I guess older Radeons (like HD 5800) are just very slow for PCSX2?
so for the past 7+ years I've been only using the 5700/5800 series Radeons, and from time to time I would test PCSX2 to see the progress, I was mainly trying GTA VCS and it was never fullspeed, the intro would already drop to 80% or so, I tried all sorts of settings, no luck at getting constant fullspeed.

fast forward to a few months ago, I got an r7 370 which is less old, and tried PCSX2 again after a while and I was shocked, it all just worked fullspeed, same CPU and rest of the system, VCS at full speed and all the other games I tried (HL1, Guitar Hero, SSX3, Automodelista), the hardest I tested was GTA LCS, which under heavy conditions (like rain and the bad spots in the city) still clearly dropped from full speed but not much, using the 3 cores option helped a lot... now sadly the card became defective and I placed the 5800 back in its place and.... it's back at being slow, the save state that would run at fullspeed on LCS now runs at half speed or less, and I tested all the default plugin options (DX11, DX9, OGL) and no luck, DX11 works the least slow, and also native resolution and so on.... the odd thing is, the GPU utilization is not high, the CPU utilization doesn't look all that different than with the r7 370, but it's all A LOT slower....

so I ask, is it a known fact that these older Radeons like the 5850 have some bad driver overhead or something with PCSX2? or what's going on?

it's the same OS install and every other piece of hardware, just removing the 370 which was running driver 18.3 or something, to the 5850 which runs 15.7 or something (it has newer beta drivers available but they don't change much and are from the same period with the same capabilities), outside of that in what I tested the 5850 is performing as usual.

Sponsored links

I can't comment on the difference between the AMD cards themselves because I am a Nvidia user but OpenGL on an AMD card using AMD's drivers will run very poorly on PCSX2 and any other application using the newest OpenGL feature sets. AMD broke a lot of these extensions in their drivers, and after people bringing it up and AMD themselves acknowledging the problem, they've refused to do anything about it since.
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/wiki/Open...ed-to-know
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5
the problem is that I'm seeing a huge difference in DX11 or actually any API (and using DX9 or OGL makes it even slower), going from fullspeed to half speed or 60-70%, all other settings being equal and using native res (GPU load is nowhere near the 100%), it's kind of hard to believe, but it's what I'm seeing.

like all those years I judged PCSX2 performance based on how it ran on the 5850, and I always thought my CPU wasn't enough, but when I dropped the newer Radeon and installed PCSX2 again suddenly it was, I thought "wow the updated version of PCSX2 is massively faster!", but going back to the old card makes everything a lot slower again... it's actually impressive.
5850 is weak comparing to r7 370, find any compare in google. In some cases is even 2 times slower.
i don't think so...i have old rig of i5-4670 and HD7770 i was able to maintain to run mgs3 at stabled speeds...even run it the entire demo theatre.
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
As is often the case, people can show one or two games to run smoothly with any rig...but we're talking about the over all performance of PCSX2 on the OP's rig & what to expect. He's trying to play GTA VCS. So someone being able to play msg3 on a different, but similar rig, is swell, but that detracts from the more important message that people are trying to say. Bottom line, with the rig he has, he shouldn't expect to get great performance when trying to play GTA VCS for the reasons already brought up by the other posters
Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Geforce RTX 2060 6GB
32 GB DDR4 RAM
(06-12-2018, 05:49 AM)kozarovv Wrote: 5850 is weak comparing to r7 370, find any compare in google. In some cases is even 2 times slower.

yes but, when the 5850 is having GPU utilization at 40-50% or whatever (not maxed), and I'm running native res without any extras (like AA or anything), it shouldn't be the limiting factor like that, unless there is something else,

(06-12-2018, 06:08 AM)smartstrike Wrote: i don't think so...i have old rig of i5-4670 and HD7770 i was able to maintain to run mgs3 at stabled speeds...even run it the entire demo theatre.

HD 7770 is GCN 1.0 architecture, just like the R7 370, both can use the same drivers,

the HD 5850 is a different architecture (TeraScale 2, only used on HD 5000 and HD 6000, apart from the HD 6900 which is TeraScale 3) and uses different drivers.

(06-12-2018, 11:04 PM)envisaged0ne Wrote: As is often the case, people can show one or two games to run smoothly with any rig...but we're talking about the over all performance of PCSX2 on the OP's rig & what to expect.  He's trying to play GTA VCS.  So someone being able to play msg3 on a different, but similar rig, is swell, but that detracts from the more important message that people are trying to say.  Bottom line, with the rig he has, he shouldn't expect to get great performance when trying to play GTA VCS for the reasons already brought up by the other posters

the performance in VCS was actually great with the r7 370,
but with the exact same PC (apart from drivers and the graphics card) using the HD 5850 there is a huge performance drop, even using "low" settings like native res, with the GPU load being far away from maximum.

but my thread was not really about VCS, but about the huge performance drop I saw basically from swapping one (less old to older) Radeon for another, keeping all the rest equal, even when the GPU is far from showing max GPU load, meaning you would normally not expect it to be the limiting factor in this condition, but it must be since the result is clearly far lower performance in PCSX2,

so I question if it's a known thing that pre GCN Radeons are simply very slow or more CPU demanding on PCSX2; using DX11 or any other API, with the 370 I was using DX11 and getting great performance on the games I tried with PCSX2, SSX3 had some very slight slowdowns during the intro of the events, but the gameplay was all fullspeed; with the 5850 the gameplay is bellow fullspeed, VCS was the PAL version and was fullspeed all the time as far as I could see with the 370, with the 5850 it isn't, LCS NTSC was harder; in bad moments (rain and very busy area) I would get less than full speed with the 370 but not very far and it was mostly fullspeed running around, with the HD 5850 is far bellow fullspeed, like half and so on)