In-game running slowly
Hi, I'm new here and I'm in desperate need of a solution for this problem!

Basically I've installed PCSX2 to the fullest extent. When I run games everything starts smoothly, splash screens are fine, FMV's run smoothly and menus run at normal speed as well. At these points I usually have 60+ FPS. The problems start when I actually begin playing. My FPS drops dramatically to around 30-40, audio is distorted and slow and the gameplay suddenly becomes very slow. Everything renders correctly but it's just slow for some reason.

I've read countless threads with no solution. My PC specs seems like they're good enough except maybe my CPU however I have read that some people are running PCSX2 fine on lower models. Anyway here they are:-

ASRock N68C-S
4GB 1330mhz DD3 RAM
AMD/ATI Saphire HD 7850 OC edition 2GB
AMD Athlon XII 3.0ghz

From what I've read my PC should be meeting the minimum requirements for running the games. So far I've tried, Metal Gear Solid 2, Tony Hawks 4, Burnout 3 and Devil May Cry, all with the same issue; everything runs smoothly until the actual gameplay starts. Cutscenes are fine, menus are fine etc.

Thank you!

Sponsored links

Indeed you do meet the minimum requirements, however they are not "minimum requirements to run games smoothly" Tongue

Soem games can be a lot more demanding than others, i would guess Devil May Cry will be the fastest out of the games you listed.

Your CPU is what is holding you back, is that an Athlon X2 or Athlon II? Also how many cores?

If it is a 3-4 core processor, you can enable the "MTVU" speedhack and it will help greatly. If not you will possibly need to overclock.

Failing that, the only things i can suggest is make sure gsdx has the "Native" box ticked and try the recommended speedhacks.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(10-10-2012, 11:57 AM)refraction Wrote: Indeed you do meet the minimum requirements, however they are not "minimum requirements to run games smoothly" Tongue

Soem games can be a lot more demanding than others, i would guess Devil May Cry will be the fastest out of the games you listed.

Your CPU is what is holding you back, is that an Athlon X2 or Athlon II? Also how many cores?

If it is a 3-4 core processor, you can enable the "MTVU" speedhack and it will help greatly. If not you will possibly need to overclock.

Failing that, the only things i can suggest is make sure gsdx has the "Native" box ticked and try the recommended speedhacks.

I had a feeling it was this which was holding me back since I've read that PCSX2 Emulation is CPU intensive. The processor is an AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core Processor.

Can you recommend any other games to try in order to gauge what can run smoothly and what can't? I just tried FFX and it was fine even in gameplay but with some lags every so often, in battle mode for instance.

EDIT: Also I'm running the games from ISO's on my computer and not from disk.
Monster Hunter (if you can find it in the shops) runs pretty quick despite being 3d, unfortunately a lot of 3d games do need quite a bit of power. You are already trying FFX which is reasonably light, Kingdom Hearts is another game (which is also very good) that doesn't consume too much power.

But ultimately, its overclock, play with speedhacks or get a new cpu. You could probably fit a Phenom processor in to your board which will bring improvement, however PCSX2 takes advantage of SSE4 which will bring a very nice increase in speed, but this requires either a modern AMD FX processor or an Intel Core i# processor, earlier ones do not support it (AMD only support SSE4a before this, which is different)

I'd also recommend a quad core as we can take advantage of 3 cores, which can bring huge performance boosts.

(10-10-2012, 12:25 PM)refraction Wrote: Monster Hunter (if you can find it in the shops) runs pretty quick despite being 3d, unfortunately a lot of 3d games do need quite a bit of power. You are already trying FFX which is reasonably light, Kingdom Hearts is another game (which is also very good) that doesn't consume too much power.

But ultimately, its overclock, play with speedhacks or get a new cpu. You could probably fit a Phenom processor in to your board which will bring improvement, however PCSX2 takes advantage of SSE4 which will bring a very nice increase in speed, but this requires either a modern AMD FX processor or an Intel Core i# processor, earlier ones do not support it (AMD only support SSE4a before this, which is different)

I'd also recommend a quad core as we can take advantage of 3 cores, which can bring huge performance boosts.

OK, thanks for the replies. I'll probably try overclocking this one for now but ultimately I'll buy a new quad core Phenom or something.

Cheers!
You're welcome! Good luck Smile

btw too much overclocking is bad. it may ruin your machine
And even the Phenoms aren't the best processors. Just a heads up Tongue2