I'm sure yet another setup quesiton
Thanks for all the replies chaps. Great community here.

(06-21-2013, 04:44 AM)DaTankAC Wrote: you would best to change up to a Wolfdale EXXXX CPU for dual-core, if you prefer to remain in your really old socket. PCSX2 can use a third core using the MTVU hack. But the Q series Core 2 Quads typically had lower base frequency and they are quite expensive on the used market.

Thanks Tank. Leaves me with a quandary. I could get A Exxx dual-core: E8600 3.33Hz for around £50
Benchmark: "63.49 FPS - SLUS 20672 - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 4.12 GHz OC - rama"

Some guys on benchmark are getting high O/C + FR on these dual cores, but wonder if because they have hi freq ram - e.g.:

63.12 FPS - SLUS 20672 - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 - 3.8 GHz OC, DDR3 1333 MHz - Bonobi

Mine's 800MHz at best!

P.S. are all Exxx series core duos Wolfdale, or is Wolfdale a specialty version of a Exxx line chip?

So, wondering if investing in one of these CPUs would be worth it or not.

Secondly, the idea of a multi core is more attractive. You can pick up a Quad Q8400 SLGT6 - for about the same price (£50). Runs at 2.66. Now without o/cing (and the hack) this = 3x2.66, right? = 7.98. On the Duo - 2x3.8 = 7.6. Of course - there's o/cing on top for both. Guess would be not as simple as that!

With the quads though, would there be potential in future development of PCSX2 to use 4 instead of 2 or 3 cores? Then there would be clear advantages to buying a four core.

Jees -this is really confusing! Really wanna get PCSX working, cos would just cherry my arcade cab. However, don't' want to be throwing money away either! Replaced the mobo 1ce already! (i know, i know... i shoulda... etc)

thanks jesa and eric - will look into the "high performance power plan trick"

Sponsored links

Yes! The Performance power plan and settings reccs worked great for Tekken 5 Smile

However, Vampire Night is still running @ 20% less than should!

No idea which GPU plugin setting made differences. Guy could go mad changing one thing, play, change another, play....etc. far too many permutations!

But thanks chaps for getting tekken working Smile But main aim = lightgun games (scuse the pun) for my cab Smile

cheers
guess that's the end of this one...
I'll leave it open for a while in case someone has something to say about lightgun games Wink
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Thanks jesalvein. Even went for a bad pun - and didn't cause a reaction Wink

In all seriousness though, would still love some clarity on point raised in post #11. Wonder if I'm going about it wrong...

Smile
Nemmind. In the absence of response, went ahead + bought Core Duo E8500. Just hope I haven't thrown away £40!

On 2Gb - would upgrade to 4Gb make much difference (OK... 3.5 with Windows XP!)
(06-25-2013, 08:39 PM)stigzler Wrote: Nemmind. In the absence of response, went ahead + bought Core Duo E8500. Just hope I haven't thrown away £40!

On 2Gb - would upgrade to 4Gb make much difference (OK... 3.5 with Windows XP!)

You should consider upgrading to 64bit OS if you can, supposing you are thinking of getting more RAM.
Thanks Coornio - but that'd mean clean re-install >.< nightmare on this arcade cab setup.

Soooo fitted my E8500. Wierd thing is, OC'd my Intel Pentium D CPU 3.20GHz up to 4GHz with no problems at all just by increasing clock in bios.

However, can only get this one OC'd to 3.2GHz, then system doesn't start - on same mobo!!! It all a bit convoluted for me.

However, good news is that still plays games a bit better, although if I could only get a few more MHz out of this thing then it might be perfect!

Anyone know how to or where I can find out about OC'ing this CPU on this mobo??

Thanks
Hi stigzler.There is no go if you dont increase your RAM.Your GPU is good.So,just add 2-4gb RAM.
(06-27-2013, 03:58 AM)Rama Saravanan 3 Wrote: Hi stigzler.There is no go if you dont increase your RAM.Your GPU is good.So,just add 2-4gb RAM.

No use of increasing ram.
because pcsx2 only use little of it around 200-250 mb Happy