Improve FFX performance on my tablet
I know there are plenty of threads but they all seem old or confusing.

I have the Toshiba Encore with the Atom Z3740 CPU running the PAL version of FFX.

It runs at the 50fps it should be, but there are slowdowns for certain spells, FMV's and other random things and I think its generally the CPU's fault because the EE reaches 100%. Very playable but I was wondering if there was a way to improve it.

I'm running at native resolution, DX11, all speed hacks enabled and fiddling with cycle stealing didn't seem to do much besides make it stutter.

Does anyone use cycle stealing with FFX and does it improve it?
Are there any other options that are not obvious that improve performance? Such as fiddling with EE/IOP or VU settings?
Would an older PCSX2 or plugin version improve performance?
Do any of those custom configs actually work? I always look through them and can't find anything special.

Sponsored links

Even though its CPU is 4 cores at 1.8GHz, don't forget that's it's a mobile device designed for both performance but also conserving as much energy as possible, which means would get much lower scores compared to a version of the same CPU made for desktop use.
PCSX2 relies heavily on single thread performance, and that thing just won't cut it. I predict that you would require around 3GHz per core in order to get acceptable horsepower to run the game. And then again i do not know how its GPU would fare.

I say stick to PS1 emulation.
(08-03-2014, 04:34 AM)Coornio Wrote: Even though its CPU is 4 cores at 1.8GHz, don't forget that's it's a mobile device designed for both performance but also conserving as much energy as possible, which means would get much lower scores compared to a version of the same CPU made for desktop use.
PCSX2 relies heavily on single thread performance, and that thing just won't cut it. I predict that you would require around 3GHz per core in order to get acceptable horsepower to run the game. And then again i do not know how its GPU would fare.

I say stick to PS1 emulation.

So despite the fact that I only occasionally get slowdowns you say I should stick to PS1 emulation?

Oh no.. it dropped 10fps below normal fps for 5 seconds... lets quit the game completely?

I don't think you thought out your post properly... if I had a 3ghz processor with the same FPS drop you would probably have tried to help.

For you to suggest I need to turn my 1.8ghz cpu to 3.0ghz just to counter a 10fps drop that happens occasionally would suggest you don't know what your talking about.
(08-03-2014, 06:25 AM)samfisher5986 Wrote: So despite the fact that I only occasionally get slowdowns you say I should stick to PS1 emulation?

Oh no.. it dropped 10fps below normal fps for 5 seconds... lets quit the game completely?

I don't think you thought out your post properly... if I had a 3ghz processor with the same FPS drop you would probably have tried to help.

For you to suggest I need to turn my 1.8ghz cpu to 3.0ghz just to counter a 10fps drop that happens occasionally would suggest you don't know what your talking about.

he know exactly what he talking about 1.8 wont cut it, FFX one the LEST demanding games and for it to not run full speed you have to have a really slow system. I would not be surprised it is throttling do to heat which this emulator will cause, rather easy on laptops, forget about tablet they have no fan so heat gona be even more of issue

Tablet cpu are not ment for this either play it on ps2 get better system.

you can mess with VU/EE hacks but it MIGHT help but it will also break thing.

Mobile 1.8hghz is just to slow in most cases.
Won't you won't fix the slow down. That's that.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(08-03-2014, 06:46 AM)tsunami2311 Wrote: he know exactly what he talking about 1.8 wont cut it, FFX one the LEST demanding games and for it to not run full speed you have to have a really slow system. I would not be surprised it is throttling do to heat which this emulator will cause, rather easy on laptops, forget about tablet they have no fan so heat gona be even more of issue

Tablet cpu are not ment for this either play it on ps2 get better system.

you can mess with VU/EE hacks but it MIGHT help but it will also break thing.

Mobile 1.8hghz is just to slow in most cases.

That makes no sense

My tablet is not overheating, its not downclocking. The slowdowns are happens for specific effects etc, I'm surprised you don't understand this.

I'm asking if there is such a thing as improve performance in PCSX2, it seems that you guys don't know how to do this so I don't know why you are posting.

This is really strange coming from you because your signature has a low end PC/Laptop link... if that helped even a little that would be perfect but I'm being told its impossible to improve performance.

I hope you guys realise that only a small improvement is needed, the game already plays fine, I just need a little bit more performance to get rid of the occasional slowdowns

Again I'm already playing this game, I'm asking for an improvement, I'm not asking permission to play the damn thing because the performance is fine
(08-03-2014, 07:48 AM)samfisher5986 Wrote: That makes no sense

My tablet is not overheating, its not downclocking.

I'm asking if there is such a thing as improve performance in PCSX2, it seems that you guys don't know how to do this so I don't know why you are posting.

This is really strange coming from you because your signature has a low end PC/Laptop link... if that helped even a little that would be perfect but I'm being told its impossible to improve performance.

I hope you guys realise that only a small improvement is needed, the game already plays fine, I just need a little bit more performance to get rid of the occasional slowdowns

Again I'm already playing this game, I'm asking for an improvement, I'm not asking permission to play the damn thing because the performance is fine

You aren't going to be able to improve anything. That's that.
(08-03-2014, 07:52 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: You aren't going to be able to improve anything. That's that.

So why not put a sticky at the top of this sub-forum and say that PCSX2 performance improvements are impossible?

You are just trolling...

For all you know you could suggest I change to DX9 or trying an older version and that would be the solution but you are saying any solution is impossible.
well since not many people actually using a tablet not much people would be able to help you, it is known that Final Fantasy X can run on slower devices, but since there is not anyone here that uses a tablet with a PS2 emulator that I know off you might be out of luck, besides as far as I know did the PCSX2 never made a PS2 emulator team for tablets/Android/iOS or windows mobile, I just also read that you have slowdowns with some spells, it is known that the Demi and Fire spells can cause some desktops even to a crawl, you can't do much about that besides getting a faster device.
(08-03-2014, 07:53 AM)samfisher5986 Wrote: So why not put a sticky at the top of this sub-forum and say that PCSX2 performance improvements are impossible?

You are just trolling...

I didn't get 4500 posts and 74 rep by trolling. Here's a tip. Lose the attitude. You're just pissing people off now.