How well does both Castlevanias do on PCSX2
Hi everyone!

First I would like to thank the devs for creating an emulator like this, as far as I've seen it does a tremendous job emulating the PS2 and plays many games pretty well.

I'm not new in the emulation scene, have done it since -99 with Nesticle beeing my first experience but I'm actually kinda new to the PS2/PCSX2 scene.

The thing is I love Castlevania more then anything when it comes to game series, there's just something about it's atmosphere that makes my skin crawl and Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness are pure gold for a Castlevania freak as I am, actually my favourite is Akumajou Dracula X Nocturne in the Moonlight for Sega Saturn but that's another story.

My PS2 is rather old and it barely runs anything these days, still it looks pretty good, have taken care of it nicely. Well I live in Sweden and repair shops are pretty rare were I live and the ones I have called don't do PS2's anymore. I have recently dumped the bios from it since downloading one is against the law. The only games I have bought and own for it is Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness, Resident Evil 4 and Star Wars Force Unleashed.
There is hope however, I'm getting a new rig in january and hopefully I can play my Castlevania games again.

I have checked the compatibility list for Lament and Curse and they are playable, but right now I can't find out for my self. Though I have seen some videos on Youtube showing some gameplay from them but not much.

What I would like to know if there is someone here that has played and finished a US/NTSC copy of Lament of Innocence and a PAL/EU copy of Curse of Darkness on PCSX2. What specs do you have? Which FPS? What version of PCSX2? Or was it the latest Public Beta with plugins? How well did they perform on your machines?

My rig will have the following specs:

An MSI motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz processor
EVGA nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512MB
4GB DDR2 800MHz
7.1 Surround (integrated)

How well will these games perform on a machine like this?

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance!

Sponsored links

I recently tested Curse of Darkness and it runs pretty good even on my PC(I don't know about Lament,it was long ago the last time I tried that game on pcsx2)
(12-22-2009, 12:57 PM)vsub Wrote: I recently tested Curse of Darkness and it runs pretty good even on my PC(I don't know about Lament,it was long ago the last time I tried that game on pcsx2)

How are you people getting CoD to run? I can't get it to run even with speed hacks off on the latest beta.
------------
CPU: Core I7 Q720
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GT240M
Ram: 4 gigs
Hi vsub and thanks for your quick response!

You spread som light in this matter which made me very happy Smile I'm confident that I will have a good time with this and be able to play these two games.

I want you guys to know that I'm not expecting perfect emulation in any form, but if I can complete a game from start to finish without problems that's more than perfect for me.

What do you recommend, the latest Public Beta build with plugins or the 0.9.6 stable version?
(12-22-2009, 01:17 PM)InfelPira Wrote: How are you people getting CoD to run? I can't get it to run even with speed hacks off on the latest beta.

Well it works fine here(NTSC)
Tested it now on r1504,1888,2186 and I used ZeroSPU2,GSdx(SSE2)and Gigahertz CDVD(even with hacks)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Castlevania Lament of Innocence, I only played it a little, (NTSC), but it looked perfect.

I was using just 3GHz E6750 back then, I'm using 3.4GHz now.
[Image: 2212125.png]
| XFX HD6950 2048MB @ 900/1400 |
vsub that looks awesome, if I can get it to look like that and run it on my machine I'm more then satisfied and I don't even care if it lags or anything.

BlueSamurai thanks for sharing, it sounds positive and looks promising as I'm only gonna be so little from 3GHz.
(12-22-2009, 06:26 PM)TopGun1986 Wrote: vsub that looks awesome, if I can get it to look like that and run it on my machine I'm more then satisfied and I don't even care if it lags or anything

BTW I didn't used anything to enhance the graphic
It should play well on your pc Smile It isn't that much of a cpu-hog.
[Image: 2212125.png]
| XFX HD6950 2048MB @ 900/1400 |
(12-23-2009, 03:12 PM)BlueSamurai Wrote: It should play well on your pc Smile It isn't that much of a cpu-hog.

The last time I checked that game was EXTREMELY slow but I'm sure that now will be a lot faster(for example on KH2,MKA,ToA I was barely reaching 5fps with all kind of hacks but now I have 15-40(and more sometimes)without hacks.