I can't cheat
(04-09-2015, 02:51 PM)Ryudo Wrote: You or rama (can't remember who it was) fixed this a while ago in one of the 1.3.0 revisions when I reported the fact that pcsx2 won't read a custom folder being applied for the cheats directory.

But even then, the default directory is always the pcsx2 root directory (for the 1.3.0 and 1.3.1 and higher versions that come from the buildbot site). Not a huge issue if you know how to change these default folders in the .ini files.

Right, I fixed some of it, but the last installer is indeed earlier than the fix.

I'm wondering what's the preferred behavior then. It's obviously not nice to expect users to use "c:\program files\..." for their cheat/cheats_ws files even if the default can be modified by editing the ini file (that is, once we have a new installer which includes the fix).

I might look at it at some stage.

@OP, you can use the latest portable version from http://pcsx2.net/download/development/git.html where you could change the cheats and cheats_folder via the ini file.

Sponsored links

Is it possible to simply check both locations for the cheats? Something like:
Code:
if (program files\cheats\crc.pnach.Exists())
    loadCheat(crc.pnach)
else if (my documents\cheats\crc.pnach.Exists())
    loadCheat(crc.pnach)
else
    noCheats()
Intel Core i5-8600K @ 4.5 GHz
GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 Stock
ASRock Z370 Taichi LGA 1151 mobo
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB 2400 DDR4 RAM
SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB PCIe SSD
Indigo Xtreme Thermal Interface Material
Phanteks Enthoo Pro ES614P Black Steel Case
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR PSU
Windows 10 64-bit
(04-09-2015, 05:30 PM)jlwmanagement Wrote: Is it possible to simply check both locations for the cheats?

Probably yes, but PCSX has a concept of a single directory per type of files. The same way the memory cards are only searched in one dir, or the bios, or the plugins, etc - and that single dir can be configured. I prefer to not break this approach.

The only sort of exception for this is the cheats_ws.zip file - where pcsx2 first looks at the cheats_ws dir to find patches for the current game, and if it finds none then it also looks inside the cheats_ws.zip file. And this is not really using two different directories either.

So my question was whether or not it would be better to have the default cheats and cheats_ws dirs at the data dir instead of at the program dir (and considering it would "break" all the guides out there which instruct to put the cheat files at program files since this will no longer be the default place for cheats).

Of course, with portable install it doesn't matter at all since the program dir and the data dir are the same dir, but they're different when installing pcsx2, where one is at "program files" and one is at "my documents".
(04-09-2015, 05:34 PM)avih Wrote: The only sort of exception for this is the cheats_ws.zip file - where pcsx2 first looks at the cheats_ws dir to find patches for the current game, and if it finds none then it also looks inside the cheats_ws.zip file. And this is not really using two different directories either.

It does use two different directories on the installer version of 1.2.1 , one is on the program dir and the other on data dir. what do you mean by it's not really using two different directories ?

(04-09-2015, 05:34 PM)avih Wrote: So my question was whether or not it would be better to have the default cheats and cheats_ws dirs at the data dir instead of at the program dir

yes, that would be better. There aren't much guides which suggests to place it on the My documents folder. so, I don't think that would be much problem. if there was one, we can still make a new updated Guide on this.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(04-09-2015, 05:51 PM)ssakash Wrote: It does use two different directories on the installer version of 1.2.1 , one is on the program dir and the other on data dir. what do you mean by it's not really using two different directories ?

It doesn't. It only uses the one at the program dir, and then the cheats_ws.zip file which is also at the program dir. The fix where the cheats_ws and cheats dirs can be non-default using the ini file was after the 1.2.1 installer was released.

(04-09-2015, 05:51 PM)ssakash Wrote: There aren't much guides which suggests to place it on the My documents folder.

I was saying the opposite. ALL the guides instruct to put the cheats at the program dir because that's the default place where PCSX2 looks for patches. If we change the default to be at my document, then all those guide will instantly become broken.
If the future stable version has the ability to change the cheats folder in the ini (although the GUI having this ability would be nice) then that should be fine. It will be backwards compatible and allow those who want to use My Docs to do so with a minor config change.
Windows 10 64-bit
(04-09-2015, 06:24 PM)avih Wrote: I was saying the opposite. ALL the guides instruct to put the cheats at the program dir because that's the default place where PCSX2 looks for patches. If we change the default to be at my document, then all those guide will instantly become broken.

yeah, you're right. that may cause further confusion among others. how about merging the data dir and the program dir as the same way on how we do for the portable version ?
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(04-09-2015, 05:08 PM)avih Wrote: Right, I fixed some of it, but the last installer is indeed earlier than the fix.

I'm wondering what's the preferred behavior then. It's obviously not nice to expect users to use "c:\program files\..." for their cheat/cheats_ws files even if the default can be modified by editing the ini file (that is, once we have a new installer which includes the fix).

I might look at it at some stage.

@OP, you can use the latest portable version from http://pcsx2.net/download/development/git.html where you could change the cheats and cheats_folder via the ini file.

True. I do think by default it should just go in My Documents though.

Maybe you can make it work with the portable.ini file? If the portable.ini file is present, it will default to /cheats in pcsx2 directory, and if it's not there, it will go to the default directory, which would be in My Documents?

Not sure how much of that is possible. I think that's the current system with the other folders though. Unless I'm mistaken, then disregard this post entirely.

If the entire thing is too complicated then we can just leave it as is too.

(04-09-2015, 06:45 PM)jlwmanagement Wrote: If the future stable version has the ability to change the cheats folder in the ini (although the GUI having this ability would be nice) then that should be fine. It will be backwards compatible and allow those who want to use My Docs to do so with a minor config change.

^Having it in the GUI might not be a bad idea either. It would at least make it a whole lot easier than having to figure out how to change it in the .ini file for new users.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(04-09-2015, 09:08 PM)Ryudo Wrote: True. I do think by default it should just go in My Documents though.

Maybe you can make it work with the portable.ini file? If the portable.ini file is present, it will default to /cheats in pcsx2 directory, and if it's not there, it will go to the default directory, which would be in My Documents?

I disagree. Making My Docs the default location would not only make all guides and current posts on the forums meaningless, it would also cause quite a few new posts on this exact subject on the forums. I guess the question is...is there a pressing reason that it CANT or SHOULDNT be left in program files?
Windows 10 64-bit
(04-09-2015, 09:41 PM)jlwmanagement Wrote: is there a pressing reason that it CANT or SHOULDNT be left in program files?

Not really. That's why I also said, if it's too complicated then it can just be left as it is. It's just something that came up randomly really.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)