I have some questions
Hello 
First I want to say that i have been using PCSX2 for a lot of time 
I want to say thanks for the developers that did an amazing job.
But I have some questions:
1. Why is the custom resolution option is "not recomended"?
2. I recently started to use Progressive Scan Hack for my ps2 games
now the native resolution of the game is 512x224 insted of 512x448 so when i set the internal resolution option i can't get higher resolution than 4096x1792 and i want to play the game in 4k
If there is a problem to use custom resolution, is there any solution to my problem?
3. Are there any plans to add more "Progressive Scan Hacks"? the diffrence in games are night and day
4. Is there any way to improve the shadow quality in pcsx2

Sponsored links

1. It is not recomemded because it can cause graphical issues in some games. So if you use it and you get weird lines or other artifacts in the game the first advice you will get is to not use custom resolutions. I also think it is more demanding then the traditional resolutions, but someone who knows for sure would have to confirm that part.

2\3. Progressive scan hacks are hacks so instead of alternating 224 lines in an interlaced fashion it just shows 224 and refreshes it, basically half sized deinterlacing. PCSX2 has multiple modes to handle deinterlacing since each has upsides and down sides depending on the game being played. Will more be added... depends if someone wants to make them and whether or not it will completely break a game. Unlike the GameCube most of the games designed for the PS2 were designed with interlacing both behind the scenes and what was displayed to the screen. Some companies even used the quirks of interlacing to do some visuals and get around the limitations of the PS2 video memory.

4. Unless PCSX2 some day adds texture injection (no clue if it will ever have this) and the shadows are simply just textures that could be changed, probably not. Sometimes higher internal resolutions help (depending on how the shadows are made). Aside from that using shaders or anti-aliasing options help. If internal resolution changes don't help and just covering the issue with shaders or AA is not wht you were looking for then there is probably no way to improve shadow quality other then seeing if there is a PC release of the game.
(12-29-2018, 08:37 AM)Red_Tv Wrote: 1. Why is the custom resolution option is "not recomended"?
because people tend to use specific resolutions, and it can "break" some graphics in game, because a PS2 wans't made to run games at a different resolution than the native one. We recommend to use multipliers.
Quote:2. I recently started to use Progressive Scan Hack for my ps2 games
now the native resolution of the game is 512x224 insted of 512x448 so when i set the internal resolution option i can't get higher resolution than 4096x1792 and i want to play the game in 4k
If there is a problem to use custom resolution, is there any solution to my problem?
actually, 4096 is already 4K (now, it depends on what kind of 4k you're looking for).
See what i said above, and use cutom resolution, making your own multiplier. (like 4608*2016)
Quote:3. Are there any plans to add more "Progressive Scan Hacks"? the diffrence in games are night and day
No "plans". Some people make hacks when those are actually doable
Quote:4. Is there any way to improve the shadow quality in pcsx2
what do you mean ? what kind of improvement ?
How could we do it ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
thank you
Quote:1. Why is the custom resolution option is "not recomended"?
Also some features won't work on custom resolution which will cause an entire feature to be broken and display garbage on the screen.
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5