If PCSX supported multi-threaded ?
Just wonder how much performance is increased. Will it be able to run in 480 STP score CPU like Atom Quad Core ?

I read some topics around here and found that PCSX2 only work on single-threaded (if it was wrong, correct me) and won't support multi-thread soon because it's too hard and too much of work in coding.

And what happened to the development ? I have seen the PCSX2 homepage says last Git commit is 2 weeks ago Sad
I really really excited to see the new stable version but since 1.2.1 was released, it's been about a year without new version. Are the developers taking a break ?

Sponsored links

pcsx2 can use at least 2 threads. Using a speedhack that breaks some games you can at least get 3 threads.
If you renderer in sw you get an infinite amount of threads at least for the gs.

Multi-threading is only reasonable if you don't need synchronization between threads or synchronizations takes a shorter amount of time than what you save by using multiple threads. Both is questionable for pcsx2 if you want to get even more threads (e.g. multithreaded EE).
(03-20-2015, 12:58 PM)BouncingBreasts Wrote: Just wonder how much performance is increased. Will it be able to run in 480 STP score CPU like Atom Quad Core ?
No, it won't be enough for pcsx2.

(03-20-2015, 12:58 PM)BouncingBreasts Wrote: I really really excited to see the new stable version but since 1.2.1 was released, it's been about a year without new version. Are the developers taking a break ?
The new stable release will be available when, there has been a lot of changes Implemented and when the devs think, it's ready for it. No, the developers aren't taking break. they are still working on lots of commits and Implementing changes.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
By default PCSX2 uses 2 threads. You can enable MTVU and PCSX2 will use 3 threads but it breaks some games. The software mode of GSdx support unlimited threads. You can specify the number of extra rendering threads.
I imagine we would see a very noticeable speedup for Atoms, the Kabini-based Athlons, any APU or FX chip, even the i5, i7 and Xeon E3s.

PCSX2 by default supports two threads/cores and speedhacks allow all the way to three cores.
Moe: [to Homer] And I'm pulling your favorite song out of the jukebox.
Homer: "It's Raining Men"?!
Moe: Yeah, not no more, it ain't. [throws the record out the window which lands into Smithers' car]
Smithers: Ow! [looks at the record] Ohhh.

what would ;e; do
PCSX2 doesn't benefit from more cores.
This is a pretty fundamental thing, having to do with how emulation via recompilers works.
We're happy to have a little threading going on with the MTVU hack but this is the best we can do right now.
Even this option took a lot of hope about games not relying on strict sync between the EE and the VUs.

In short: More performance won't be had with adding more cores.
PCSX2 needs more instructions per clock and more clock speed.
There aren't any other shortcuts to exploit (that we know of Wink ).
(03-21-2015, 05:30 AM)rama Wrote: PCSX2 doesn't benefit from more cores.
This is a pretty fundamental thing, having to do with how emulation via recompilers works.
We're happy to have a little threading going on with the MTVU hack but this is the best we can do right now.
Even this option took a lot of hope about games not relying on strict sync between the EE and the VUs.

In short: More performance won't be had with adding more cores.
PCSX2 needs more instructions per clock and more clock speed.
There aren't any other shortcuts to exploit (that we know of Wink ).

other then have the god chip that does every 1000 times fast then best cpu we have right? Biggrin
(03-20-2015, 12:58 PM)BouncingBreasts Wrote: Just wonder how much performance is increased. Will it be able to run in 480 STP score CPU like Atom Quad Core ?

I read some topics around here and found that PCSX2 only work on single-threaded (if it was wrong, correct me) and won't support multi-thread soon because it's too hard and too much of work in coding.

And what happened to the development ? I have seen the PCSX2 homepage says last Git commit is 2 weeks ago Sad
I really really excited to see the new stable version but since 1.2.1 was released, it's been about a year without new version. Are the developers taking a break ?

Atom couldn't handle PCSX2. That uarch/line was absolutely dreadful even for mainstream consumers, lol. Bobcat took a dump on it and Jaguar set it on fire and walked away for comparison.
(03-21-2015, 11:42 AM)NarooN Wrote: Atom couldn't handle PCSX2. That uarch/line was absolutely dreadful even for mainstream consumers, lol. Bobcat took a dump on it and Jaguar set it on fire and walked away for comparison.

We might be talking about the newer tablet Atoms...

But yes, Jaguar (Kabini specifically) >>>>>>>>>>> Atom
Moe: [to Homer] And I'm pulling your favorite song out of the jukebox.
Homer: "It's Raining Men"?!
Moe: Yeah, not no more, it ain't. [throws the record out the window which lands into Smithers' car]
Smithers: Ow! [looks at the record] Ohhh.

what would ;e; do
(03-21-2015, 11:42 AM)NarooN Wrote: Atom couldn't handle PCSX2. That uarch/line was absolutely dreadful even for mainstream consumers, lol. Bobcat took a dump on it and Jaguar set it on fire and walked away for comparison.

I think he's talking about the newer atoms(bay-trail?), which are pretty comparable to jaguar.