Idle skipping
What I can say about idle skipping is I can say nothing about it. It is an alien concept to me till now and looks somewhat artificial, but let's let the judgement for when I can find something more than personal guessing about "wth is this".
Imagination is where we are truly real

Sponsored links

I couldn't find anything useful to understand what is meant by idle skipping but enough to notice that there is some confusion going on. The max I could find about it being it may affect FPS (and to worse when it is enabled). At another post someone related it with Wii CPU clock what makes a lot more sense for the Broadway is indeed around that 721MHz you are talking about.

If so, what is meant is to force the PC CPU to dedicated only that power to the emulation, probably to help keeping the overall sync (Edited: or more probably the inverse, freeing the actual PC CPU while the emulated CPU is in a wait state). In PCSX2 the equivalent is EE but most CPU already struggles to emulate it's nominal clock, hence the EE cyclerate does reduce "virtually" the clock EE would be running at PS2.

So in a way, and is what I understood, Idle skip is related with EE in PCSX2 and if your information is correct, it does not involve changing the original CPU clock. Just I don't have enough data yet to make complete sense of what the heck is it.

Whatever the interpretation, by the reports it is not yet what you are seeking, it is not directly related to FPS at all and does not look likes is meant to increase performance but accuracy. "Edit: this last interpretation is probably incorrect".

Edit: sorry, I did a mess with previous edits on this post, in resume this edit is to say that's better for me to wait till knowing a bit more what is "idle skipping" in this context before judging it's portential value and portential danger.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(04-05-2013, 02:35 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: At another post someone related it with Wii CPU clock what makes a lot more sense for the Broadway is indeed around that 721MHz you are talking about.
may be dependance limit skipping if cpu clock couldn't handle it?
How about skipping screen update?
That's what frame skipping is.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Isn't it VU skipping?
No vu skipping no longer exists
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]