How would this processor be for PCSX2?
Hi there guys,

my current rig is modeste, E2180 @ 2.6 Ghz, 2 Gb DDR2 RAM and HD 4670.

I was planning to upgrade to a Q9400 but I then noticed my mobo only supports old quads. So my new upgrade plan is:

-ASUS M4n68m-t mobo (quite cheap, supports AM3 cpu and DDR3)
-AMD Phenom II x4 945 (planning to OC it to at least 3.5 Ghz)
-2 Gb DDR3 RAM (eventually, 4)

So, how would that be? I think my current procesor can't even with Kingdom Hearts or Fatal Frame 2. It goes perfect untill a cutscene starts(very low fps even on native), or eventually, when playing, fps drop like to 20 and stays there forever.

Hope to hear good things! Tongue

Sponsored links

Well Pcsx2 only supports 2 cores practically, so think of just 2 cores clocked to 3.5Ghz. Clock for clock AMD processors are not as good as Intel ones on Pcsx2(design/instruction reasons). I'm dam sure you can play Fatal Frame full speed since I can on dual 1.8Ghz but I am also confident you can play KH although I haven't tried mine on Pcsx2 yet, was never fond of the game.
<REDACTED>
I would suggest going with a different mobo (a newer AMD-based one, 870 or 880G). Never been fond of Nvidia chipsets and the GF7025 is just old. Even if it supports AM3 processors, the slow HyperTransport would probably penalize performance.
what is your budget and what are the things you are planing to do with the pc?
And how would it go with shadow of the colossus? The phenom 945 performance has little difference with the q9400, i've seen the benchmarks.

I don't care about the chipset, I'm using a dedicated gpu.

I don't live in the usa or canada, here in my country electronics are much more expensive, that's the reason i'm on a budget.
(12-10-2010, 04:33 AM)Tsunemori Wrote: And how would it go with shadow of the colossus? The phenom 945 performance has little difference with the q9400, i've seen the benchmarks.

I don't care about the chipset, I'm using a dedicated gpu.

I don't live in the usa or canada, here in my country electronics are much more expensive, that's the reason i'm on a budget.

like i asked what is your budget and what are the things you wanna do with it? if you want help atleast answer the questions members are asking....
Obviously play games is the reason, as web browsing, listening to music and such -_-

My budget is like 210 bucks, but I already said to you that doesn't apply for the price in usa coz I don¡t live there.
i also dont live in the usa so that doesnt matter you have an idea what the cost are gonna be.

1st thing i wanna know is what mobo do you have now? maybe you can get a good dualcore from intel and play all the games you want Smile

most people say that quadcore makes difference in games on the pc but it really doesnt... not that much as they want you to believe that is.

if you have a decent mobo maybe you can look at the 7XXX or 8XXX series of intel those are great processors and oc like crazy. your gpu is fine for pcsx2 ends and why would you wanna buy ddr3 ram for a new mobo setup while ddr2 is also supported?

anywho's let me know on this k? Smile
I think you're good to go, just check this thread
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Will-PCSX...puter-copy

I can't comment much on that mobo but I notice it doesn't mention usb 3 or sata 6, so if file transfer speed is important that might be something to consider
I will go with warWeeny on this one. If your mobo support a "newer" or "higher end" intel proc that can OC high it will be a much better cost/performance option. Personally that's what I'll do being in your situation.

For PCSX2 you don't need a quad. And with a 2.4 mobile + 8400GT mobile I was able to play both Kingdom Hearts from start to finish on 1280x800 internal res. and texture filtering with really minor slowdowns (nothing like the 20fps you mention).

So there is also the chance your pcsx2 might be outdated or wrong configured too!

Don't underestimate the power of a nice Core 2 Duo!
SAGER NP8690 | i7-620M 2.66Ghz | 6GB RAM | ATI 5870M 1GB GDDR5 | FullHD 1080p 15.6'' | 500GB HDD 7200RPM | WINDOWS 7