How to run PCSX2 faster with Pentium 4?
Question 
Hey guys. Newbie on forums here.
I've been studying PCSX2 for some months now.
btw, I'm using a home PC using MS Windows XP Professional SP3 with Intel Pentium 4 3.00 GHz, 1,0GB RAM, ASUS X700 Series

Well, months ago, I was using PCSX2, and trying Kingdom Hearts II. It was running way too slow (intro) and the options "New Game" and "Load Game" weren't appearing.
These days, my PC went to HDD cleaning, and I reinstalled PCSX2. Somehow, I think I put the definitions I used before even though I didn't have the EXACT plugins (but I always used ZeroGS), and the intro runs pretty smoother and at normal speed.
But it always crashes after the Roxas scene (cuz I always skip the scenes because they go too slow).
Sometimes, I arrive to make it play the game. But it's way too slow.
I've tried other games such as Crash Twinsanity or Crash Bandicoot: TWoC but they go way too slow too

any way to make it faster with my drive?

Thanks

PS: I've searched the forums, but no one had the same problem I have

Sponsored links

(12-30-2008, 05:19 PM)Keyaku Wrote: I've been studying PCSX2 for some months now

Well, not enoughTongue

Else, you would have known that :

1 - You need at least a dual core to make it work at playable speeds
2 - Kingdom hearts 2 requires quite a powerful machine to be playable. Yours is crap. sry Wacko

With that rig, you should be able to play basic 2D PS2 games like disgaea.

Maybe final fantasy X will work, but not at full speed.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
KH 1 works better than FFX
Even with a powerfull machine KH/KH2 is a hard game to run, on KH1 I get some fps drops. Theres not much that can be done about it untill PCSX2 gets better, which will happen, just eventually Tongue
Piracy and Being a vegetarian that eats Quorn are alike.

Your in denial, and want the real thing, not matter what you think.

CPU:E8500 MB:Asus P5Q-E RAM: 3Gigs of Corsair domination 5-5-5-15 GfxCard:ATI Radion HD 4870 OC'd @775Mhz GPU, 1000Mhz GDDR5 Ram
(12-30-2008, 09:12 PM)jesalvein Wrote:
(12-30-2008, 05:19 PM)Keyaku Wrote: I've been studying PCSX2 for some months now

Well, not enoughTongue

Else, you would have known that :

1 - You need at least a dual core to make it work at playable speeds
2 - Kingdom hearts 2 requires quite a powerful machine to be playable. Yours is crap. sry Wacko

With that rig, you should be able to play basic 2D PS2 games like disgaea.

Maybe final fantasy X will work, but not at full speed.

Um actually the PS2 card is almost = to the Intel Pentium 4 (PS2 is a little bit much weaker than Pentium 4)
Games must run at full speed. The program wasn't just coded enough to a Pentium 4. People only use a Dual Core because it's already ready for it.
btw I ain't buying dual core to implement on my PC Tongue
I got good reasons for that
(12-30-2008, 11:39 PM)Keyaku Wrote: Um actually the PS2 card is almost = to the Intel Pentium 4 (PS2 is a little bit much weaker than Pentium 4)

maybe, but architecture is completely different. This explains why you need a really MORE powerful cpu to make emulation possible.

This is one of the basics to emulate any system. Keep it in mind Cool
Yeah sure, just ignore the fact that your machine has to emulate a whole environment to actually run the games at all. There is much more to it than just processing power, you can't just compare the R5900 to your P4 and think it will work the same just because the specs suggest it should.

Now what I'm intrested in is your reason not to buy a multicore, what could possibly be a "good" reason for that?

I don't mean to mock you or something, I really am curious.
(12-31-2008, 12:00 AM)morpha Wrote: Yeah sure, just ignore the fact that your machine has to emulate a whole environment to actually run the games at all. There is much more to it than just processing power, you can't just compare the R5900 to your P4 and think it will work the same just because the specs suggest it should.

Now what I'm intrested in is your reason not to buy a multicore, what could possibly be a "good" reason for that?

I don't mean to mock you or something, I really am curious.

Um OK I'll explain to ya (I'm not being idiot right now, just trying to explain):
First: here in Portugal, I don't think I know a place to buy A Core Duo 2
Second: even though I would find one, isn't it a little bit expensive? I mean, I have to buy it and pay a guy placing it...
Third: I don't find any good motive to have a Dual Core on my PC since it's nothing but home PC. If it was portable, then it would be really interesting

the third reason is what makes me more not buy a Dual Core. Wink
(12-31-2008, 12:43 AM)Keyaku Wrote: First: here in Portugal, I don't think I know a place to buy A Core Duo 2
Buy it on internet :http://www.rueducommerce.fr/Composants/Processeurs/INTEL-Core2-Duo/INTEL/438544-Processeur-INTEL-Core-2-Duo-E7300-2-66-GHz-65-Watts-0-045.htm

Believe me, it's not the cheapest one you can find but I give it as an example.

(12-31-2008, 12:43 AM)Keyaku Wrote: Second: even though I would find one, isn't it a little bit expensive? I mean, I have to buy it and pay a guy placing it...

Depends on how much money you can spend in it, of course.
Come on... Can't you place it yourself ?

(12-31-2008, 12:43 AM)Keyaku Wrote: Third: I don't find any good motive to have a Dual Core on my PC since it's nothing but home PC. If it was portable, then it would be really interesting

It's not recommended to play pcsx2 on a laptop... (lack of power, overheat...)

(12-31-2008, 12:43 AM)Keyaku Wrote: the third reason is what makes me more not buy a Dual Core. Wink

I still don't really understand why, then.Wacko
(12-31-2008, 01:15 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Buy it on internet :http://www.rueducommerce.fr/Composants/Processeurs/INTEL-Core2-Duo/INTEL/438544-Processeur-INTEL-Core-2-Duo-E7300-2-66-GHz-65-Watts-0-045.htm

Believe me, it's not the cheapest one you can find but I give it as an example.
I don't like buying stuff from internet (security mesures)

(12-31-2008, 01:15 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Come on... Can't you place it yourself ?
if you teach me how, it would be appreciated Smile

(12-31-2008, 01:15 AM)jesalvein Wrote: It's not recommended to play pcsx2 on a laptop... (lack of power, overheat...)

what about the smallest Sony VAIO? it is the strongest but also the smallest PC ever (it contains core duo 2 and best stuff)
haha, if I really had money to afford it. it would be my dream Rolleyes