How to open/extract PS2 SSH files?
Hello, everyone!

I apologize if this is the wrong subforum to ask, but since I didn't find a subforum about modding PS2 games or something like that, I thought this might be the most appropriate place to post this.

Anyway, I recently started getting interested in modding EA's MVP Baseball 2005 on PC after I got back into playing the game after a long time.

Now, since I own both the PS2 version and the PC version, what I want to do is to make a mod that will turn default controller button icons from the PC port into the PlayStation icons from the PS2 port.

So, instead of it looking like this (attachment1.png) I want it to look like this (attachment2.png)

One way to do this is by manually editing the images extracted from the game files, and replacing those button icons with PS icons, however, since I've never done graphics editing before, and I'm pretty sure it's a complicated process, I thought of a simpler method, and that is, I take the same files from the PS2 version of the game and replace them with the PC version, simple right?

Unfortunately, when I try to do this I stumble upon a problem where the files extracted from the PS2 game that contain the images I want, come with a different extension called SSH, which is something I wasn't able to find out how to open or extract them, no matter how much Googling I do.

On the PC port of the game, the same files that I'm looking for come with a FSH file extension, which can be simply extracted with tools like nfshtool, EA Graphics Editor, etc. These tools extract these files, and then give me proper images to work with.

On the other hand, if I try to use the same tools on the PS2 SSH files, I get an error or weird "pixelated"/corrupted rendering.

For example, here is how the PC FSH file contents look when viewed with EAGE (attachment3.png)

And here is how they look when I try to do it with SSH files while at the same time comparing the same file to the PC version (attachment4.png)

Notice how it is as I said before, the PS2 image files look "pixelated"/corrupted, whereas the PC images look normal.

Does anyone know what these SSH files are, and how would someone be able to extract them and have normal looking files which I could use?

I've uploaded these files which I'm working with along with all the tools I work with in the attachments so that if anyone is curious, they can take a look and see for themselves.

You can use EAGE to extract and preview files from the .BIG files that are provided, but I'd personally recommend using the BigGUI program for that, as it decompresses the file. The files I'm looking to edit are within the "pitchslc.fsh/ssh" file.

One more thing that I think is worth mentioning is that I found a tool called EA Graphics Tools that somehow managed to make extract the images from the SSH file, but all of them look corrupted or barely readable, as you can see from the Images.zip file within the attachments.

Apologies for the long post, and for posting images as attachments, as I was not able to create a thread with links to imgur.com. I hope this post does not break any rules regarding the no-piracy rule, as I believe I'm not breaking it since I'm only sharing one file from the game's thousands of files.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.zip   Files.zip (Size: 1,78 MB / Downloads: 52)
.zip   Images.zip (Size: 40,88 KB / Downloads: 50)

Sponsored links