them, including during a boss fight, and shadows also help to find where you are compare to the ground when in the air, witch make shadows very important. Switching to software mode works but now it's native resolution, and there is insane lag whenever something explodes (which happens a lot). Is there a way to make shadows work on hardware mode? I saw another thread about this, in it people said it was impossible but that thread was from 2011, so is it possible now?

Sponsored links

Looks like DirectX Renderer doesn't have shadows, you could try changing to OpenGL as that should have it.

If not then upgrade to the latest nightly build and use Vulkan or OpenGL and it will be fine

[Image: uAeWSzX.png]
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(06-14-2022, 04:45 PM)refraction Wrote: Looks like DirectX Renderer doesn't have shadows, you could try changing to OpenGL as that should have it.

If not then upgrade to the latest nightly build and use Vulkan or OpenGL and it will be fine

[Image: uAeWSzX.png]

Switching to OpenGL has solved the shadows but now I have some frame rate problems.
OGL renderer may be more demanding, and if your machine isn't up to the par, yes, it will struggle.
Vulkan will probably be better in your case
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(06-15-2022, 09:55 AM)jesalvein Wrote: OGL renderer may be more demanding, and if your machine isn't up to the par, yes, it will struggle.
Vulkan will probably be better in your case

With Vulkan I have the screen flashing white every couple seconds. Either that or it's a problem with the dev build (I was using the latest released version 1.6.0 until now).
may be a problem with your gpu driver, then. because ref doesn't seem to get this problem on the screesnhot above. and he's using Vulkan renderer
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(06-15-2022, 03:37 PM)jesalvein Wrote: may be a problem with your gpu driver, then. because ref doesn't seem to get this problem on the screesnhot above. and he's using Vulkan renderer

I updated the drivers, it didn't worked, but then I discovered that the flashing only happen in a specific (in-game) area with all renderers. I didn't noticed it earlier because I have just reached that area when I started testing Vulkan.