Improving fps for FFX (battles)
I've recently got pcsx2 working and I'm in the process of trying to optimize the various settings for running FFX. I can get 50-60 fps + outside of battle scenes but inside battle scenes the fps drops to maybe 25-30 fps.

My computer is not particularly powerful but I was wondering if anyone could suggest any settings etc. I could try to cause even a slight improvement. Thanks!

Computer specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5870 @ 2.00 GHz
1.87 GB RAM
Running Windows XP with SP 3
Graphics: Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family (1024 MB)

As far as I know I have the latest drivers for my graphics and directx.

I am using the latest pcsx2 beta with a GSdx version I downloaded a day or two ago (so up to date). Using the SSSE3 rather than SSE2.

I am running from an iso of my disc rather than the dvd.

I am using several Speedhacks - EE x2 cycle rate, Idle Loop Fast-Forward and slight VU Cycle Stealing.

I seem to get better results with Direct3D9 (Software) rather than Hardware. Performance is also as good if not slightly better with ZeroGS rather than GSdx.

I have both Clamp modes set to zero in the Advanced settings, as well as Flush to Zero and Denormals are Zero selected.

Sponsored links

Hm seems like that onboard intel gfx chip is really crap...that's why you get better FPS in software mode than in hardware..not much you can do about that seeing as this is a laptop you are using.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(06-30-2009, 02:35 PM)Bositman Wrote: Hm seems like that onboard intel gfx chip is really crap...that's why you get better FPS in software mode than in hardware..not much you can do about that seeing as this is a laptop you are using.

Yeah, it is not a chip designed for playing games. I guess overclocking the CPU would make some difference since I am running software rather than hardware? I haven't tried that before though.

Is it possible I'd get slightly better results with a slightly older version of GSdx (rather than the most recent release)?

Maybe I should try changing the Speed Hack settings... I don't know anything about this microVU stuff but am I right it is irrelevant for me?

Thanks a lot for your time.
If you're going to use software mode of GSdx,the latest one will be the fastest. Try hardware mode with 0.1.7 or so,it will be faster but I don't think it will be faster than SW for you...
I would not recommend overclocking a laptop,you would have a very high chance of frying it,since laptops don't have adequate cooling even for normal use,let alone overclocked
[Image: newsig.jpg]
You cud try installing Vista or beta win7 for dx10 i think it can give you a slight improvment in fps