How to improve performance?
(07-25-2009, 12:52 PM)Larfin_Man Wrote: Innuendo, PCSX2 doesn't operate exactly as the console does. Many people can get well over 100FPS depending on the power of their machine and the game they play. Have you never gotten over 50 or 60 FPS? Maybe that's because you have the frame limiter on? And yes 60fps is smooth, IF you get that without skipping frames, and without speedhacks. Full frames doesn't always mean perfect gameplay.

And KrazyTrumpeter05 isn't saying that literally every person has bad performance with SotC, he's just saying that it's one of the more demanding games. I hope your not here to flame people, and please get your facts straight before telling others they're wrong.

I am not a noob. Yes, I have gotten above 60 fps. And yes, I know it perferctly that you can get 900 fps if you have the power for it. And it is as I said it, it results in speeded-up gamplay, as if you were fast forwarding a movie.

Sponsored links

(07-26-2009, 06:18 PM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote:
(07-25-2009, 12:34 PM)Innuendo Wrote:
(07-24-2009, 05:12 AM)pizzaboyruben Wrote:
(07-24-2009, 05:03 AM)nasageek Wrote: You probably could get away with no speed hacks with a little overclocking. Your system is quite the powerhouse.

yeah but i dont think its my system i think the emulator slows me down. im running with almost 100 fps constantly but still its like laggy lol idk how to explain it. and when i try to lmit fps it just makes it too slow. sorrta dissapointed i thought i would be able to run shadow of the colossus no problem

You don't know what you are talking about.
First of all, you cannot get 100 fps from a ps2 game. They are all hard coded for television systems. Wich means that the emuilation MUST run on 60fps (for NTSC games) or 50fps (PAL games). Although I would prefer to call this Hz (refresh rate) rather than fps limit, since that's not the internal frame rate of the game. Many games have internal frameskip in their engines, and VERY many games actually run on 30 fps only, or any different frame rate, independantly form what the "outer" refresh rate is, wich is ALWAYS 60/50 fps.
So if you set the emulation to anything higher than that, that would only result in "fast forward".
Second off all, I bet your monitor runs on 60 hz refresh rate (nothing wrong with that), wich means that it cannot display more fps than that. It's not needed either. native 60fps is smooth like hell.
Larfin_Man already said what I was going to say about more than the 60 fps "limit" but I'll also say that FPS is NOT the same as refresh rate.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/televisi...efresh.htm

Explains things quite nicely.

As I said it in my answer to Larfin_Man, I am not a noob. I do not need to be explained about that. Fps is not the same as refresh rate, that is exactly what I am talking about. What I am saying is that what is called "fps" in pcsx2 is more like the emulation of the television set's refresh rate that a real ps2 would be displayed on. It's not like what is decently called frame rate, as in a pc game's case. Explanation can be read in my answer to Larfin_Man (see the above post.)
You get it? The thing that is is called "fps limit" in pcsx only contorls the SPEED of the game, the actual frame rate of the game is independant of that. Ps2 games are "mastered" as either of the following three variations:

1. The frame rate is 1:1 to refresh rate of the INTENTIONAL TV STANDARD (NOT YOUR MONITOR'S CURRNET REFRESH RATE THAT YOU ARE USING PCSX2 ON!!).
Witch is 60 hz (not going into pal versions now...).
These games render 60 frames per second.
----
2. The frame rate is half of the refresh rate. These are the games that render 30 frames per second.
----
3. The game engine has a variable frame rate. And bein so, in every minute of the game, either if it is running at 15 or 20 or 30 or 45 or 60 spf at that particular moment, the frames are still aligned into the 60 hz refresh rate.
-----------------------------

And that's it.
Now take case No.2 . If you set pcsx2's "fps limit" to 120, the result is: your game WILL run at 60 fps AND on double gameplay speed. (taken that your hardware can render that 120 "fps", of course.
And now take case No.3 . You've set pcsx2 fps limit to 60. The game's engine's frame skip control is doing it's stuff: If your hardware can't achive full gameplay speed, the engine decreases the internal framerate of the game, and so you get full gameplay speed but low frame rate. Now setting pcsx2 fps limit o higher, will not give you more internal fps out of the game, i will only make the gameplay faster. Of course in this case, it IS possible to achive real internal 60fps at normal gampelay speed: set pcsx2 fps limit to 60, and get a pc that is is really strong. This is the only way.
I didn't say anything about case No.1, because it is obvious after explaining no 2 & 3.
Good day, sirs.
Um, I didn't understand your point at all. First you say you can't get over 60 FPS, now you're saying you can? What? O.o
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
(07-29-2009, 09:34 PM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: Um, I didn't understand your point at all. First you say you can't get over 60 FPS, now you're saying you can? What? O.o

You cannot get an internal frame rate more than 60 fps, you can only speed the game up to it. If you fast-foward a vhs movie, that runs with more fps too, doesn't it now ?
Playing back a frame and rendering a frame are two completely different things.

I understand what you are saying where it's not like a PC where higher framerate doesn't mean a faster game. However, the emulator will still render the games the fastest it can, which can sometimes be over 100 frames per second. yeah, it makes the game go faster, but the program is still drawing 100+ frames every second. So that's why you can get more than 60 frames per second.

I also don't understand why you are arguing this until you are blue in the face and being rather rude about it as well.
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
(07-29-2009, 11:36 PM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: However, the emulator will still render the games the fastest it can, which can sometimes be over 100 frames per second. yeah, it makes the game go faster, but the program is still drawing 100+ frames every second. So that's why you can get more than 60 frames per second.

Again, that's exactly what I am saying. We are saying the same thing! You can not get more than 60 fps AT NORMAL GAMEPLAY SPEED. And Yes you can get more fps rendered if you are speeding the game up.
(07-29-2009, 11:36 PM)KrazyTrumpeter05 Wrote: I also don't understand why you are arguing this until you are blue in the face and being rather rude about it as well.

Because I don't let anyone say that i am wrong when i am not. Thats just it. I insist to the truth. Nothing personal.
Whatever.