Improve Perfomance
Hi there, I am running ubuntu 20.04 with the default graphics card on a dell inspirion (I realize its not great). Maybe I am hoping for too much, but I would like to be able to run some of the heavier games in my collection. I was successfully able to get the system up and running this morning. I just test the games in my collection and the majority of the lego video games seem to run smoothly.

However, I run into issues when trying to play Madden 10 (playable but super slow), Fifa 11, Fifa 07 and NBA 2k8. Both of the Fifas freeze at the screen where it says press any button to continue (so I can't really enter the menu section of the game, let alone play it), so they seem unplayable at the moment. NBA 2k8 runs super smoothly until I play a game. Then, when in-game cut scenes kick in the game slows down to a crawl, at one point freezing my entire system.

I have been running isos for all of these games since I read that improves performance. I am currently playing with the MUTV setting to see if that fixes anything, but I haven't had much luck for those 4 games.

Also happy to post any extra information if needed!

Sponsored links

Can you please post the emulog ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(05-16-2021, 07:29 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Can you please post the emulog ?

Is this the emulog? This is for fifa 07.

Attached Files
.txt   log.txt (Size: 14,98 KB / Downloads: 124)
sooooo...
considering you lack a decent gpu, you will have a hard time with most games.

moreover, 1.5.0 is outdated and unsupported.
i suggest you update pcsx2
Is there an easy way to update from the current version? Or an easy way to update using a package manager? I believe I installed this version via the ppa.

Or do I have to run the script from the linux download and then install all of the dependencies that the script needs? Also, under the linux download on the site it seems to have version 1.4, could you point me to where I could find the latest supported version?
i think you can install properly from ppa :
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:pcsx2-team/pcsx2-daily
sudo apt update
sudo apt install pcsx2-unstable
(05-16-2021, 08:47 AM)jesalvein Wrote: i think you can install properly from ppa :
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:pcsx2-team/pcsx2-daily
sudo apt update
sudo apt install pcsx2-unstable

Appreciate it, I think I must have downloaded it with an older ppa. I'll give it a go and hope it works. If I still get the same freeze do you have any idea what I could try fiddling with? Or at that point is it just need a better gpu?
don't really know since i don't own any of the fifa games.
iirc, they tend not to like mtvu speedhack
Well, upgrading to the new version did seem to help. I tried the mtvu speedhack, but it was even worse - it froze on the initial loading screen like some other people reported (the screen just stays black, can't even load your profile). I also tried the safest version of speedhack - didn't really change anything.

I can get into the game now and move around fine on menu screens. I can even setup my team before a match, but once the match starts to load, the loading bar stops very early on in the load bar (seems to be about the same place each time). Music still plays, the loading bar just stops. I may not be able to play actual matches, but it does seem the rest works

I've gone ahead and posted the log for when this occurs for fifa 07, maybe there is something useful in there? I keep seeing a TLB miss, which makes me think it just can't load something and that's why it stops where it does, but not really sure. It's not the end of the world if I can't play matches, as at least I can quick/visual sim so at least I have a football manager like game. I wouldn't be surprised if this is as good as it gets.

I'm going to test and see if the other games work better.

Attached Files
.txt   log2.txt (Size: 15,55 KB / Downloads: 123)
thos tlb miss errors often come from a bad dump.
did you get any error when dumping the game from your DVD ?