Implement EE on MIPS
Hey Guys,

I am new here. I have been lately reading up on emulators in general and how they work. From my research I found out that the EE chip is based on a MIPS architecture which makes it difficult to emulate on an say x86 system, which is why emulation is slow. My question is if I implemented the emulator on an actual MIPS development board, will it run at full speed?

Sponsored links

With the disclaimer that I know *nothing* of MIPS development. I feel you'll have few issues here:
1) The actual emulator code is heavily aimed at x86 (and x86-64 to some extent).. Thus the emulator part where it emulates the original functionality.
2) I'd imagine you'll have a number of potential issues with input, data, saves, sound, video, etc on a dev board.

So short version is likely a 'no' due to the simple fact that this is an 'emulator', not a wrapper around original MIPS-optimized code.
Thanks MrWizard... What if I implemented the emulator from scratch on a MIPS chip? DO you reckon it will run at full speed? If it does there are lots of wonderful ps2 cloud gaming possibilities one can build.
problem is you could maybe recreate the original system, but what about the gs ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(07-15-2021, 07:00 PM)jesalvein Wrote: problem is you could maybe recreate the original system, but what about the gs ?

What's gs?
(07-17-2021, 12:20 AM)mvadrev Wrote: What's gs?

Oh the graphics synth.. Just found it! So if we software emulate everything and write actual mips instructions and use an actual real MIPS processor, do you think it will be any better that it is now?
There's more to the EE than just it's ISA. It's a amalgamation of an EE core and a number of specialized co-processors (VUs, IPU, etc). I feel like the spirit of the question is "what if the EE core/IOP jits/interpreters weren't a factor?" and the answer is yes it would be faster if we didn't have to translate those instructions (that's a given) but it would still suffer many of the problems including performance because the issue isn't that mips is expensive to translate into x86, it's that emulating the other aspects (timings, VUs, GS, etc) are.
[Image: HkgHT5k.gif]
もっとちゃんと言ってよ
忘れないようメモにしてよ

Daym its a hard project.. so I guess the only way to create a ps2 cloud gaming server is to hook output the os2 hdmi into a raspberry pi and sstream the game over vnc