ISO compression help
I tried to compress my GT4 image in properties and it when down almost 20MB. Its not much but it gives me hope for other images sitting on the 4GB line.
I think that what I may end up needing to do is a mix of these three suggested compression methods per situation I am in.
-There is no way I will be able to compress GT4 enough to fit, but I may be able to split it. 4.9ishGB
-Star ocean on the other hand may be compressible via Advanced properties. 4.1ishGB per disc
-Suikoden III might work with Linuz. At least I have some options now and can play around with these methods.
ect. 4.0ish GB.

I am not sure I will drag this thread on any longer than it needs to. I do not believe many people have issues like this one so I do not see a point in posting my results any further. However, I am interested in Livy's post. Perhaps I can get a reply pertaining to which iso dumping program you are referring to that will split the image and still be able to play the game properly in .iso format.

Again thanks Jesalvein, Miseru 99 and Livy!
i5 2500K 3.3ghz turbo to 4.2ghz
ATI 4850 512MB
8GB DDR3 RAM

Sponsored links

Why not just copy the files to another drive and reformat it? Saves a LOT of hassle and also the slow down NTFS compression can bring.
except hes not using ntfs compression since it has fat32....
(08-15-2012, 08:06 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: except hes not using ntfs compression since it has fat32....

Derp, stupid moment there.

Either way, instead of worrying about compression a reformat to NTFS would be easier.
it would only be easier if the solution was to throw money at the problem. reformatting means i need a place to hold almost 2TB of files ($$Not gunna get another hard drive for that) unless you can format a drive without the files being deleted. I have heard of partitioning without loosing files but I don't want to risk it. Bad past experiences...
i5 2500K 3.3ghz turbo to 4.2ghz
ATI 4850 512MB
8GB DDR3 RAM
windows can resize partitions in disk management
what you can do a very tedious way to do this is
download EASUS partition manager, resize ur all ur free space to new partition with ntfs type and with the space you have, move it to that place,
then when u have more free space on ur fat32 partition, again use EASUS manager, resize and add the unallocated space bak into ur new ntfs partition
Very tedious but easier way i think if u dont want to buy new hdd and want to "reformat"

I had to do this to move my 350gb worth of anime stash
The only effective way to compress game data (and generaly data with executables etc) is using an LZMA compression algorythm which can compress impressively the most important data of a game, which is it's actual code and can even compress a bit more very hard to compress files like videos and audio which always results into some nice percentages. For example I had a game at 4,1GB and compressed it down to 2,3GB. The bad thing is that the compression/decompression routines of this algorythm is waaay too CPU demanding which defeats its realtime usefulness.
As for audio if your music library is not in mp3 (or any other lossy format) you can losslessly compress/encode them to FLAC or APE which results into mathematically the same quality audio but with alot less space needed.
For videos there is not alot that you can do but there are some clever things you could do that I do aswell.
If you have direct DVD or Bluray rips of your movies with LPCM audio you can do unmux the streams, get rid of what you dont need and if you need everything, just encode/compress LPCM audio to FLAC and remux them to mkv and it will result to something like 20%+ smaller file with exactly the same quality.
What PCSX2's ISO plugins need is to take DVD image compression into it's full extent and use a different compression algorythm, more efficient and less CPU demanding (a balance between them) and on top of that move the decompression routine process into a different thread than the one that is responsible for EE+GS+VU1+VU2+IOP recompilation.
(08-16-2012, 03:25 AM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: As for audio if your music library is not in mp3 (or any other lossy format) you can losslessly compress/encode them to FLAC or APE which results into mathematically the same quality audio but with alot less space needed.

Whut? FLACs are 60-70mb per song vs. 4-5mb for an mp3. Add to it the difference in quality is subjective (I don't have $5000 speakers so I can't tell the difference between my VBR v0 rips). Not to mention, with recording the analog audio was converted to digital so you already lost quality.

Realistically, your best bet is to do the partition moving game. Any compression will introduce drawbacks and headaches down the line.
M4A's are even smaller than MP3, and have 3x the quality at times