Improve FFX performance on my tablet
I really don't get HOW does he play it at 50 fps and get slowdowns on FMV's and not during normal gameplay,if on a slow Athlon like mine (3800+,Single core,2.4Ghz) FMV's are played fine (i even need to set on the FL),and then the speed drops to 15-20 FPS when walking around,except in empty/small areas. Plus,it's on a mobile device,so you can't rely on the GPU either. But anyway,if he didn't already,AFAIK he could try to set the EE Cyclerate to 2-3,and set the SPU settings to the lowest,or try to disable native resolution and set to custom 512x512 (I don't get any speedup even on 256x256,but it's worth a try) (Whenever i want to mess with games,i always disable the sound so i can get a little speedup,but this is not the case i suppose)
Don't get me wrong,i'm no genius at all,it's just what i did the first time i started to use PCSX2,so i knew how much my PC was (and still is) slow.
[Image: ezgif_com_gif_maker_1.gif]
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3800+ @2.4Ghz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB
RAM: 4GB

Sponsored links

(08-04-2014, 08:07 PM)Frozen_Raven Wrote: If the PCSX2 version the same is as the Windows version I have one tip for the Demi/Fire scenes in the game.
In GSDX window tick (Enable HW Hacks) and then select configure.
Then use Skipdraw = 1
and enable Aggressive-CRC
This solved all my slowdowns in FFX and I am surprised that no one else ever suggests this...
The rest you should leave it on default, no speedhacks or whatever (It never helped me)
Skipdraw and Aggressive-CRC doesn't break any of the games that I play till now (I keep it allways on)
I hope this helps.

Thanks for this! I've yet to run into demi again but fire is perfect. I just played for 30mins with the only slowdown being at the FMV.

Also thanks willkuer for the tip about async audio, this has given me a huge improvement to the quality of audio especially between loading screens and in dialogue where it would stutter at the start of a conversation.

So assuming demi goes well I've only got two issues left.

FMV's run slow, the FMV when you meet Yuna was 8fps below normal, and the FMV after that was only 3fps... strange. EE is at 100% which indicates the CPU.

There was a highly detailed background later on where I got a 3fps drop and I noticed VU was 100%.

I thought I would try the clamping idea and turned VU Clamping to none which appears to massively improve performance and returned it to the regular fps.

My only worry is any particular downsides, I understand having this option set can cause issues, would this just be crashing? I'm just worried that I could corrupt my save or something down the track will be forever broken where changing clamping back to normal won't fix it anymore?

Also I checked clamping for EE and it didn't appear to improve FMV's, looks like I'm stuck with that.. but its not a big deal.

(08-05-2014, 02:34 AM)ZackFair Wrote: I really don't get HOW does he play it at 50 fps and get slowdowns on FMV's and not during normal gameplay,if on a slow Athlon like mine

I have no idea since my game is basically perfect except for FMV's now.

My theory is the PCSX2 uses 3 cores... FMV's might only be able to process on one core?

Also I've tried all sorts of cycle stealing.. none seem to give me a definite improvement, EE Cycle Stealing doesn't help FMV's and VU cycle stealing gives me a weird kind of frame loss/jitter.
FMV most often use the EE alone but they really stress it. They use the EE SIMD instructions to process large data sets on the IPU decoded data.
In some games the VU also are used to help and in that case you'd get different performance in FMV when enabling the VU cycle steal hack.
I don't understand why the EE cycle hack doesn't change anything for you though: It should.
(08-05-2014, 01:24 PM)rama Wrote: FMV most often use the EE alone but they really stress it. They use the EE SIMD instructions to process large data sets on the IPU decoded data.
In some games the VU also are used to help and in that case you'd get different performance in FMV when enabling the VU cycle steal hack.
I don't understand why the EE cycle hack doesn't change anything for you though: It should.

Well the first level didn't do anything but I never tried the 2nd level since it warns that it will cause stuttering in FMV's anyway. I'll try it anyway though.

So does could you or anyone know if setting my VU clamping to none is ok?
It won't crash your game if you change clamping but there's a high chance that you'll get graphic or logic issues with that.
So disable clamping if you want. If you get issues, try reverting first.
(08-06-2014, 01:29 PM)rama Wrote: It won't crash your game if you change clamping but there's a high chance that you'll get graphic or logic issues with that.
So disable clamping if you want. If you get issues, try reverting first.

is there a chance i could permanently damage\corrupt my save file?
Besides, This game is known to have a weird behavior when you get a certain vehicle (at least in one it's areas) which claims for having advanced clamping modes.

So, you can let the clamping disabled and as stated by rama already, try them if noticing strange behaviors like backward facing enemies and so on. The above reported behavior in the vehicle is like the controls are inverted (or like you was under a confusion spell of sorts Smile ).
Imagination is where we are truly real
As far as i know,the only issue i got for FFX it that sometimes the enemies/characters have backwards positions,and to solve that i set VUs to Extra + Preserve Sign,don't set EE/IOP clamping to Full,cause it'll probably slow down the game a bit,or at least for me,slowdowns are what i get.
[Image: ezgif_com_gif_maker_1.gif]
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3800+ @2.4Ghz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB
RAM: 4GB
I think Blyss found that you have to set change rounding (to negative ?) to avoid this situation... But maybe he is online at some point to confirm this?
(08-06-2014, 02:10 PM)ZackFair Wrote: As far as i know,the only issue i got for FFX it that sometimes the enemies/characters have backwards positions,and to solve that i set VUs to Extra + Preserve Sign,don't set EE/IOP clamping to Full,cause it'll probably slow down the game a bit,or at least for me,slowdowns are what i get.

Advanced clamping modes are demanding on performance and should be avoided unless to solve specific problems.

In the case of backward facing enemies for example, use them only till passing the situation then return to normal ("none" only if absolutely necessary for performance, one should think twice before trying it).

Anyway, most people I know including myself had that issue in the vehicle, if it happens you know what to do, or maybe enjoy the opportunity to train how to move under confusion spell... Smile
Imagination is where we are truly real