Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to use shaders?
Sad 
I read all the documentation about how to use shaders but I still have some doubts (I'm on PCSX 1.4.0, which should be the newest release):

-Do you still have to call them "shader.fx" or can you use their proper name?
-Do they still have to be in the "shaders" folder? If yes, can they be in a subfolder of "shaders"?
-Most shaders don't have a config.ini, but PCSX2 requires it. What should I do, point to a blank text file?
-Does the config have to have a special name like "shaders.ini" or it can be named freely?

I'm asking all this because I cannot make any shader work, and the HOME key (which should enable/disable them) doesn't do anything.

Currently I'm trying the GSdx FX Suite v2.30: both the "shader.fx", and the "GSdx_FX_Settings.ini" files are in the "shaders" folder, I configured the "GSdx_FX_Settings.ini" with a text editor but I cannot see any change in the picture.

Thanks in advance in case you decide to help me.

Sponsored links

You need to select that shader in Config --> Video (GS) --> Plugin settings --> Shader Configuration --> External Shader.

Path is for pcsx2 1.5.0, but i think it was the same in 1.4.
(09-24-2019, 07:56 PM)kozarovv Wrote: You need to select that shader in  Config --> Video (GS) --> Plugin settings --> Shader Configuration --> External Shader.

I know that, but they still don't work, do I have to use OpenGL? Currently I'm using Directx11 (Hardware), here's a screenshot of my configuration:

[Image: cCTLS7H.png]

P.S. isn't 1.5 unstable? The last "legit" version in the download section is the 1.4
The last "legit" version is also 3 years old and honestly with all the bug fixes in the developer builds is probably less stable. If you are really worried about stability then you can do what I do. Whenever you start a new long game (RPG, something that takes a long time to complete) make a new folder for a git build and don't update that one until you complete the game. Keep a separate version as up to date as you are bothered to do, so you have the latest bug fixes and play your pickup and play games on that one. Regular in game saves should be pretty compatible across different versions. ( I would not do this with savestates, and you should never rely on savestates if you can avoid it since in all emulation they are a far more risky main save)

https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php?m=fulllist

I am sorry that I can not really help with the shaders though. I have never used them or looked in to what kinds of shaders are even available.
(09-25-2019, 05:23 AM)TkSilver Wrote: The last "legit" version is also 3 years old and honestly with all the bug fixes in the developer builds is probably less stable.  If you are really worried about stability then you can do what I do.  Whenever you start a new long game (RPG, something that takes a long time to complete) make a new folder for a git build and don't update that one until you complete the game.  Keep a separate version as up to date as you are bothered to do, so you have the latest bug fixes and play your pickup and play games on that one.  Regular in game saves should be pretty compatible across different versions.  ( I would not do this with savestates, and you should never rely on savestates if you can avoid it since in all emulation they are a far more risky main save)

https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php?m=fulllist

I am sorry that I can not really help with the shaders though.  I have never used them or looked in to what kinds of shaders are even available.

Then why 1.4 is the last one available in the download section? Newbies like me are confused by stuff like that.
I'll do as you suggest for the savegames, and I hope someone can help with the shaders.

UPDATE - I checked the PCSX2 status window as the game was booting and I got this:
C:\Users\XXXXXX\Documents\PCSX2\shaders\GSdx.fx(26,1-6): error X3000: unrecognized identifier 'define'
GSdx: failed to compile external post-processing shader.

What does it mean?