[Howto] PCSX2 on AMD64 Ubuntu
Good news, they are lots of work recently to support multi-arch on debian/ubuntu. The ubuntu goal is to have the multi-arch infrastructure for 11.4 natty. I think we can hope for a full support (multi arch) of PCSX2 dependencies for ubuntu 11.10.

Sponsored links

I managed to compile PCSX2 svn 4600 in 64-bit Ubuntu Lucid through chroot. Everything works except sound, though I installed ALSA too.

The graphic plugin works OK but problem is there is no software mode option. A game I tried (Sly 3) had no problems in the videos but when the selection menu appears, frames drop very low even with speedhacks enabled and the screen becomes garbled with colors.

Try to play with the sound plugins configurations. Try also to close all applications that can used audio, one maybe lock your sound card accces.

GS plugins are less advance than windows. They will love contribution Wink
(04-29-2011, 08:56 AM)gregory Wrote: Try to play with the sound plugins configurations. Try also to close all applications that can used audio, one maybe lock your sound card accces.

GS plugins are less advance than windows. They will love contribution Wink

ok fixed it. thanks. I had to set the output in the sound plugin either to OSS or ALSA, so I installed and chose OSS.

yes, sound in linux is a mess. sometimes I have to delete the .pulseaudio folder to solve the problem.

I think one also has to install Nvidia's 64 bit drivers with 32-bit OpenGL support and each graphics card has a different configuration in each case.

I had a problem enabling direct rendering in opengl or else the graphics plugin did not work. there was a conflict between 64-bit and 32-bit opengl modules. So I uninstalled Nvidia completely and downloaded the second driver which installs also opengl 32-bit modules.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/270.29/

another problem is that Ubuntu supports only iso's so in case an image is not in that format I have to convert it first in order to be able to test it.

I also installed pcsx2 from the PPA but you have to do adjust more or less the same settings as with the svn.

Final verdict: It was worth the effort to manage to install pcsx2 on 64-bit Ubuntu, but I'll stick with the Windows version
Hum you are hard Wink The sound issue is normally fix it you have latest svn (not yet in ppa) but maybe some old config file were still on your computer. I try to keep ppa up to date with latest svn as possible so there is no big difference.

It will work with future version of ubuntu without chroot so it would be easier next time Smile

We have also support of DVD but never test it (all my games (+20) are on my hdd). I does not ship DVD plugins in the ppa due to licence issue.

I agree with you, the windows version is better but you need windows Wink
Decided to upgrade on Maverick but chroot has problems there. I can not set an chroot Maverick environment but only Lucid, so I gave up especially if you release a new version without chroot.

There is also a fresh experimental ppa trying to run PCSX2 without chroot. It runs ok but when I load a game or the boot screen, it crashes. I'll wait and see.

https://launchpad.net/~micove/+archive/experimental
A new version without chroot will be for ubuntu 11.10 (in 6 months). I think it will take 1 month or 2 to get the multiarch infrastructure on debian -> http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Bootstrapping
After the library package must be updated (2 are small and will probably be straight forward, only 1 is big wxWidget).
It can work without chroot but you need to manually install 32bits libraries inside /usr/lib32.

The best solution is either to manually download 32bits package and copy library into /usr/lib32 or found a ppa that install them for you. Then recompile PCSX2 from the svn.
You will
-> portaudio2
-> nvidia cg toolkit (look at my ppa)
-> wxwidget
-> glew
-> soundtouch (maverick may have it lib32soundtouch0)
Hi all,
great work on this project. I'm running AMD 64 Natty and trying to do a minimal install without modifying system files, and I've followed the directions provided at the bottom of the first page ( to add an alternate path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH when running ):

echo "env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=\"/home/ps2/pcsx2-0.9.8-r4594-linux/usr/lib/:/usr/lib32/:\$LD_LIBRARY_PATH\" ./pcsx2" > pcsx2-32.sh

The lib directory structure is present, provided by:

# dpkg -x libglew1.5_1.5.0dfsg1-3ubuntu1_i386.deb .
# dpkg -x libglew1.5-dev_1.5.0dfsg1-3ubuntu1_i386.deb .
# tar zxvf Cg-2.1_February2009_x86.tgz

ps2@jocque:~/pcsx2-0.9.8-r4594-linux/usr$ ls
bin include lib local share

ps2@jocque:~/pcsx2-0.9.8-r4594-linux$ ./pcsx2-32.sh
./pcsx2: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_baseu-2.8.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Is it still possible for me to get PCSX2 up and running with this method?
Your forgot the 32bit libraries of wxwidget. You will also need portaudio.
(06-02-2011, 11:01 AM)gregory Wrote: Your forgot the 32bit libraries of wxwidget. You will also need portaudio.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for my obtuseness. So I have these packages installed ( provided by synaptic ):

libportaudio2
libglew1.5
libglewmx1.5
libglew1.5-dev
libwxbase2.8-0
nvidia-cg-toolkit

and these packages extracted locally to my home dir ( provided by the OP ):

# dpkg -x libglew1.5_1.5.0dfsg1-3ubuntu1_i386.deb .
# dpkg -x libglew1.5-dev_1.5.0dfsg1-3ubuntu1_i386.deb .
# tar zxvf Cg-2.1_February2009_x86.tgz

During run-time, LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/ps2/pcsx2-0.9.8-r4594-linux/usr/lib/:/usr/lib32/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Do those three packages above not provide the 32-bit wxwidget libraries?

Update: extracted http://mirror.pnl.gov/ubuntu//pool/unive...8_i386.deb to the same directory. Still getting:

./pcsx2: error while loading shared libraries: libwx_gtk2u_core-2.8.so.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Update: Progress. Needed files from libwxgtk2.8-0_2.8.11.0-0ubuntu8_i386.deb as well. Now, I get this error:

ps2@jocque:~/pcsx2-0.9.8-r4594-linux$ ./pcsx2-32.sh
No protocol specified
Error: Unable to initialize gtk, is DISPLAY set properly?

ps2@jocque:~/pcsx2-0.9.8-r4594-linux$ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

What am I doing wrong?

Update: I was using ps2 shell with an xorg session not ps2. I logged in as ps2 and ran it. it's running!! Thanks for the help. Now to see if I can get video+sound.