Improving savestates?
Lightbulb 
When playing fullscreen it becomes hard to keep track of savestates. I'm curious if any of these features are possible to implement

1. When you press F2 to switch slots, show the current slot number in the corner of the screen. It'd be even cooler if each savestate had a screenshot to go with it

2. Prompt when overwriting. This could be an option you toggle like savestate backup for those who don't want it.

Also I'm wondering if it's possible to set hotkeys for gsdx resolution change. Ex: Shift+F1 = Native, Shift+F2 = 2x, etc. I'm sure we all have certain games that can be played in 4x easily, while others require 2x Unsure

Sponsored links

I know there was a plan for a OSD in gsdx for awhile, but the amount of work to implement it makes it less likely, not that many people are willing to mess with gsdx Smile
I also suggested better hotkey implementation for awhile but since gsdx is separate from pcsx2 its up to gabest(or other gsdx coders) to code this into the plugin.

but i agree it would be nice to have a osd and some hotkeys for commonly used settings.
the Log tells you which slot you're using.

implementing an OSD isn't all that hard, you can see an example of it in VBA's source.
Maybe it's "not hard" looking at DX9 example, but it needs to be done differently for every different renderer, that's a pain;P.

Changing internal res shouldn't be that hard through. It's all about writing like 2 new functions 1 to increase multiplier, and one to decrease it which has at least few existing things to learn from(or rather to copy&paste from like software/hardware switch which was even fixed not soo long ago, just instead of switching renderer, switch multiplier the rest is same - reset GS state to apply it), assigning a keys to them is rather easy doesn't really matter, if it's GSdx or the rest of PCSX2. Maybe hotkeys of GSdx lack customization like PCSX2 ones, but the code for them is as well clear and readable, I guess it would be harder to decide a good key/s as most fun ones are taken.
Well I don't think hooking into a 3d app is hard I actually did it before for a translation program using a custom d3d9.dll proxy, in fullscreen 3d games (would show the translated text at the top of the screen like an osd as you clicked along).
I remember reading before that it was really complicated for gsdx though for some reason, I forget the exact details since it was when gabest used to come on irc, maybe it has changed since then.

As for hotkeys yea plenty of examples in gsdx (from the psx side with the Insert,home, pgup,pgdwn,end,delete) and the F9 on the ps2 side, just someone would need to take the task on Tongue2
(07-03-2012, 07:26 AM)miseru99 Wrote: Maybe it's "not hard" looking at DX9 example, but it needs to be done differently for every different renderer, that's a pain;P.

Changing internal res shouldn't be that hard through. It's all about writing like 2 new functions 1 to increase multiplier, and one to decrease it which has at least few existing things to learn from(or rather to copy&paste from like software/hardware switch which was even fixed not soo long ago, just instead of switching renderer, switch multiplier the rest is same - reset GS state to apply it), assigning a keys to them is rather easy doesn't really matter, if it's GSdx or the rest of PCSX2. Maybe hotkeys of GSdx lack customization like PCSX2 ones, but the code for them is as well clear and readable, I guess it would be harder to decide a good key/s as most fun ones are taken.

Infact, it doesn't even have to be implemented in GSDX, it can be done in any of the plugins or even the ui itself. (Nrage has this for controller paks swapping)
Interesting, I tried to make an FPS counter to be seen at fullscreen once, but after thinking I would be able to get only DX9 one on my own I didn't even tried, couse I always stick to DX10/11 in gsdx.>.<
(07-03-2012, 05:36 AM)synce Wrote: 1. When you press F2 to switch slots, show the current slot number in the corner of the screen. It'd be even cooler if each savestate had a screenshot to go with it

2. Prompt when overwriting. This could be an option you toggle like savestate backup for those who don't want it.

Also I'm wondering if it's possible to set hotkeys for gsdx resolution change. Ex: Shift+F1 = Native, Shift+F2 = 2x, etc. I'm sure we all have certain games that can be played in 4x easily, while others require 2x Unsure

absolutely FANTASTIC suggestions!!! I cannot stand now being able to see which state in currently on without having to Alt+Enter and look at the log. Having it in a gui while in fullscreen would be a blessing!!
I also would like to have for example * next to it if the slot is not empty