I have no idea how to configure
Everything I try PCSX2 is reporting 30FPS, however gameplay still feels VERY slow around 20fps, I also can't find how to get the game in 1080p or force AA etc.

(with framerate limited off, I get FPS in the 200s)

My Specs
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 680
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (8GB DDR3)

I ripped the games from the discs into a iso using ImgBurn however this issue also exists trying from the original disc

Games tried
Need For Speed Most Wanted
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater
Timesplitters - Future Perfect
Dogs Life
Burnout Revenge
from isos, and Burnout and NFS from the disc (I have the discs of the other games plus around 20 or so more for testing)

Thanks

EDIT: Made slight progress, now getting visual glitches (for example http://i.imgur.com/XtFjW.jpg) and while the framerate seems improved it still feels VERY choppy

Sponsored links

MGS3 is a major pain for almost every computer to run decent or even near perfect through PCSX2 Smile and I think those other games might be too heavy for your hardware Smile but if PCSX2 says 30 FPS and you actually really know that it's 20 FPS, you probably have VU Cycle Stealing too high, which may give you a false FPS reading. Also which PCSX2 version are you running??
post your settings and PCSX2 version please
Try these
  • Use pcsx2 0.9.9 :- PCSX2 SVN
  • Change the Round mode to Nearest and Clamp Mode to None in Both EE and VU's section.
  • Use Speedhacks : Try which one gives a boost and tick MTVU Hack.
  • Change the Base Framerate to 200% or something.
  • Change Windows Power Plan to High Performance : Important

pcsx2 0.9.9. has got MSAA Support in the Hacks.
For 1080p choose a 1080p Resolution and change the Internal Resolution.(Higher : Better Visuals : Speed Impact)
[Image: recodersignature2.png]
First thing's first--

Overclock your processor.

Step two--

Read the Configuration Guide.

A bit of advice--

Don't go too crazy with the Speedhacks.
You should usually only need a little bit of something when you find a slow game.

Also-- Don't be afraid to try Software rendering sometimes.
There are some cases where you need it for speed or cleaner graphics.

I recommend you do not change the base framerate.
Trying to solve a problem by setting things improperly just doesn't make sense in this situation. An (overclocked) i5-2500K with a GTX 680 is about literally the best thing you could have for PCSX2, so the system should be doing better (yes-- even with MGS3).

If you are literally peaking at 30FPS with the framelimiter enable, then something is not set right. Either you Power Plan is throttling, you inadvertently enabled Slowmotion mode, or possibly even have PCSX2 settings mixed up. It may be best for you to re-download PCSX2 and start fresh. I recommend you use a binary package (either PCSX2 0.9.8 or an official SVN), and set it up in a custom location like "C:\PCSX2\".
(04-29-2012, 10:14 AM)Rezard Wrote: First thing's first--

Overclock your processor.

Step two--

Read the Configuration Guide.

A bit of advice--

Don't go too crazy with the Speedhacks.
You should usually only need a little bit of something when you find a slow game.

Also-- Don't be afraid to try Software rendering sometimes.
There are some cases where you need it for speed or cleaner graphics.

I recommend you do not change the base framerate.
Trying to solve a problem by setting things improperly just doesn't make sense in this situation. An (overclocked) i5-2500K with a GTX 680 is about literally the best thing you could have for PCSX2, so the system should be doing better (yes-- even with MGS3).

If you are literally peaking at 30FPS with the framelimiter enable, then something is not set right. Either you Power Plan is throttling, you inadvertently enabled Slowmotion mode, or possibly even have PCSX2 settings mixed up. It may be best for you to re-download PCSX2 and start fresh. I recommend you use a binary package (either PCSX2 0.9.8 or an official SVN), and set it up in a custom location like "C:\PCSX2\".

Didn't actually think to start completely fresh, after trying everything else... Gonna start from that then.

I tried the V cycle change and it seemed to improve framerate a bit.

Whereabouts should I OC to? I've never actually overclocked before but have a basic idea of how its done

EDIT: Using the newest SVN build and completely default settings (only change is my contol set up) MGS Snake Eater is running at 49 - 50 FPS (normal for PAL?)
Yes-- 50fps is normal, full speed for PAL region games.
And yes-- I also often find that one notch of VU Cycle Stealing to do the trick, when needed. Wink

Normally I wouldn't tell someone so unfamiliar with overclocking to just do some anyway,
but you do have a particular processor that I am well familiar with.
Also, since all 2500K overclock like champions,
and it's literally one single setting to change in BIOS,
let's go ahead and set you up. Smile

Restart your computer,
press the proper key to enter your BIOS setup.
Depending on your motherboard, or manufacturer,
the name of the menu you are looking for may vary.

Look for something along the lines of:
"Advance CPU Config", "OC Tweaker" or "M.I.T. (Motherboard Intelligence Tweaker)".
(EDIT: Looked back, and see you have a Gigabyte. That should be M.I.T.)

In there, you will find an option for the processor (CPU) multiplier (also called "CPU Ratio").
It will be set to 33 by default, for your stock clockrate of 3300Mhz (3.3Ghz).

You should have absolutely no trouble setting it to 40.
That will put you at 4000Mhz (4.0Ghz).
That seems to have done the trick.

Timesplitters is unplayable but im assuming thats due to the emualation, thanks!
Hmmm...

Timesplitters 3 (NTSC) is listed as "Playable" with PCSX2 0.9.8.

What is your issue with the game?
Have you tried Software rendering?